bigger passenger

closure

[quote name='LesaL']Miss Rabbit,

The wicker furniture is not at all flimsy. The wicker covers some sort of metal base that gives it plenty of strength. I actually have similar on my porch and was delighted to find them on the ship. Very comfy.[/quote]

That's awesome, tks for letting us know!

[quote name='MissRabbit']what kind of stateroom are you in on the Celebrity Sillhouette? You might want to google for floor plans for it. Unless the toilet is in its own cubicle, you should be fine in a regular cabin. But look at the floorplans for your particular cabin category.

Showers are never big enough no matter what lol. As for the rest of the furniture in the cabin, there's always the bed and the sofa if the chairs have arms on them.

I would definately contact Celebrity's special needs dep't with some of your questions and concerns. They are there to help. They'd know things like whether they have armless chairs in Blu, as it's a specialty restaurant.[/QUOTE]

We have booked an AQ Cabin. I just spoke to a Celebrity representative who emailed me a special needs form for DH's CPAP machine and large camp chair DH uses for the beach and pool. He also gave me instructions on who to talk to once we're aboard about muster and DH's mobility issues.

I sent an email to the shore excursion department to ask about Level 1 accessible tours.

And if the shower isn't big enough, DH can go up to the men's locker room and use the shower there.

Thanks for your reply.
njaloha

• 4 weeks later...
Miss Rabbit,
My husband weighs 400+ lbs and we have traveled 4 times with an onboard rental scooter, but for our upcoming April "12 San Juan departure, we are unable to find one. Neither Care Vacations nor Special Needs at Sea provide rentals for bariactric scooters from San Juan. Do you or anyone else know of a solution to our delemia?
Your posts have always been very helpful. I hope you can help us with this one.
Dorothy

[quote name='tcher0619']Miss Rabbit,
My husband weighs 400+ lbs and we have traveled 4 times with an onboard rental scooter, but for our upcoming April "12 San Juan departure, we are unable to find one. Neither Care Vacations nor Special Needs at Sea provide rentals for bariactric scooters from San Juan. Do you or anyone else know of a solution to our delemia?
Dorothy[/quote]

Your only option might be isto see if you can rent one locally and take it on the plane with you. This may not be a bad idea as than he would not require wheelchair assistance at the airports and he would be able to drive it right up to the airplane door.

[quote name='tcher0619']Miss Rabbit,
Dorothy[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]Have you looked into getting or renting a [URL="http://www.travelscoot.com/"]TravelScoot[/URL]? I've had mine for two years now, and would not consider traveling (or shopping or museum-ing, etc.) without it.

TravelScoot is an ultralightweight, foldable, battery-operated scooter that lots of mobility-challenged folks of all sizes (including bigger than your hubby) are using to improve their lives. One of them keeps a blog about it at [URL]http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/[/URL] . There are lots of useful links there, including to the manufacturer and (somewhere) to a place that rents them.

My experience with it on cruise ships has been wonderful, as well as flying to departure ports. Skip the wheelchair in the airports, ride the 'Scoot right to the gate, and then gate-check it just like a baby stroller. (Gate crews are thrilled at its light weight.)

The first time we cruised with my 'Scoot, our only challenge was that our cabin door was about 1" too narrow for it to fit through, so we either tilted it or folded it to get through. Since then, my mobility/strength have decreased enough that I require the features of a HC cabin, where door width is no longer an issue.

There's no way I could walk the length of the megaships like Oasis OS (and soon her sister Allure OS) even once, let alone several times a day. I'd either be stuck in my cabin, or needing someone to push me in a chair. My TravelScoot brings freedom and independence to me, at sea, and at home.

I could go on and on about my TravelScoot -- no I don't work for the company (wish I did) -- I just love how much better my life is with it.

Hope this helps you and hubs have many a Bon Voyage.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='coach_anne'][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]Have you looked into getting or renting a [URL="http://www.travelscoot.com/"]TravelScoot[/URL]? I've had mine for two years now, and would not consider traveling (or shopping or museum-ing, etc.) without it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=darkred] [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

They look like they would work well, but their site says they only hold up to 320 pounds. They may not work well for Miss Rabbit's husband.

