Verona - Pre-cruise

sgcc2866

Hi,

We are arriving in Venice, 2 days prior to our sailing and have seen much of Venice already. We also are doing a b2b so will porting there for 1 day as well.

Has anyone coordinated a day in Verona from Venice on your own, using the train. If so, could you please share any tips or suggestions on how to plan for 1 day?

Very much appreciated!

It's a very easy trip on the train-from the train station it's around a one mile walk to Piazza Bra. At the Piazza is Verona's arena, and its just a short distance to Castlevecchio or Juliet's balcony. A lot of this area around the Piazza is now a car free zone.

You don't say when you're going to be there but if its summer a wonderful way to spend an evening is in the open air opera in the coliseum/arena. Alas, they don't allow real elephants anymore for Aida, but its still a fantastic show - and I'm not even into opera!

Thank you! We are going in October 2013. My husband is a bit hesitant to rent a car for the day and would rather take the train, but we're having trouble locating possible ticket prices. I understand that they don't usually post until 2 months before, but seem to be reading prices from 7.50 - 25.00 E. Seems odd, but maybe different classes and speed of trains?

Has anyone does this? My daughter is now joining us and as been to Verona, so up in the air as to whether we go to Verona, or possibly Padova etc.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for other alternatives to consider? Doesn't seem to be a lot of private tour companies" offering day trips to surrounding areas of Venice. Anyone of aware of companies?

Thanks

The train is simple. The express takes a little over an hour. Verona is great. So lively, especially in the evening. One of my favorite places in Italy. Stay in the "old town" area. We stayed at a fantastic place called the Sogno di Giulietta.

It it is located inside the gated area of Juliet's courtyard. One of the coolest little places I've stayed and a one of a kind experience. It's in a perfect location, right at the end of the main walking street that connects to the Piazza Bra. Picture staying inside any of Europe's tourist attractions and having it to yourself after the crowds leave. That is this place.

There are only around 10 rooms (I think). No restaurant. Just a tiny little entrance, with a wonderful staff. At night, they kick out the tourists, close the gates, and you have the courtyard to yourself and the couple other guests staying there. When you come back at night, you ring the bell and the open the gates. Others looking on, are basically looking at you like a celebrity.

One couple set up a candlelight dinner in the courtyard. It's one of those memorable places that you will stay. The rooms are great and all decorated different. The next morning, they bring you a wonderful room service breakfast from the cafe across the street. Can't say enough about our experience there.

the difference in train fares is whether it's a local train or fancier high speed train (with a/c, assigned seats, etc.). No worries either way--just walk up to the ticket agent and buy your ticket 30 minutes or so before you want to go--there are many trains each day--don't even bother to pre-book tickets. It's VERY easy on the train--I would just take the cheaper local (think of a seat on a local downtown bus vs. an airline type seat on the more expensive train), as it is such a short trip. Be sure to validate ticket, if you get a local train ticket. The more expensive ticket will be for a specific train/seat, and no need to validate. Have fun, we passed through Verona on our Venice-Milan train and it is on our list. My sister was there last year and loved it. Elaine

Archived