CCL Superbowl Commercial

Frank12

Remember that this commercial was for Carnival CORPORATION, so they had to make it appealing to a larger sliver of the population. They couldn't make it appealing just to the average Carnival cruiser, but for everybody whether on Seabourn, Cunard, Princess, Holland, Costa or Carnival. And what does every cruiser has in common? Love for the sea.

Personally, I though that the commercial was AWESOME. It was very appealing, intelligent, and well presented. I loved it from beginning to end. And I'm not even from the "JFK era". :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well said!!!! I liked the cruise virgin comercial. However for the broader corporation this comercial was prob best.

If the JFK commercial was meant to encourage viewers to cruise on one of Carnival Corps cruise lines it fell short of doing that. I really do not know what the message was, other than being sentimental for those of us who remember JFK. Nice commercial though. I believe Message in the bottle should have been the one that would entice people to cruise, especially first timers.

"Good to the Last Drop"

"The Quicker Picker Upper"

"Melts in Your Mouth, Not Your Hands"

It is all in the slogan. When you are at the store selecting your paper towel, what pops in your mind? How many specifics can you really recall from the number of commercials we are bombarded with. Now take that forward to when it comes time to plan a vacation. Not just us cruise addicts, but everyone. Is "I first did it with my parents" or "come back to the sea" going to be most likely recollected at decision time.

This one has more than just the slogan - a memory of a notorious voice, beautiful water scenery, relationships (remember the girl with father, older couple holding hands...) as well as serenity (the silhouette of the woman paddling on the pontoon). But in the end, it will be "come back to the sea" that sticks with people and my bet, persuades them to book a cruise.

Documentary material, inspiration (:rolleyes:) to cruise for me, NO. Is this for Carnival or for cruising in general? I see no connection to Carnival specifically. I see other adds for Carnival and see no connection. They trying to change there image again?

Like has been said befor this wasnt for just carnival cruise lines!!!! It was for all the brands!

A) I thought it was blah.

Commercials 101....they are suppose to grab you from the second they hit the screen. This was a snoozefest. Even the delivery of Kennedy's voice was almost unrecognizable at first. Then the audio was difficult to understand.

And look at the huge number of complaints from people who did not even remember it being one of the four. That does not shout "memorable" to me.

B) Advertising 101 is to avoid controversial issues unless pushing an agenda is the goal.

No business should ever have an ad that alienates a large part of their customer base. And when it then leads to the ridicule of a large customer base on public media sites simply based on their beliefs... it leaves Carnival looking careless and clueless.

Edited by LHP

I like it. Thus was a brand/image ad and I think was very effective. The JFK speech was great. Perhaps more people would have a better response if the speech was read by a recognizable actor. I liked the cruise virgin ad but that is more product specific. Perhaps not as much bang for superbowl ad spend.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

It's being rated as one of the worst commercials of the Super Bowl. Several sites gave it an F. It was a totally boring commercial, along with many of the commercials that were shown this year. Cruise Virgin would have been edgy enough for the Super Bowl and probably would have gotten a much better rating.

It's being rated as one of the worst commercials of the Super Bowl. Several sites gave it an F. It was a totally boring commercial, along with many of the commercials that were shown this year. Cruise Virgin would have been edgy enough for the Super Bowl and probably would have gotten a much better rating.

Just saw the JFK commercial. BORING!

What happened to all the creative energy of past Superbowl commercials? It was like all the creative directors out in Ad Land got together and and decided America needed a GIANT YAWN!!!! :(

Man, that's a lot of advertising spending $$$$$$$ wasted not just by Carnival but by most of the Companies running commercials last night. Lots of ad firms are going to be fired this week!!;) Maybe even more than the number of NFL coaches fired this year.:eek:

I absolutely cannot believe they didn't run the cruise virgin ad. It's the Superbowl and you spend millions to run an ad that will be forgotten about? Everyone would have been talking about the cruise virgin ad today. It would have received millions of youtube hits. Yes, it may be somewhat controversial, but I think most people have a sense of humor. Those that don't would probably just complain about everything on a cruise anyway. Carnival just wasted millions in advertising money. They could have gotten far more bang for their buck running the ad they chose 200 times on the Lifetime Network. They developed and produced an amazing ad and someone got scared and didn't run it. I would fire whomever that is.

The ironic thing is their safe ad is still stirring up controversy. Huge fail on the part of Carnival Corp.

