Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Handicapped(Limited Mobility) on a River Cruise

I am my wife have been talking about taking a European River cruise for the last couple of years but due to our work schedules were unable to travel. Now that we are in a better situation as started to seriously consider taking a River Cruise.
My wife though had a past medical condition that makes it hard for her to walk long distances without stopping and resting. We have been very diligent in reading all the postings in this forum and other forums related to river cruise travels and got the impression that European River Cruising might not be the best choice for a vacation for someone handicapped with limited or restricted mobility especially when it comes to enjoying the excursions that are offered over the course of the cruise.
Some of our concern came from reading about the limitations of using a wheelchair over the cobbled streets, handicapped accessibility to various attractions etc.
One reason for wanting to take a River Cruise is just to watch the scenery as we cruise the great rivers of Europe but we would not want to spend all our time on the boat and not get out and experiencing the country side away from the boat.
Would like to hear from anyone who has taken a European River cruise with someone who was handicapped or had fellow travelers on the cruise that were handicapped. Did they seem to enjoy the cruise? Was there any special accommodations provided by the cruise provider to assist the handicap in enjoying their cruise?
We would also like to find out if wheel chairs are available for rental once youarrive in Europe. We have a fold up wheelchair we have used in the past, but due to the small wheel sizes would be very limited trying to push over the cobbled streets.
The itineraries we are considering are: Amsterdam – Budapest, Basel – Vienna, Basel – Amsterdam (or in reverse).

Carnival Glory - 12/2007
Carnival Fascination -05/2012, 12/2012, 02/2014
Celebrity Constellation - 03/2006
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 03/2008
RCCL - Freedom of the Seas - August 2012
Holland America - Zuiderdam March 2013

Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
5,000+ Club

I began a thread "Which River Boat Cruise for Disabled" which you can find down the list. I got some good information which will be a part of any decision we will make for summer 2009.

Meanwhile here is the web site for mobility equipment rentals: http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/ We have rented scooters for use on larger cruise ships and had good experiences. I don't know if they deliver to any of the river boats or not as this is all new to me.

It really isn't difficult to push a wheelchair over cobblestones once you get the hang of it. I'm 67, short and out of shape and managed pretty well pushing my 85 year old husband who weighed about 170 at the time. The larger wheels helped a lot!

We also weighed the pros and cons of not going at all vs. restricting some of our activities but still seeing as much as we could of Rome and the Eastern Mediterranean last fall. I would do it again in a heart beat as is evident by my posting on this section of CC.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just returned from a Viking cruise on the Rhine. I didn't see anyone using a wheelchair, but one lady did have a walker. The walking on the tours was quite strenous in some ports. She did what she could and several times used a taxi which I assume was arranged by Viking. From my observation, I would say you could enjoy the scenery and some of the tours, but there would be some portions too challenging. You would also need to be able to get on and off the bus which didn't have a lift. Good luck.
Pink

Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Go for it!

I've posted numerous times about my experiences with my husband in a wheelchair on two river cruises in Europe. Not only can it be done, it's not all that difficult.
And it certainly beats staying at home. Yes, there are cobblestones, and some places are not handicapped accessible. But the majority can be managed. I would recommend a regular wheelchair over the collapsible or "companion chair" types, mainly because of the cobblestones. We used the companion chair on the first cruise, and a regular chair on the second. We were able to negotiate some pretty steep places, and, in a couple of instances, out-did some of the able bodied passengers.
My husband enjoyed both trips so much, it made any extra effort on my part more than worth it. Be sure that the ship you choose has an elevator if your cabin is anywhere but the main floor, and also check as to whether or not there are steps between the lounge area and the dining room. We loved our balcony cabins, as we could sit outside and watch the world go by. We did almost all of the land tours, we were limited in one of the castles, where there were a lot of stairs. But we handled all the chair on all of the walking tours, and I can't remember a single one of the churches/ etc. that we were not able to negotiate. I think someone with a walker would have more difficulty than someone in a wheelchair.
I would say, go for it!
Be glad to answer any other questions regarding disabled travels and river cruising.
Karen Hahn

Old June 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did Amsterdam to Vienna.

