What do you do in Falmouth?

packyourpixiedust

What do you guys do in Falmouth? DH and I are traveling with our 21 month old, and my mother. We aren't against staying on the ship, but are wondering what to do if we do stay on the ship? Grandma can stay with the baby onboard and DH and I can do something... Or we take the kid and do something. This is one of the few cruise ports that I have never been to. What do you guys do? Thanks. :)

We were in Falmouth last year at this time. We shopped around inside the compound and then walked over to the new Margaritaville also inside the compound. It was a really nice afternoon sipping a few margaritas and eating a cheeseburger in paradise. There was a nice breeze, we had a table under a palm tree and they were playing our favourite Jimmy Buffet songs. Life is good. They were just getting ready to open up the new pool, we missed it by only a couple of weeks. It has a swim up bar and looked really nice. They were also playing some sort of a scavenger hunt (think Quest aboard the ship) and people were asked to participate and they were having a blast. We just sat and watched. It was a lot of fun.

We regretted we went into town. THE most aggressive vendors ever. One lady followed us around for over an hour. We liked Dunns River Falls, but if we ever go there again, will avoid the shopping areas, especially the crafts area, which is really bad.

How far are the tourist resort areas from The port? Like Negril and Ochos Rios?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Negril is way to far to go from Falmouth if you are in on a ship. It's about a 2 hr ride each way. Ocho Rios is about 40 minutes or so, maybe a little bit more. Your closest touristy town is Montego Bay which is only about 20-30 minutes from Falmouth. It's also got a nice area with a beach along the "Hip Strip" dining and shopping street. You could easily do Doctor's Cave beach then walk down the hip strip to Margaritaville or the Port Pit for Jerk.

Ocho Rios is a fun area if you have some sort of tour booked (Mystic mountain bobsled, Dunn's, Blue hole, river tubing) but the town itself is not really that great to wander around, especially with a little one. There is some shopping, and it can be fun, but it can also be a little overwhelming.

BLUE HOLE!! But your baby will have to stay on ship with Grandma...also Dunn's River. Both I would recommend getting a private driver and not going on cruise ship tour.....(don't think they even have blue hole tour). It was amazing! We went in June!!!

The port of Falmouth has lots to see if your mom wants to take your child down to shop and watch dancing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Your child is also too young to enjoy walking around Falmouth with Jamaican Culinary Tours. That said, the town vendors mainly left us alone, because we were on a local walking tour (except the guys right by the gates trying to convince us that they had a better tour than the one we'd paid for already - we just laughed). If your family wanted to cruise the craft market inside the port area, however, you might find something bright and cheerful that would make a good wall ornament in a baby's room.

I'm able to get a day pass at Beaches in Ochos Rios, any idea how much it would cost me to get there by cab? I would be traveling with my husband and 21 month old son.

I don't know how much by cab, but it's a pretty good ride from the port. It's actually in Boscobel, which is east of Ocho Rios about 20 minutes or so. I'd say it's going to be about a half hour cab ride each way, maybe a bit more depending on traffic.

Just a half hour?

Oh WAIT, you are coming from Falmouth.....no then more like an hour and 20 minutes. Sorry, thought you were docking in OR. From Falmouth, that's a pretty good long ride. It's a cool resort though. GREAT waterpark for the littles. Small beach. You need to take an elevator to the beach because it's built on a hill.

We're going to be there in a couple of weeks and have signed up for a culinary tour.

You will be so happy you did this tour.... it was really awesome and felt safe with our guides Sonya and steve..... definitely no need to eat lunch before you go.... any questions, feel free to ask me.

While in Jamaica, we booked a shore excursion through the Celebrity Silhouette called The Best of Jamaica. It featured a trip to climb Dunn’s River Falls, a shopping trip into Ocho Rios, an authentic Jamaican lunch of jerk chicken and pork, time at Shaw beach and a boat cruise. It was a great way to see Jamaica for the first time.

I was thinking I may just stay in port and take my son swimming in the pool at Margaritaville. Has anyone done that? I read some reviews on trip advisor and it seems like it might be okay.

There is a Margaritaville in Ochos Rios however have not seen one in Falmouth.

The beach in Ochos Rios is small at but if you turn left when you get off the pier there is another beach which costs $3.00 a person to enter. It is a five minute walk and a very big beach.

There is a Margaritaville in Ochos Rios however have not seen one in Falmouth.

The beach in Ochos Rios is small at but if you turn left when you get off the pier there is another beach which costs $3.00 a person to enter. It is a five minute walk and a very big beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g612473-d4139395-Reviews-Jimmy_Buffett_s_Margaritaville-Falmouth_