Do you miss the days...

klfhngr

when you could go on a cruise and have no clue as to what was going on at home or in the world?! Or even how your sports teams were doing? You actually had to wait until you got home? I miss those days, felt like I really got away.

Or, do you like the current times, knowing what's going on, able to keep in touch with the world?

Nothing has changed. You don't have to keep your cell phone on. You don't have to watch TV. You don't have to surf the Internet.

We're split.

I get onboard and the phone is turned off and tossed in the safe.

On the other hand, SunFlower buys her internet minutes even before making her spa reservations. Every day, she's on the net, checking the e-mail and the bank account. Says she's concerned about unauthorized charges.

I figure that, I've provided the CC company with our itinerary and advised that we will only approve overseas charges on those days we're in that port. If there's a problem, we'll fix it on our return.

As far as what's happening back home (at work, the extended family, etc.), we'll find out when we get back. There's really nothing we can do about anything from a few thousand miles away . . .

I really can't think of anything so critical that would require our termination of the cruise and return to the world. I hold an important position, but not THAT important. If my staff can't handle whatever comes up, then A) I picked the wrong staff, B) I didn't train them well enough, C) I'll fix it when I get back or D) I'll draw unemployment while looking for a new job.

C'est la vie!

(did I spell that correctly? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.)

Edited by Calgon1

Let alone being on a cruise for several days....Id be happy to not see the majority of people on their"devices" just while out to dinner at a restaurant for a couple of hours!

Just curious.......why do you care if other people are on their phones/tablets while in a restaurant? I assume you meant other people at other tables, and not your dining companions.

Just curious.......why do you care if other people are on their phones/tablets while in a restaurant? I assume you meant other people at other tables, and not your dining companions.

Not everyone wants to hear someone's table conversation from 8 tables away , let alone a cell phone conversation at the same volume. Kinda hard to ignore people that talk so loud they might as well be making speeches to the masses.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Not everyone wants to hear someone's table conversation from 8 tables away , let alone a cell phone conversation at the same volume. Kinda hard to ignore people that talk so loud they might as well be making speeches to the masses.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

But that's an issue about volume, not technology. I get that, but it doesn't matter to me if they're talking loudly on the phone or to their friend across the table (or to their kids! don't get me started........)

I don't care if a person is chatting quietly with a tablemate, chatting quietly on the phone, or not talking at all and texting between bites. What I'm saying is I don't care if they're using their technology.

I'm only in my 30s and owning my own business is a big part of what gives me the freedom and finances to cruise so much at this stage of life.. but with that comes a very pressing need to be connected to the world even when on holiday. If we did not have the technology we do to enable to let me connect even on board, I would not be able to travel because I have to touch base and answer important emails/calls at least twice/day even on vacation.

I shut off my phone at sailaway and lock it in the safe. I almost never use my internet minutes. I try to unplug completely, though I do miss getting the daily printed news letters that have been gone for a number of years now

Me too-Use my internet minutes to print boarding pass- usually cruise Princess and their TV is limited to a little news and mostly recorded shows and movies. Tell my family is costs ALOT of money to get ahold of me and vice versa so most "emergencies" have waited until we got off the ship lol