Things to ask about prior to booking:
Is there an elevator which goes to ALL the floors?
Will they be able to get you a taxi? How much? (some are expensive)
Ask for an itinerary and check the websites of those to see accomodations. Also ask on here.
Check out the pictures, deck plans, etc of ships you are interested in and ask specifically about them. Also ask on here.
Ask about buses and are they wheelchair friendly or do they have a step which will come down (in one place they did but didn't lower it until most of the people were on and then the cruise director asked him to lower it-what a difference that made!)

We had one lady on our trip who had one of those walkers that you can also use as a chair and it was a godsend for her. Most places we visited had elevators and those few that did not, she waited outside or nearby (the view was always so pleasant that this was never an issue). Of the entire trip, I can only remember two places that she could not go to but we all broke off occasionally and did our own thing, it was great. Also the walking tours have levels: fast, medium and slow. On the slow, they take lots of breaks.

There were a few times I did think that it would have been nice to have some place to sit and it wasn't available but one couple brought those fold up umbrella looking things and popped them open to sit down. But each place will have some type of cafe, etc so if you get pooped just have a seat and ask where you can meet back up with them. The cruise directors will be your best resources. They have been to the towns and are so helpful.

Have fun, don't let it stop you. These places are just too beautiful to be missed. Vienna was my favorite. Such a beautiful city, my head felt like it was on a swivel, there was so much to see. Horse drawn carriage ride was wonderful.

Old June 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, all good advice based on practical experience. I would add one comment related to the original query- Europe is not a place. Its lots of different countries and generic information that accurately applies to all of them is not available. Each destination needs to be checked out individually.
Good luck though and cynic that I am I sometimes feel "seen one old church seen em all!" Relax and enjoy the experience as a whole rather than a desperate destination box ticking exercise! Bon voyage

Old June 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tranporting wheel chairs on tour bus

Thanks for everyones replies to my origional message. Having read them I was encouraged about taking a River Cruise but just recently I started studing more closely the literature provided by various River Cruise providers and became somewhat bothered when I read the following from a provider I was seriously considering. I hightlighted the statement that my wife is really concerned about. My wife does not need the use of a wheelchair on board the ship as she is mobile enough to walk short distances and walks up stairs. She wanted to be able to take a wheelchair when we are off the boat on excursions or on our own as has stamina problems walking long distances. I hope there are providers who are more handicapped friendly. Your Thoughts??

D
ISABLED PARTICIPANTS:
Any disability requiring special attention must be reported to Amadeus
Waterways at the time of booking. Amadeus Waterways will make reasonable efforts to accommodate the special needs of disabled cruise participants, but is not responsible for anydenial of services by carriers, hotels, restaurants, or other independent suppliers. Tour busses
are not equipped with wheelchair ramps and cabin doors are not wide enough to allow access by standard wheelchairs. Wheelchairs and walkers cannot be carried on tour busses, due to space limitations. Wheelchair passengers should be aware of these limitations. For safety reasons, passengers in wheelchairs cannot be carried on ramps in ports where the ship is at anchor. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance to a tour member for walking, getting on/off tour busses and other transportation vehicles, or other personal needs. A

qualified travel companion must accompany travelers who need assistance.
Carnival Glory - 12/2007
Carnival Fascination -05/2012, 12/2012, 02/2014
Celebrity Constellation - 03/2006
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 03/2008
RCCL - Freedom of the Seas - August 2012
Holland America - Zuiderdam March 2013

Old June 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wheelchairs on tour busses

Here's my experiences of three and four years ago with Grand Circle Travel on the Great Rivers of Europe and the Rhine and Mosel itineraries. We took busses a number of times, and the wheelchair folded up and was stored in the compartment under the bus. One does have to be able to get into the bus. The first year, my husband was able to do this without too much difficulty, the second time it was much more difficult, but with a boost, he was able to do so.
I've never experienced any times the wheelchair couldn't be taken on the bus. We used both a regular wheelchair (two big wheels) and a companion chair (four small wheels).