What do you want to know about Explorer?

As Orpington-- rest his soul-- used to tease me about, I am practically a nut-case when it comes to bed size. Neither my husband nor myself is large (au contraire), but we are both (especially moi) restless sleepers. We are not very happy campers in queen size beds. That's one of the primary reasons we chose to take our first cruise (and all the rest) on Regent. The beds aren't quite the size of kings in the U.S. but they are MUCH closer to our kings than to our queens. No way we could sleep (comfortably) in a 60" wide bed. I believe that some kind person (maybe even Orpington) actually measured the bed width for me, and I'm virtually certain it was 72."

We for sure can't afford the new ship and may not be able to cruise again in any case. (Though I've got a dream about being on that Alaska sailing with you, Rachel.)

Whilst beds are fascinating - and a whole heap of debate might be had about them - I'm more concerned about the lack of a promenade deck, no aft facing lounge and puzzled by that deck 5 pool. On further investigation, I have a feeling that it is not an inside pool but an outdoor area for the spa, which doesn't appear to have a hydro therapy pool!

Apart from jazzing up a few suites I can't see anything that makes this "the most luxurious ship ever built". It's ok if you can afford Explorer suite or above but the rest of it looks pretty standard tbh.

More info is required on the plans for dining options and an explanation for why there seems to be such limited deck space, no hydro therapy pool etc - for the most luxurious ship in the world. Cunard & P & O do fantastic spas, Cunard's is also Canyon Ranch, so it shouldn't be difficult.

On the basis of what I've seen so far, I'm glad we are on Mariner in April, that looks a far better layout for us.

In terms of cabin categories, the entry level, 219 square ft., seems awfully awfully small for a luxury ship. I wouldn't want it --

Take a look at the pricing for a 10-night Med. voyage in August. It also shows cabins sizes. Hope it shows up okay, if not, here's the link: http://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP160803/summary/default.aspx

Carolyn

642080019_ScreenShot2015-01-15at1_09_41PM.jpg.56ea72c3551188753bca5701f1b6a9c6.jpg

After I had a day to sort of digest everything -- and I can understand why all the media led with the priciest suite because that's a lot of dough -- it seemed to me that the ship has a lot to offer to travelers at the lower ends (except for that first suite, at a tiny 219 square ft.). Wrote up a blog on the theory -- curious for your impressions -- and check out the video cause there's some nice footage there.

Carolyn

Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2015/01/14/why-luxury-lovers-should-be-excited-about-regent-seven-seas-explorer/

The H cabins on Explorer may be comparatively small to other Regent ships, but compare well to Crystal's regular staterooms in much older ships. I suspect that if they do not sell well, they can easily be priced better for single cruisers.

Note the much larger balconies for all but some G2s. I think that alone makes Explorer more attractive than the other Regent ships. Also, the aft G2 cabins may be the best deal right now.

I thought the October itineraries that debark/embark in Israel are unique - I don't recall any major line doing that in the last 10 years. It's perfect for pre-cruising and post-cruising in Israel. But in that case, it would probably be more effective for the cruise ending in Israel to only have one or two nights there, not three.

Edited by iamheisenberg

The more I see and read about the new ship and the more I read the comments and questions posed by many long time CC members, it has seemed that recently there has been an awful lot of chatter about Oceania on the Regent board. A lot. I'm thinking that this new "most beautiful" ship with some of the seemingly interesting layouts, including tiny little cabins.....very unRegent like...is very much like the o "most beautiful ships" ever with little cabins that take the place of the inside rooms on Oceania. I rarely see anyone waxing poetic about the insides on O...only the fancier cabins. This new ship has a similar feel or vibe to it the more I think about it and by throwing in or deleting the liquor factor, seems like it is more like Regeania. It seems like a blurring of the lines, to me, despite the fact that I will be told that I'm wrong. Will people be gushing and raving about the minis? I find them most disappointing and not what I have come to expect from Regent.

Unless I'm missing something, aren't there exactly two category H mini suites on the entire ship? If so, it seems like it's hardly worth mentioning them. They don't define the ship any more than the 3,000 square foot Regent suite does. It's unlikely that we'll stay in either one.

What will define the ship, imho is the larger balconies. And the extra space is depth, it'll be usable too.

Unless I'm missing something, aren't there exactly two category H mini suites on the entire ship? If so, it seems like it's hardly worth mentioning them. They don't define the ship any more than the 3,000 square foot Regent suite does. It's unlikely that we'll stay in either one.

What will define the ship, imho is the larger balconies. And the extra space is depth, it'll be usable too.

6 forward and 2 midship on Deck 6 and 4 more midship on Deck 7. But, yes, not that many.

http://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP

6 forward and 2 midship on Deck 6 and 4 more midship on Deck 7. But, yes, not that many.

http://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP

Am thinking that these 12 suites might just be the single suites that were promised earlier and are being sold as doubles for the initial season and hopefully will be sold as singles at less than the 200% current single costs????

The size indicates that they are about 2/3 of the next size so would be good for one person but, as a squeeze for a couple on a luxury cruise ship.

Hopefully someone from Regent will come on and clarify these smaller suites.

Well said. There is a lot to like about the Explorer; not the least of which is it'll provide more itineraries - hopefully new and/or interesting! I'm having fun pouring through the info but I'll hold judgment until some of you write actual cruise experiences. I have a "significant" birthday in 2017 and would love to find that the Explorer is THE place to spend it.

Well said. There is a lot to like about the Explorer; not the least of which is it'll provide more itineraries - hopefully new and/or interesting! I'm having fun pouring through the info but I'll hold judgment until some of you write actual cruise experiences. I have a "significant" birthday in 2017 and would love to find that the Explorer is THE place to spend it.

That was brought up last night - we were asked where we would like to see the Explorer sail - overwhelmingly, the response was somewhere new and exciting, NOT the Caribbean or the Med. I think they were surprised when most people mentioned unless they were going to some new ports, the Med is not on the top of most people's list. Some people mentioned an in depth voyage throughout Australia and others mentioned South America or Africa.

gnomie :)

That was brought up last night - we were asked where we would like to see the Explorer sail - overwhelmingly, the response was somewhere new and exciting, NOT the Caribbean or the Med. I think they were surprised when most people mentioned unless they were going to some new ports, the Med is not on the top of most people's list. Some people mentioned an in depth voyage throughout Australia and others mentioned South America or Africa.

Any talk of a "World Cruise?"

j

Any talk of a "World Cruise?"

I did not bring it up because at this point in my life, I am still working and cannot take that much time off - there were people present who spoke on how much they enjoyed their world cruise and were sorry to see that it is no longer offered - no one from Regent responded to that comment. From the conversation, it did not appear to me that there are any immediate plans to offer the world cruise again, but they did say they are looking into new ports of interest.