Edited by cantthinkofanythingfun

what in the name of hades happened to all the hype for this ad? example:vote for the one you like--win a cruise per year for life. all of those ads were really good. i bet you "the virgins" won hands down for THE ONE. the really stupid ad they ran was not even in the running on the VOTE scene. i know they made six and i wondered why 2 were not up for the vote. what a come on and what a rip off and what a god awful decision!!! who decided to run that thing. what a waste of money---and after 26 carnival cruises i feel like a portion of that money was definitely mine whoever made that decision should be shot--at the very least should be FIRED!!! as one someone posted, "if they had run the virgins, everyone all over god's creation would be talking about that ad today.

an absolute goof up if one every happened. arnold donald should think twice before RAISING CCL PRICES after that big debackle.

what in the name of hades happened to all the hype for this ad? example:vote for the one you like--win a cruise per year for life. all of those ads were really good. i bet you "the virgins" won hands down for THE ONE. the really stupid ad they ran was not even in the running on the VOTE scene. i know they made six and i wondered why 2 were not up for the vote. what a come on and what a rip off and what a god awful decision!!! who decided to run that thing. what a waste of money---and after 26 carnival cruises i feel like a portion of that money was definitely mine whoever made that decision should be shot--at the very least should be FIRED!!! as one someone posted, "if they had run the virgins, everyone all over god's creation would be talking about that ad today.

an absolute goof up if one every happened. arnold donald should think twice before RAISING CCL PRICES after that big debackle.

Should be shot? A little overboard don't you think? There are worse things in life.

I think the commercial was great. It showed the different lines, a variety of the places the cruise and it brought a feeling of calm and serenity. The people I watched the game with had no idea princess was part of carnival corp. I think the ad did what it was intended to do.

What I find interesting this may not have the commercial Carnival planned to run. I watched a rerun of the Super Bowl Best Commercial show last night. They gave a sneak peak of the commercials for this year's Super Bowl. They previewed Carnival's Virgin Cruiser commercial.

I wonder if the Go Daddy controversy caused Carnival to switch at the last minute.

What I find interesting this may not have the commercial Carnival planned to run. I watched a rerun of the Super Bowl Best Commercial show last night. They gave a sneak peak of the commercials for this year's Super Bowl. They previewed Carnival's Virgin Cruiser commercial.

I wonder if the Go Daddy controversy caused Carnival to switch at the last minute.

i've been wondering too if this was a last minute type swap... i read this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidlariviere/2015/01/28/carnival-cruise-lines-bud-light-may-have-best-super-bowl-ads-expert-says/

the other day where the author said:

However, the ad most likely to go viral after Sunday, says Quesenberry, is Carnival's “Get Away” telling a fantasy story in a five-act structure.

so that one was for 'get away'... i'm not sure if this is the result of CCL providing false info, or a misguided reporter... he made no mention of it in his follow up today... but forbes is typically pretty reputable (and apparently that analysis came from the 'expert')...

i think it was a big missed opportunity regardless for carnival corp.

The commercial was beautiful and classy.Carnival has the image of a party ship and it needs to change that in order to attract a different crowd.This commercial was understated but you got the messageA cruise on carnival can be what you want it to be.

The calmness of this commercial reminded me of the "Come back new" commercials on Princess, which IMHO are right on for their product (After our first Princess cruise last year, we definitely "came back new" and I could completely relate to what their commercials try to deliver).

I still think that this commercial was wonderful. Intelligent, inspiring and sophisticated. However, I don't think it was the right choice for the Super Bowl, simply because most people watching the Super Bowl are in noisy, crowded locales, and they are more engaged by the visuals than by soothing views and an inspiring speech read by a past President.

Edited by Tapi

The calmness of this commercial reminded me of the "Come back new" commercials on Princess, which IMHO are right on for their product (After our first Princess cruise last year, we definitely "came back new" and I could completely relate to what their commercials try to deliver).

I still think that this commercial was wonderful. Intelligent, inspiring and sophisticated. However, I don't think it was the right choice for the Super Bowl, simply because most people watching the Super Bowl are in noisy, crowded locales, and they are more engaged by the visuals than by soothing views and an inspiring speech read by a past President.

I really liked the commercial but you're right: it was probably lost on a great majority of the SB crowd that saw it yesterday. Hopefully they will continue it in more appropriate evening time slots and I think it will get a better reception.