It is too bad they don't hold a bit more or they would be perfect my mother and myself as well.

[quote name='Feels Goodman']They look like they would work well, but their site says they only hold up to 320 pounds. They may not work well for Miss Rabbit's husband.

It is too bad they don't hold a bit more or they would be perfect my mother and myself as well.[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]Check out the blog I linked to -- there are many folks using TravelScoot quite successfully, who weigh far more than 320#. We've tried unsuccessfully (so far) to get the company to up that "CYA" # on their website.

You can also post to that blog, or call/email the company, asking for TS owners who live near you, who may be willing to let you test drive their TravelScoot.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

You can also post to that blog, or call/email the company, asking for TS owners who live near you, who may be willing to let you test drive their TravelScoot.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will check the site right now. With another cruise planned in August and then one in '13, it would pay for itself without having to rent anymore.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hello all!! Sorry I have been a bit absent but I try. I was catching up on the posts and just few notes. (some may be from way back so bear with me!!!)

- Take a look at Junonia.com if you are looking for some active/swimwear. They have some amazing options in that category.

- Also for the great big guys in our life try kingsizedirect.com they have some options up to 80inch waist. Or Bigmen.com they have great customer service, have been in bus for a very long time.

- get your own seat belt extender at extend-its.com. By far the best POS item I have bought!!!!!

- Go to magellans.com and look up the Walkstool. It shrinks up tiny, like they say it looks like a thermos but it is rated to 440pds I think. It really is amazing and a life saver if you get stuck waiting for a long period of time.

Hope this helps out for some ideas on mobility issues. Anything that makes the trip more enjoyable.

:):)

[quote name='panbear']Hello all!! Sorry I have been a bit absent but I try. I was catching up on the posts and just few notes. (some may be from way back so bear with me!!!)

- Take a look at Junonia.com if you are looking for some active/swimwear. They have some amazing options in that category.

- Also for the great big guys in our life try kingsizedirect.com they have some options up to 80inch waist. Or Bigmen.com they have great customer service, have been in bus for a very long time.

- get your own seat belt extender at extend-its.com. By far the best POS item I have bought!!!!!

- Go to magellans.com and look up the Walkstool. It shrinks up tiny, like they say it looks like a thermos but it is rated to 440pds I think. It really is amazing and a life saver if you get stuck waiting for a long period of time.

Hope this helps out for some ideas on mobility issues. Anything that makes the trip more enjoyable.

:):)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jackretired']For another web site click [URL="http://www.bigtalldirect.com/"]here[/URL].

Also click [URL="http://www.accesstr.com/"]here[/URL].[/QUOTE]

Thank you both, for this info. The Big and Tall Store in the mall closed at the end of last year, so DH is definitely going to need a new source. DH loves Magellans and actually has a Walk Stool somewhere in his office. :rolleyes: Now if we could just find it!!!! :eek:

[quote name='panbear']Hello all!! Sorry I have been a bit absent but I try. I was catching up on the posts and just few notes. (some may be from way back so bear with me!!!)

:):)[/quote]

For plus size ladies swimsuits (or even super plus), I love the following site:
[URL]http://sanctuarie-net.stores.yahoo.net/twopiplsisus.html[/URL]

their swimsuits are very pretty, very roomy - they are almost like a dress with a pair of big panties and you can wear a bra with them. I have gotten so many comments on mine and everytime I wear it, every plus size lady always asks where I got it.

[quote name='meatloafsfan']For plus size ladies swimsuits (or even super plus), I love the following site:

their swimsuits are very pretty, very roomy - they are almost like a dress with a pair of big panties and you can wear a bra with them. I have gotten so many comments on mine and everytime I wear it, every plus size lady always asks where I got it.[/quote]

will check that out. I've been going through so many swimsuits for Aquafit that i'm hunting around for other options where the material will hold out longer.

