Roatan Zip lining

chaka khan

Hey...We're cruising on the Norwegian Sun next month and we really want to do the zip lining thing in Roatan, but don't really want to hang out on the beach. They offer the Tabyana Beach Party/Canopy Tour Combo for like $92 per person. We just want to Zip line. Is this possible? I've heard that NCL buys up all of the bookings, so you can't go independently. Is this true? If this isn't the case, does anyone have any names of Tour operators that are trustworthy?

Thanks a ton for any help!!!!

I would suggest an independant becausefor the Gumbalimba zip-line you have to book aboard the ship. We did South Shore Zip-line which are very reputable thru shoretrips.com or you can go on your own from the pier for $45 bucks a person.

Check out Victor Bodden for private tours in Roatan. They offer complete flexibility to include the components you prefer - and the zip line is one of them.

http://www.boddentours.com/tours.htm

I second the Victor Bodden experience!! We just returned a couple of weeks ago and had a great time on Roatan despite the not so fun weather. We had a group of 10 and Lionel was our Victor Bodden guide and did a GREAT job! We headed to the zipline first to beat the other cruise people and were the first in line (per Lionel's recommendation). We did the Jungle canopy (i think it was called - it's on Victor's website). It seemed to be the best for the price from my research. It was $45 per person. Then Lionel took us to see some monkeys - then to West Bay Beach to hang out for the rest of the day.

Nice thing about Victor Bodden is that anything you want to do, they will take you to do. They have no vested interest in making $$ off of the attractions so they will do what is best for you. You just pay them to haul you around for the day. The larger the group the better.

We were in Rotan Oct 07. My husband booked Victor Bodden tour for zip lining Hano was our tour guide and we booked this from victors website. Hano was our personal guide for the day he took us to all the hot spots and he was great. I was neverous about this at first but I can say it was a very memorable experience! My 8 year old didn't care to much for the zip line but once you start your are committed no turning back! She did enjoy the rest of the day when he took us to a Iguana farm, also she got to hold baby monkeys and Hano top it off at a little bar oceanfront for a drink. Cant praise Hano enough. Victor Bodden Tours is just as you get off the ship and walk over to the Island you will see his sign. They are very helpful. I recommend this to anyone interested in a personal tour of the Island even if you don't zip line. Hano will take you over the island for other sight seeing.

• 2 weeks later...
I second the Victor Bodden experience!! . We did the Jungle canopy (i think it was called - it's on Victor's website). It seemed to be the best for the price from my research. It was $45 per person.

Was the $45 the total pp for the day or just for the zip line?

How high up in the trees are you actually on the zip lines? I have a fear of heights. Part of my group wants to do the zip lines. I would perfer to remain on the ground. Can we explore the ground level while they are doing the zip lines?

How high up in the trees are you actually on the zip lines? I have a fear of heights. Part of my group wants to do the zip lines. I would perfer to remain on the ground. Can we explore the ground level while they are doing the zip lines?

The Pirate extreme Zip Lines states that it is 328 ft above the Jungle below:eek:, not sure on the Reg. zip line. You start and end at different places but you might be able to stay with the driver after you drop off your group and then pick them up when they are done. If you are unsure about trying it, DONT even start because from what I have read you cant stop 1/2 way, you have to do the whole thing to get to where the driver picks you up.

I would like to comment that we chose shoretrips.com for an excursion also in Belize to see the diference between South SHore in Roatan. The big diference is the view from Roatan and the jungle is very lush and green. In Belize it was very low lying feel and not great views.

We were in Rotan Oct 07. My husband booked Victor Bodden tour for zip lining Hano was our tour guide and we booked this from victors website. Hano was our personal guide for the day he took us to all the hot spots and he was great. I was neverous about this at first but I can say it was a very memorable experience! My 8 year old didn't care to much for the zip line but once you start your are committed no turning back! She did enjoy the rest of the day when he took us to a Iguana farm, also she got to hold baby monkeys and Hano top it off at a little bar oceanfront for a drink. Cant praise Hano enough. Victor Bodden Tours is just as you get off the ship and walk over to the Island you will see his sign. They are very helpful. I recommend this to anyone interested in a personal tour of the Island even if you don't zip line. Hano will take you over the island for other sight seeing.

Good to hear an 8yr old got to do the zip line, I have an 9yr old boy who would love to do this and has a small one of his own off his treehouse. On the Carnival site that gives tour details I thought they had to be at least 10 years old.

For those of you that have zip lined- we zip lined in Belize and found it to be very fun but not very high off the ground. Has anyone ever done the extreme zip lining compared to the regular zip lining both in Roatan? I'm trying to decide if we need to go with the extreme zip lining in Roatan or the regular one. I have read that the views from the regular zip lining in Roatan were spectacular- I know doing it in Belize- there was not really a view of anything......any info is greatly appreciated.

hey,

i'm very afraid of heights too. i don't even like to climb ladders! But for some reason I love to zipline. The first time we did it I was deathly afraid, but the whole family was going, so i bit the bullet and went. i had this idea in my head of having to jump off of a platform, but all you really do is lean back and pick up your feet and you're off. you are in a safety harness and have 2 hooks. you are always hooked to a cable at all times, so there's no way to fall. when they transfer you from one line to another via the platforms, they undo one hook, hook it, then move the other. i'll bet you'd like it if you try it. it happens so fast and you are looking at all the beautiful sites that you don't really have time to be afraid.

hope you have fun whatever you decide!

cws

I need to know the same thing. We have two 20 something year old ex-football players and these guys are big - don't know the exact wieghts, but I'm certain it's well over 200 lbs. Also, does anyone know if it would be "ok" for an older person? My dad is 75, in great shape, and wants to do it, but I feel responsible for his safety? Anyone whose gone before have an older person with them???

