Pharmacies - no px required???

big bro

I was shocked to see pharmacies in the cruise port selling literally any drug you wanted without a px??? And what shocked me more was what looked to be intelligent people in there buying these drugs.... what were they thinking??? how do you know what you may be ingesting??

No wonder antibiotics are over used...

I too have been shocked and especially since I'm an icu nurse for 35+ yrs but when you put it in perspective with the way US pharmaceuticals inflate prices for high profit margins for stockholders part of it makes sense. Those of us that are insured and have low co-pays don't get it @ all but if you have no insurance or marginal it makes sense to pick up a round of an antibx you use once a year for resp crud or something for a chronic condition that is so much cheaper.

But how do you know what your are getting is legit, regardless of the savings...

The pharmacies are regulated by the government. Not as strict as the us. You can get most medications without a script. some do need scrips like pain killers and other meds.

I have been using pharmacies in Belize for over six years. And most of my friends who live here do as well. All drugs from a regulated pharmacy are of the same quality as any generic drug in the states.

In the US, we often do not know the origin of the drugs commonly purchased through our local large drugstore chains. We assume the drugs are safe but have you ever asked the pharmacist where the drug was produced?

This is a different issue but also raises the question of why the assumption drugs purchased outside of the US might be unsafe.