Motion sickness tips

Gasparilla

We don't suffer to badly with motion sickness, that being said, we take a ginger tablet everyday as a precaution and bring candied ginger along to suck on if we start to feel anything.

For us, the biggest help is staying on deck. There is nothing worse for motion sickness than to be in your cabin.

Here is a link to a NY Times piece on the effect of ginger:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html?_r=0

I've used Sea Bands in the past and think they help some. I forgot to pack them last year for Windstar and never really needed them. We had one slightly rocky evening as we passed from the Med into the Ionian but I had some ginger ale and went to sleep--when I woke in the morning we were back into calm waters.

I normally do not get sea sick but was on the Windspirit during a big storm (we were 8 hrs late to our next port due to the storm). I was in the middle of a kitchen tour and started to feel sort of claustrophobic and dizzy with hot and cold flashes and felt a bit nauseated. I didn't really recognize the symptoms as sea sickness until my husband pointed out that he heard many were feeling seasick due to the rough waters.

They had a large bowl of sea sickness tablets out at the reception desk as well as bowls of saltines and green apples (I didn't know that green apples help sea sickness!). I skipped lunch and retired to my cabin for a nap and a movie with the pills, saltines and apple. Both cabin stewards ( we had changed rooms and somehow kept our old steward and got a new one) checked in on me several times with offers of soup, tea, etc - so nice. About 2-3 hrs later, with a nap and a bit of an old romantic comedy, I was all better - in part due to the lovely treatment of having remedies readily available, a comfy bed and a caring staff.

• 2 weeks later...

This information is purely second hand, as I have never personally suffered motion sickness. My daughter has always had a lot of problems with it, to the point she disliked swings as a child because the motion made her ill.

She said driving in their van in a windy cross breeze was more troubling to her than the big cruise ship last year. She says the pressure bracelets do help as long as they are applied before she feels ill. She does not think sucking ginger candy has ever helped her. She did think having a nightly ginger ale and staying outside as much as possible during the day helped on the ship. She has recommended I take one of those reusable cold packs and keep it in the refrigerator to place on the back of my neck. She said having one that wrapped and fastened around her neck allowed her to sleep comfortably.

I have always had an issue with motion sickness in cars and buses so when I went on my first cruise, I had anticipated that I needed something. I got the acupressure bands and felt fine. After a few hours, I got a little too confident and took them off and within minutes, I was feeling nauseous. So back on they went and they only came off when the boat was docked at a port! Fast forward to two years ago for cruise number 2 and the same experience. Cruise number three is coming up soon and I will absolutely wear them again! I'm not a big medicine fan and would rather go the natural route and for me, this did the trick!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haven't tried the wrist bands, but the natural ginger chews did it for me, and very quickly, on my Sagitta windjammer cruise earlier this year. We had one really rocky sail between islands, and those of us who had tummy issues and used the ginger chews were feeling better very soon.

• 1 year later...
Has anyone tried the acupressure bracelets or other treatments for motion sickness? Thoughts? Just want to be prepared.

Motion sickness will either pass by after a short while or not.

If it doesn’t then your body is telling you that if you feel sick then you need to be sick.

My own remedy is to forget about the bracelets and try this.

Put your fingers down your throat and heave until you spew your guts up.

This should take the sickness away and all thoughts of further vomiting should be left behind for the rest of the voyage (unless really rough seas should occur).

Hope this advice works.

Enjoy your cruise.

Blackjack956

Motion sickness will either pass by after a short while or not.

If it doesn’t then your body is telling you that if you feel sick then you need to be sick.

My own remedy is to forget about the bracelets and try this.

Put your fingers down your throat and heave until you spew your guts up.

This should take the sickness away and all thoughts of further vomiting should be left behind for the rest of the voyage (unless really rough seas should occur).

Hope this advice works.

Enjoy your cruise.

Blackjack956

Nope.

Motion sickness is caused by the crystals in your inner ear and your eyesight not coordinating with each other. Vomiting will not relieve motion sickness. In some cases an empty stomach make make it worse as it will cause a build up of stomach acids.

Nope.

Motion sickness is caused by the crystals in your inner ear and your eyesight not coordinating with each other. Vomiting will not relieve motion sickness. In some cases an empty stomach make make it worse as it will cause a build up of stomach acids.

Thanks for clarifying that information regarding motion sickness. I was fearful that during rough weather we would be seeing people sticking their fingers down their throats trying to throw up. :rolleyes:

I learned that everyone is different.

First - stop drinking alcohol & most liquids. Eat some bread crackers etc, perhaps a cup of broth

Stay outside as much as possible - find a chair or lounge midships - if not outside then inside.

Don't watch the waves for long periods of time - look at the horizon.

And if you do feel the slightest bit quesy - take medicine of your choice......

I've been in storms so bad the ship was shut down for 24 hours & most of it destroyed and did not get sick - on one sailing it was a gentle constant roll that had me w/ my head over the rail.....

Good luck!

I take Bonine. Over the Counter, no side effects, does not interfere with any other meds you may be taking, does not make you drowsy.

I take one after boarding the ship, and if I think there will be rough seas, I take one every night prior to bedtime.