Car rental in Torshavn

Has anyone rented a car for the day in Torshavn? Did you book it in advance or chance doing it in port? There seems to be a big difference in price among the different companies. Were you given a map or did you come with your own itinerary?

There are so many things to see that I think we will be better to do this on our own.

Also, do you need an international driver's license?

Thank you for any information you can give me

Nancy

We used a guide in Torshavn as we wanted to be sure to get to the places we wanted to see and we also used him to book our tour at the Vestmanna Bird Cliffs. The tours were shown as booked because the cruise line had blocked them. You really don't need a guide there as there aren't very many roads and the towns are very small. You can just drive from island to island. It takes longer than you would think to get places, however, because the roads are narrow and windy. You should probably do some research ahead of time to decide exactly where you want to go because it does take some time to get from islands on one side to islands on the other side. We had to skip part of our itinerary as we were afraid we would be late getting back to the ship. I don't know about the cost of the car rental but I'm sure that once you decide which company you want to use, they will be able to tell you if you need an international driver's license. Also, we ate lunch at the small restaurant at the Bird Cliffs Tour Ticket place (it was the only place around) and it was really good. The selection on the buffet was limited but it was delicious. We loved the Bird Cliffs.

Archived