[quote name='njaloha']Thank you both, for this info. The Big and Tall Store in the mall closed at the end of last year, so DH is definitely going to need a new source. DH loves Magellans and actually has a Walk Stool somewhere in his office. :rolleyes: Now if we could just find it!!!! :eek:[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Navy"]I shop at "Casual Male Big and Tall" for my clothes & "Living Well XL" for furnishings that I don't have to worry about breaking.[/COLOR][/COLOR] Edited by Treven

Hi all. I just found this thread, but have been a member of the CC forum for probably 5 years.

Thanks for the tip about being able to buy your own seatbelt extender--I HATE asking for them!

Someone asked a question about armless chairs in the dining room and whether you have to request them on a daily basis or if they will just put one there for you. In my experience, on ships where I've needed an armless chair all I had to do was ask our waiter once and at every dinner "my" chair was there waiting for me. :)

Regarding swimwear, I wear a size 4X and can totally vouch for the amazing swimsuits from Junonia that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Don't let the fact that they are on the expensive side deter you--they are so much better than swimsuits from Woman Within, Catherine's or JMS (my clothing stand-bys). I think I paid about $119 for my last suit (it was a 2 piece.) I am very busty (48DDD) and usually have trouble finding swimsuits that are supportive enough. I also have trouble finding suits that aren't totally revealing. But Junonia's suits fit great and have like three layers of supportive, stretchy material in the bust area that keep "the girls" well supported.

My family and I are cruising on the Carnival Magic on 3/25. So excited! :D

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]With every swimsuit I've bought from Junonia, I've had to wear swim shorts underneath -- even the one-piece tanks -- because the crotch panel is too narrow/leg holes are too big. Fine for sunbathing, or maybe even water walking, but far too revealing for actual swimming. :eek: Maybe they build them more for "pears" than for "apples".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='meatloafsfan']For plus size ladies swimsuits (or even super plus), I love the following site:

their swimsuits are very pretty, very roomy - they are almost like a dress with a pair of big panties and you can wear a bra with them. I have gotten so many comments on mine and everytime I wear it, every plus size lady always asks where I got it.[/quote]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]But can you actually [I]swim[/I] in them? Or snorkel? Looks like all that flowing fabric might get in the way of moving arms & legs -- or even a mask. :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='coach_anne'][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]But can you actually [I]swim[/I] in them? Or snorkel? Looks like all that flowing fabric might get in the way of moving arms & legs -- or even a mask. :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I swim in mine all the time :D. If I'm doing something like snorkeling (or I was teaching my nephew to swim) and I'm worried about the flowing material, I just tuck it in while I'm in the water. They also offer swim shorts that you could wear under the dress part if you don't like the panties.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]Thanks for the quick reply -- much appreciated. Maybe I'll give a Sanctuarie suit a try on my upcoming cruise?

One more question -- how are they for support "up top"? Doesn't look like they have shelf bras...

Thanks again![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Anyone know about this ship? It will be out of Galveston in September this year, which is a drivable port for me. I plan to go solo, which according to the the solo board should be no problem. Interested in hearing about any experiences and expecially wondering if there is seating that is comfortable (armless or roomy) in the public venues.

Thanks, everyone.

Lesa

[quote name='LesaL']Anyone know about this ship? It will be out of Galveston in September this year, which is a drivable port for me. I plan to go solo, which according to the the solo board should be no problem. Interested in hearing about any experiences and expecially wondering if there is seating that is comfortable (armless or roomy) in the public venues.

Thanks, everyone.

Lesa[/quote]

I'm going on the Magic for spring break at the end of March. I'll be sure to report back. :)

Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about,

[URL]http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-14-maxxdaddy-monster-folding-camp-chair.aspx[/URL]

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.

[quote name='garyf3']Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

[URL]http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-14-maxxdaddy-monster-folding-camp-chair.aspx[/URL]

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.[/QUOTE]

Why not. Go for it. Edited by jackretired

[quote name='garyf3']Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank you so much for posting this question. I had this same question and sent an email to Celebrity, even filled out a special needs form stating that my DH has mobility issues and needs the chair for the pool deck and shore excursions as well. Because of knee issues, he finds getting in and out of lounge chairs nearly impossible and somewhat embarrassing. Needless to say, I received no answer from them, so I'm assuming no news is good news so a luggage tag is going on that sucker and off we go!!!!! :D