Deep sea fishing suggestions needed

marter99

We'll be stopping in Roatan in June on the Valor. My husband & son are interested in doing a deep sea fishing charter. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about who would be good to use. They had a wonderful time in Cozumel on our last cruise, and are hoping to top that experience, not sure it's possible though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I've used Bodden Tours and we caught Barracuda and Tuna on our trip. In fact, my eye is in the corner of the fishing picture on Victor's homepage -- guess the barracuda was better looking than me :eek: ! The boat's driver, Enry, is shown holding the fish.

It sure was fun!

Thanks for that info. I've heard lots about Bodden tours, never really thought about them for fishing though. Btw, nice pic of you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even though it was not really fishing season in February, I requested Enry for a fishing trip with Victor Bodden. Victor was sick that day, and Enry had to take over Victor's duties, so Tex was our driver for the day. Tex drove us to the marina at the west end of the island where Tex's cousin, Raoul, took us out in a fishing boat. My DH loves to fly-fish so we went 2 different spots to fish. DH got to cast once on permit, 4-5 times on parrotfish, a couple of times on some other fish. We got a late start because the ship did not announce when we could get off the boat that day, and our room was aft, and we had no idea that we could get off. The tide was going out most of the time, so our 3 hours of fishing were not optimal.

But, my DH really enjoyed spending time walking around the flats with Raoul and doing the fly-fish talk! And, as my DH says, "that's why they call it fishing and not catching!" Raoul provided Orvis equipment so if you prefer other brands you might want to take your own. According to my DH, Raoul was a very knowledgeable fly-fisherman, and he was extremely nice.

Also, the sea floor drops very quickly around the island, so it would be possible to do both fly-fishing and bottom fishing in one trip, providing both types of rods/reels were available.

I liked being able to book fishing by the hour instead of having to book a half or full day excursion. Fishing only for 3 hours allowed us to then do the South Shore Zip Line before going back to the ship.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the Carnival Valor. I booked a fishing trip my husband and his friend. We arranged the trip thru Victor Bodden. Victor arranged it with "Captain O" (Orville Miller). The guys had a blast and said Miller was terrific. it was just the 2 of them so they had the boat to themselves! They visited the Cannibal Cafe and thought it was great.

So, if you are looking to do some fishing - check out Bodden & Capt O!

Enjoy!

Archived