Just back from Dream...questions?

lakelodge

Doing a family Christmas cruise this year on December 20. Six family members (so far; trying to convince more to join us) and 2 adjoining cove balcony rooms. Our first time sailing on Carnival cruise during a major holiday. Did you find the cruise crowded? What was your itinerary? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences. :)

Our cruise director's name was Hennie...can't remember his last name...he was very friendly and funny! We were on the Western Caribbean: Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Sorry but I didn't save any of the Fun Times, I will say there were plenty of entertainment options day and night. Camp Carnival gives you a schedule of children's activities at the Welcome Aboard show they do in the late afternoon on the first day, in the theatre (mainly for parents' info). There were activities from about 9 am to 3 pm, then closed for awhile, and then every night they have lots of fun stuff from 7 pm to 10. After 10 they have parties for kids, but with an extra charge (13.00 to 20.00 for two or three hours). They also have a kids' dinner with the counselors on formal nights, up in the lido, so the parents can have a more elegant dinner in the dining room. We used that the night we went to the Chef's Table steakhouse, and she loved it.

Yes, it WAS crowded, quite a bit more than any other cruise we have been on before. At times the lido buffet was a madhouse, long line to get into the sea day brunch, the pool area, etc. There were 1300+ kids under 18 on the Christmas sailing! I would recommend this ship for people with kids, but if you want a relaxing time on a cruise ship, I'd look at another line!

In Montego Bay, we got a taxi driver and he took us on a two hour ride around, pointing out a lot of sights (the kids got an eye-opener as we went thru the poorest areas), he took us to the straw market (wanted the kids to experience the high pressure sales tactics and bargaining for themselves!), then he dropped us off at Doctor's Cave beach. We swam and played in the sand for a couple of hours and then he brought us back to the ship. This was $100.00 for the four of us...don't know if it was a good deal or not, but it was convenient and we felt well taken care of.

Didn't get off the ship in GC, as we were there on Christmas day, and a lot of the attractions and most of the shops/restaurants were closed. We've been there a few times before and have seen the sights like 7 mile beach, the Turtle Farm, Hell, rum cake factory, etc. The only major attraction we have not done there is Stingray City. Maybe next time!

In Cozumel we were docked at Puerta Maya, and walked right off the ship to a nice, clean shopping area. We went to Dolphinarius and we all swam with the dolphins. Fun, but really expensive. I guess it was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. The tour, thru Carnival, included all drinks and lunch. The lunch was mediocre at best, but they had a wonderful full bar and I had to dilute my Long Island tea down with some coke, it was so strong. After we got back we stopped at the Three Amigos cantina, which is right next to the pier, and it was SO much fun! Free Wi-Fi, too.

Have fun! Hope this helps!

In Cozumel we were docked at Puerta Maya, and walked right off the ship to a nice, clean shopping area. We went to Dolphinarius and we all swam with the dolphins. Fun, but really expensive. I guess it was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. The tour, thru Carnival, included all drinks and lunch. The lunch was mediocre at best, but they had a wonderful full bar and I had to dilute my Long Island tea down with some coke, it was so strong. After we got back we stopped at the Three Amigos cantina, which is right next to the pier, and it was SO much fun! Free Wi-Fi, too.

We are very much considering the Dolphinarius excursion as well. Did you have much time to enjoy the beach there after you did the Dolphin swim? We would like to take advantage of the activities they have available and make a day of it there if possible.

Did you purchase the pictures that they offer (at Dolphinarius)? Any idea on the pricing of that?

Thanks!

Hi! Do you have any photos of the water area for kids? Particurly any input on the toddler size slides/splash areas? Thanks!

I was on the dream last year and the kids water area is great. They have 2 little slides perfect for toddlers or young kids. My girls loved it! I will try to post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby and I took a cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans in October. The New Orleans port at that time was a hot mess. Mass confusion, agents not knowing how to direct people in and out of terminal it was terrible. How was it when you went on your cruise? I'm asking because I'm about ready to book another cruise out of New Orleans at the end of October (different itinerary), and I was wondering if the confusion had settled down a little.

I just cruised out of NOLA on the dream on the 28th and embarkation was not bad. We got there right before 11:30 and were on the boat before 12:30. I didn't find it overwhelming or mass chaos. Maybe we just got there early and lucked out.

My hubby and I took a cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans in October. The New Orleans port at that time was a hot mess. Mass confusion, agents not knowing how to direct people in and out of terminal it was terrible. How was it when you went on your cruise? I'm asking because I'm about ready to book another cruise out of New Orleans at the end of October (different itinerary), and I was wondering if the confusion had settled down a little.

Interesting. I find New Orleans an VERY easy port.

Out of the 10 or so times I've sailed out of New Orleans we've only had problems once and it was only inside the terminal. There were people everywhere and only 1 employee trying to direct the masses. It does happen but it's usually very easy. We always try to get there early, about 10:30am.

How difficult was it to find a lounger? I am ok with being on the Aft or lanai as the main deck area is too loud and busy. Just worried about chair hogs. I hate to participate in that practice too but afraid if I don't we will never find a chair.. BTW, We are sailing March 8, 2015, which will be a busy week with all the families on Spring Break.

I was on the dream last year and the kids water area is great. They have 2 little slides perfect for toddlers or young kids. My girls loved it! I will try to post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the area for potty trained only? I know the pools are, but wasn't sure about this.