Need Opinion on Taking our Kids

We are getting married December 1st on embarktion day. We live about 5 hours from the peir and will be driving up the day before. My husband and I both have 5 year old boys from previous marriages. I really want them there to participate in our wedding, but this is our honey moon as well. Most of our famlies are coming on the cruise with us, so even if they came for just the wedding, we would not have someone to take them back. I'm not sure what to do, I feel guilty not having them there, but also I would be worried the whole time if I did have someone take them back wondering if they got home ok, etc.. My parents have offered to bring them aboard, but I dont want to inconveince them and then worry about the kids getting lost, etc. I know I am being selfish, maybe I should bring them along, I jsut hate for everyone to feel obligated in taking care of them. Just wanted everyones opinion. Thank you

I posted a response to your question in my "shopaholic, neurotic bride" thread too!

If you want them along and your parents are offering their supervision services, take them up! They wouldn't offer it unless they wanted to help. I wouldn't worry about the kids getting lost. I'm sure their grandparents will make sure of that!

We brought my son along and spent quite a good bit of time with him, even though he was staying in my grandfather's room. However, keep in mind that there is Camp and activities all day long (at least on Carnival) and even dinners for them to be with the other kids onboard. They had time slots where you had to pick them up for about 2 hours a day, and then there is also night time babysitting for $6/hour from 10-3 AM.

We brought my son along and spent quite a good bit of time with him, even though he was staying in my grandfather's room. However, keep in mind that there is Camp and activities all day long (at least on Carnival) and even dinners for them to be with the other kids onboard. They had time slots where you had to pick them up for about 2 hours a day, and then there is also night time babysitting for $6/hour from 10-3 AM.

We brought my 10 year old son. He stayed with my parents 2 of the 4 nights. I am sure the grandparents also understand this is your honeymoon and won't mind watching them. Maybe if his parents are also going, they would each agree to keep them in their cabin for 1 night. Then that would give you 2 nights alone. Like Nikki said, Camp Carnival is wonderful and they keep them alot for no cost, except after 10pm, which we did on one of the nights he was with us. This is his 2nd cruise and he LOVES Camp Carnival. THey really do a lot with the kids and they love it. Plus, they are the same age and will be together. I know I had more peace of mind with him on the ship with us, than if he were to have stayed back with someone.

Good Luck! Oh, and you aren't selfish - you only get 1 (or for some of us 2) honeymoons. hehe! Seriously, this is your time, don't feel guilty!

Hugs,

We brought my 10 year old son. He stayed with my parents 2 of the 4 nights. I am sure the grandparents also understand this is your honeymoon and won't mind watching them. Maybe if his parents are also going, they would each agree to keep them in their cabin for 1 night. Then that would give you 2 nights alone. Like Nikki said, Camp Carnival is wonderful and they keep them alot for no cost, except after 10pm, which we did on one of the nights he was with us. This is his 2nd cruise and he LOVES Camp Carnival. THey really do a lot with the kids and they love it. Plus, they are the same age and will be together. I know I had more peace of mind with him on the ship with us, than if he were to have stayed back with someone.

Good Luck! Oh, and you aren't selfish - you only get 1 (or for some of us 2) honeymoons. hehe! Seriously, this is your time, don't feel guilty!

Hugs,

Thanks Donna! I am going to discuss this with my fiance and see what he is thinking. It seems like the wedding is creeping up so fast, I need to make a decison soon. My sons dad is willing to keep him while we are gone. If we decide not to take them, we are going to plan a special trip for them as well. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts!

I say take the boys! I just got married in Feb. and we took all 4 of our kids. They had such a great time. If you have family that are willing to bunk with them even better. Camp Carnival is wonderful! I just think you may regret them not being at your wedding after its over. If you should bring them, you might want to consider a sand ceremony and include them in the ceremony (just my opinion). We did this and the kids really felt included. Good Luck!

I used to be in the same "boat" as you. Couldn't resist:D

My wife has two kids from a previous marriage. The only difference was that we had our ceremony the night before the cruise and they were part of it. The kids were 5 & 7 at the time. They stayed with grandparents and we went off on our cruise.

So I can see your dilemma. We are now celebrating our 10th anniversary this year so maybe I can give you some perspective. You don't mention if this is your first ever cruise which may help you decide.

In general there won't be many times when the two of you can just get away on a nice vacation such as a cruise. At least in the near future.

I have to admit it was nice just to sneak away back to the cabin at a moments notice. To take a nap of course. Or do whatever we wanted whenever. Very relaxing feeling.

The fact that the kids are both 5. Would they have a good time? Yeah. But they would also have a good time at your local McDonalds kids playground too.

So before I start sounding anti-kid let me say this. My kids went on a Disney Cruise at the ages of 11 and 13. So me and the wife had our cruise alone experience, and we took the kids on this cruise at a age where we felt they could REALLY appreciate a cruise ship. The shows, the kids clubs, the little extra freedom they had because they were on this ship. But it was a little more work for us. Check on the kids, make sure they met at the cabin before dinner, somehow they got bored and wanted to hang out at a bar with us one afternoon. But overall it was a good experience.

And just a couple of years ago they had a 8 day Disney (land) vacation. But now the wife and I are cruising to Bermuda on our own and we need it! So our honeymoon cruise, first 7 day vacation by ourselves, and now our Bermuda 7 day cruise 10 years later. Actually had a 5 night Canada cruise on our own too, but trust me, did the kids a favor by having them skip that trip!

So if you do ultimately decide to leave the kids behind don't feel selfish! They will get their turn someday. My neigbors are coming along on our cruise. Celebrating their 10 year also. This is their first vacation greater then 3 days that does not include their kids. So you will have plenty of vacations with your kids, those are easy. Trying to go without them is hard and very rare.

But go with your heart. Honestly there is no right and wrong answer here.

Good luck with everything!

My son is going with us along with most of our family. My son and father are giving me away :) I wanted to include him in the ceremony and I thought that would be a good way to include him. I honestly could not imagine getting married without the other most important person in my life.

Archived