We just got back (jan 27th) and did a zip-line tour with Victor Bodden (Jan23) After our guide took us to the Canapy Tour zip-lines, we found out that they were the most "intense" and strenuous to complete. Apparently the Pirate Zip lines are easier, mainly cuz they are only zip lines and there are no cable or floating bridges to cross or walls to climb. Also the Pirate extreme zip lines allow you to wear leather gloves, which can be used as a braking system, the Canapy Tours do not. Just make sure you wear good sturdy soled shoes. I wore water shoes and found them to be not good when walking on the cables. My feet really hurt (like being cut from the bottom) and I could not turn back. Also when you book with Victor, make sure you tell him which zip lines you want, as he automatically choses the canopy zip lines. Completion depends on how many people are ahead of you, but definately 1 hour. I also do not think that body weight was an isssue.

We just got back (jan 27th) and did a zip-line tour with Victor Bodden (Jan23) After our guide took us to the Canapy Tour zip-lines' date=' we found out that they were the most "intense" and strenuous to complete. Apparently the Pirate Zip lines are easier, mainly cuz they are only zip lines and there are no cable or floating bridges to cross or walls to climb. Also the Pirate extreme zip lines allow you to wear leather gloves, which can be used as a braking system, the Canapy Tours do not. Just make sure you wear good sturdy soled shoes. I wore water shoes and found them to be not good when walking on the cables. My feet really hurt (like being cut from the bottom) and I could not turn back. Also when you book with Victor, make sure you tell him which zip lines you want, as he automatically choses the canopy zip lines. Completion depends on how many people are ahead of you, but definately 1 hour. I also do not think that body weight was an isssue.[/quote']

So, you went to the Jungle Canopy Zipline? Our first time at Jungle Canopy (July 2007), we bypassed the bridges by using the alternate ziplines. I believe that you are speaking of South Shore as being easier --the zipline that you have to control your speed using gloves? There are just entirely too many Ziplines in Roatan!! However, South Shore does have bridges, Pirates Extreme does not (and the regular zipline at Pirates does have bridges... Confused?

I think that someone needs to post a chart on their website with all of the information! The closest that I've found is here, but it only compares South Shore, The Jungle Canopy at Palmetto and The "regular" zipline at Pirates: http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/roatan_canopy_tours.html (of course, it doesn't show the details for the Extreme Zipline at Pirates!)

At the Pirates Extreme Zipline (and the Jungle Canopy at Palmetto)you definitely do not wear gloves (was just there in November). There are some photos of each of these two ziplines on their respective websites:

Pirates Canopy Tour: http://roatancanopy-pirates-of-the-caribbean.com

South Shore Canopy: www. south shore canopy. com (no spaces)

Jungle Canopy at Palmetto: ?? Anybody??

Victor's site offers a box on the original form submission where you put which zipline you are interested in. He's taken me and my family to Jungle Canopy twice, and the Pirates Extreme once. So I am familiar with both of these -- and will be happy to answer any questions.

So, you went to the Jungle Canopy Zipline? Our first time at Jungle Canopy (July 2007), we bypassed the bridges by using the alternate ziplines. I believe that you are speaking of South Shore as being easier --the zipline that you have to control your speed using gloves? There are just entirely too many Ziplines in Roatan!! However, South Shore does have bridges, Pirates Extreme does not (and the regular zipline at Pirates does have bridges... Confused?

I think that someone needs to post a chart on their website with all of the information! The closest that I've found is here, but it only compares South Shore, The Jungle Canopy at Palmetto and The "regular" zipline at Pirates: http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/roatan_canopy_tours.html (of course, it doesn't show the details for the Extreme Zipline at Pirates!)

At the Pirates Extreme Zipline (and the Jungle Canopy at Palmetto)you definitely do not wear gloves (was just there in November). There are some photos of each of these two ziplines on their respective websites:

Pirates Canopy Tour: http://roatancanopy-pirates-of-the-caribbean.com

South Shore Canopy: www. south shore canopy. com (no spaces)

Jungle Canopy at Palmetto: ?? Anybody??

Victor's site offers a box on the original form submission where you put which zipline you are interested in. He's taken me and my family to Jungle Canopy twice, and the Pirates Extreme once. So I am familiar with both of these -- and will be happy to answer any questions.

Which one was the $45 zipline?

Definitely cant speak highly enough of the South Shore Ziplines. My brother and I (21 and 22 at the time), did it and absolutely loved it. We saw the video on the ship of the zipline excursion they offered, and it looked kinda wimpy and short compared to the one we did. There were long zip line, and the guides would teach you different ways to go if u wanted (my brother did a superman one, and also upside down with the guide at the same time). We had 2 guides, 1 in front, and 1 behind, and the one in front offers to take your camera and take pictures of you coming down. We absolutely loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you are looking to explore the East of Roatan, the Jungle Canopy / Palmetto Canopy or Pirates of the Caribbean is the best option, while the South Shore Canopy is the best canopy tour to visit if you plan on visiting West End of West Bay Beach.

Is Victor's house on the East side or the west side?? I guess that will determine what zipline we go on because we want to stop at his house and hang with the monkeys.

Archived