Bermuda courts Cruise lines for the America's Cup 2017

FIRELT5

I have not spent a lot of time on this board, so please forgive me if this question has already been answered here before, but ... If Hamilton and St. George want more cruise ship visits, why don't they increase the size of their channels to accommodate today's larger ships?

I have not spent a lot of time on this board, so please forgive me if this question has already been answered here before, but ... If Hamilton and St. George want more cruise ship visits, why don't they increase the size of their channels to accommodate today's larger ships?

Two reasons. One, it could be an environmental disaster. It is not as simple as widening the channels. Two, it would cost a lot of money.

As I understand it there is movement forward towards doing dredging that would allow larger ships into Hamilton Harbor. St. George is more complicated because of the town cut. If they can't widen that then a dock might be built outside of the cut that ships go thru to get into the harbor.

• 1 year later...
Auto correct?:confused::D

Made sense to me [emoji3]

You did a good job explaining to the other person who disappeared about their post even though they didn't seem to get it.

When I was in Bermuda I saw the staging area for the America's Cup from the ships deck. It is at the Dockyard. I think the cup will be good for Bermuda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made sense to me [emoji3]

You did a good job explaining to the other person who disappeared about their post even though they didn't seem to get it.

When I was in Bermuda I saw the staging area for the America's Cup from the ships deck. It is at the Dockyard. I think the cup will be good for Bermuda.

Just thought that person would like to know why their post was deleted. Guess they didn't read the guidelines.

Out of curiosity, did you cruise to Bermuda when small ships were able to dock in Hamilton and St. George? That was the best!

Just thought that person would like to know why their post was deleted. Guess they didn't read the guidelines.

Out of curiosity, did you cruise to Bermuda when small ships were able to dock in Hamilton and St. George? That was the best!

Yes. I did many cruises on Celebrity's Zenith which docked at Hamilton and St. George. I also cruised on the Pacific Princess which docked at Hamilton, St. George and the Dockyard. One cruise was on Azamara Journey which did Hamilton and St. George. And two cruises on HAL's Veendam which docked in Hamilton. I preferred those small ships for Bermuda cruises.

I would still prefer docking at St. George and Hamilton but I have to say that in the last couple of years docking at the Dockyard has become tolerable to me. They have improved and organized the transportation options from the Dockyard.