Bayonne, NJ Port sold ????

jobu

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that the port in Bayonne, NJ was sold? According to the rumor, RCL would not be sailing from that port beyond 2014. If true, I would imagine that would include Celebrity sailings. Say it isn't so. :(:confused::(

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that the port in Bayonne, NJ was sold? According to the rumor, RCL would not be sailing from that port beyond 2014. If true, I would imagine that would include Celebrity sailings. Say it isn't so. :(:confused::(

Thats what I have heard. Was looking for the post about it but it seems to have vanished. ?????????

Guest LoveMyBoxer

All I can say is thank goodness! That has to be one of the worst ports ever! Unless they change the configuration, those shuttle buses are a disaster. Should give people the option to walk to the ship.

Just can't imagine that happening since, EX sails at full capacity more often, than not. You would think that even if it were sold, they would make every attempt of continued usage. If true, I wonder if there is anywhere else nearby that they could sail from.

All I can say is thank goodness! That has to be one of the worst ports ever! Unless they change the configuration, those shuttle buses are a disaster. Should give people the option to walk to the ship.

I agree that the port needs an overhaul, but you can't dispute how easy it is to sail without having to fly, especially for those of us on the east coast.

The port isn't exactly configured as a terminal for cruise ships as there is no real terminal building and crosswalk or tube to get onto the ship. But obviously it has been working for years in it's current configuration because as others have said Explorer is very popular and sails full most of the time.

I sailed from Bayonne once and hated the port. Never again...

I know that the port leaves a bad impression (scary looking), but we have sailed from there numerous times, and have always been impressed with how quickly we have made it onto the ship. Our vacation begins with little effort.

Having said that, we have also had to fly for other sailings, and I try to avoid that whenever I can. I would much rather spend a few extra dollars to sail from Bayonne. Just simplifies things when you don't have to factor in travel time and additional cost to port. Lets not forget weight or security restrictions for your luggage either.

I would think that RCCL [which includes RCI and Celebrity] sailings from Cape Liberty are separate from whether the port is sold UNLESS the sale involves restructuring to eliminate the port.

It appears that Cape Liberty is owned by Bayonne [or some governmental organization - it is not entirely clear to me]. Quoting from http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

Cape Liberty is an integral part of the multi-billion dollar redevelopment of The Peninsula.

In the early stages of a major transformation by the City of Bayonne and the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority, The Peninsula will be home to new residents and businesses that will overlook a neighboring golf course, marina and park.

That sounds to me it sounds like the port is staying and will be upgraded.

Thom

Disaster? You are on the shuttle for less than three minutes, and we've never had a problem with that after sailing out of Bayonne five times. We love the convenience and ease of sailing out of Bayonne, so this is not great news :(

I would bet that some real estate developer is snatching up that property. Just what NJ needs--more cars, more traffic, more people.

teddie

First of all this better NOT mean the end of RCCL in NJ, lets hope not because its so convenient. We love love sailing out of NJ, I do NOT fly so this is perfect. I will be very angry if this is the case. As for the Port itself while it is not beautiful by any stretch but its not that bad. Ports are just something you need to get through to get to the ship, its not a big deal. The bus is really not a big deal at all, you're on it fir 3 minutes like someone else said. Please keep us up to date on any new news? I will be very interested in more news and I will keep my ears open.

While I agree that Bayonne is very convenient, I am not in a rush to sail Explorer again any time soon;) Would love it if the rumors of a Freedom class ship were true....sorry, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand:) The facilities were not horrible and the 3-minute (if that) shuttle ride is a non-issue. Doesn't the port make a substantial amount of money from cruise ships?

We love the convenience of leaving from Bayonne! We're not there for the "beauty" of the building, we're there for one of the nicest ships in the fleet! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Hope RCCL sails from there for a looong time. Will agree with one thing, having the Freedom or Liberty sail from there would be wonderful too!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Disaster? You are on the shuttle for less than three minutes, and we've never had a problem with that after sailing out of Bayonne five times. We love the convenience and ease of sailing out of Bayonne, so this is not great news :(

I would bet that some real estate developer is snatching up that property. Just what NJ needs--more cars, more traffic, more people.

teddie

Well considering it takes longer to load and unload the passengers with luggage onto a bus than it takes to walk to the ship -- yes it is a disaster. Probably have to use the buses because of a "union" thing! By the way, totally agree about the convenience for sailing. However, I much prefer Manhattan or Brooklyn as a port. Have even driven to Boston and Baltimore to catch a ship.

teddie

yeah, having sailed on EX 11 times....i'd rather take the bus and be on the ship within an hour after leaving home (more or less) rather than spend a day on a plane...

that said, i think they want to try and work something out....it's bringing money into the area....

people can't walk to the ship because one, it is a little too far and 2, it is an active port and you'd be road kill walking from the terminal. the buses are nice, and certainly not a disaster...though they are a bit of a PITA in snow....

the buses are not a 'union' thing...they are a safety thing....and the buses are rented from Rutgers University..

Well considering it takes longer to load and unload the passengers with luggage onto a bus than it takes to walk to the ship -- yes it is a disaster. Probably have to use the buses because of a "union" thing! By the way, totally agree about the convenience for sailing. However, I much prefer Manhattan or Brooklyn as a port. Have even driven to Boston and Baltimore to catch a ship.
A disaster??? Isn't that a bit extreme?:rolleyes: I see no problem with the shuttle buses.....its super fast and easy. While the port definitely needs sprucing up...who really cares...you're going on a cruise.

I loved sailing from the Bayonne port. Very efficient and convenient - who cares if it isn't so "pretty".

We also love Red Hook. It would make a great alternate port for RCI if it was available.

Archived