Paris after Cruise

Pather

Hi again. Just found out that to disembark at Le Havre, you have to leave the ship in the morning. I had hoped to take the Normandy excursion and disembark after that but not allowed. Want to spend a day at Normandy. Could we check our bags at a hotel in Le Havre and find a trip to Normandy for the day, staying back in Le Havre that night? Or should we head to Paris and take a trip to Normandy from there the next day?

Thanks!

I would get off at LeHavre in the morning and rent a car. If you use Europecar they request that late night drop offs be at a local hotel which I can't remember the name of. I would drive to Bayeaux, Cann and the beaches and spend the day there and drive back in the evening. It would be convienant to stay at the hotel of the drop off. Driving to Normandy is easier than most major cities in North America. The french drive on the same side of the road as us, so no issues there. Just rent or bring a GPS. I've driven twice in Normandy without issue. Just watch for the traffic cameras.;)

It's better than taking the train and arriving at Gard Du Nord late in the evening.

Thanks Bob++. Trying to find an automatic rental car. Would like to return to La Havre about 8 PM but rental agencies close at 6pm. Haven't found one that allows you to return later. Would be a short day if had to be back to Le Havre by 6. To save time, wondering about returning car to Caen and then taking a train from Caen about 7/8pm to Paris. Another option would be to overnight in Le Havre, keep the car until the next morning and return it before going to Paris. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

By the way lamchops, your note gave us the confidence to rent a car. Thanks. One thing, you mentioned Gare Du Nord. Don't the Normandy trains go into Gare St.- Lazare? Thanks.

Yes it's Gare St. Lazare, we took the Eurostar to Gare du Nord.

We rented from Europcar on a Sunday in which they opened for just an hour to process cruisers. We all had to drop off the car at a hotel nearby and give the front desk clerk the key. I assume they would allow you to do the same.

Personally, I would stay overnight in LeHavre and take the first train to Paris in the morning. You'll be tired and emotionally drained after spending the day in Normandy. Have a late "patio" dinner in Honfleur before sleeping in LeHavre. The hotel will probably be a lot cheaper too.

Thanks Bob++. Trying to find an automatic rental car. Would like to return to La Havre about 8 PM but rental agencies close at 6pm. Haven't found one that allows you to return later. Would be a short day if had to be back to Le Havre by 6. To save time, wondering about returning car to Caen and then taking a train from Caen about 7/8pm to Paris. Another option would be to overnight in Le Havre, keep the car until the next morning and return it before going to Paris. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Have you thought about drop off at airport in Paris, rental car places open later and you would save time and price of train ticket. there are lots of good hotels near airport and most very reasonable.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone. Just back from our trip. We disembarked at Le Havre (found out that it's pronounced like Brett Favre) and hired a driver... Philip from Label-West. Spent a rainy day in Normandy and then he dropped us at Caen for the train to Paris. Philip was great. He even walked us right into the station at Caen to be sure that we found our train. Taxi from Gare St. Lazarre to hotel about 8 pm. All went smoothly. Only bummer was that we did not see any sun whatsoever from disembarkment on Tuesday through flying out Sunday morning. Still a great trip. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Hi again. Just found out that to disembark at Le Havre, you have to leave the ship in the morning. I had hoped to take the Normandy excursion and disembark after that but not allowed. Want to spend a day at Normandy. Could we check our bags at a hotel in Le Havre and find a trip to Normandy for the day, staying back in Le Havre that night? Or should we head to Paris and take a trip to Normandy from there the next day?

Thanks!

We are on the Caribbean Princess this August. We are disembarking in Le Havre with our bags in the morning, taking a tour to Normandy with Overlord Tours that takes us back to Le Havre around 6 PM. They will be holding our luggage on the coach all day. We then will take a train in early evening from Le Havre to Paris. At least that is our plan...hope it all works out well!