Any word on the new Viking Longboats?

Spudee

I know that 6 (I think) were to be launched in the Northern Spring and I saw a post a few weeks back that 2 were on sea trials. Anyone got any new goss on what their current status is?

Where will the Odin sail?

Wendy, looks like Romantic Danube cruise from

Budapest-Nuremberg

May 5, 19; Jun 2, 16, 30; Jul 14, 28; Aug 11, 25; Sep 8, 22; Oct 6, 20; Nov 3, 17; Dec 1, 15, 29

Nuremberg-Budapest

May 12, 26; Jun 9, 23; Jul 7, 21; Aug 4, 18; Sep 1, 29; Oct 13, 27; Nov 10, 24; Dec 8, 22

The new longships look very impressive! I would like to wait for some good feedback on the new vessels before taking the plunge with Viking. River cruising is indeed getting quite popular. We find it to be the "happy medium" between land touring and ocean cruising.

Ozjohno, I've read some of your posts on the Tauck forum. Good to see you on CC, as well! We're huge fans of Tauck, too!

As I understand it, two of the new boats will be late and a total of 5 cruises have been canceled

I would not be surprised. Are they being built in Italy? I just heard last week that one of Oceania's ships (ocean cruise ships) will be delayed due to strikes at the Italian shipyard. I think I'll have to check out the Facebook page for Viking.

No, the longships are build at Neptun Werft in Rostock, Germany.

Viking ordered another 4 longships for 2013 (next to the already ordered 2 longships Viking Skadi and Viking Bradi. So there are 6 longships for 2012 and another 6 for 2013. Besides that Viking is also building two small ocean going vessels.

steamboats

We were booked for April 6 sailing of the Njord but it has been delayed so our trip was canceled. We were able to get booked on the May 2 sailing on the same ship with some pretty nice perks. My big disappointment turned into a big WOW. Hope it all workd out. I will let you know. Hopefully the tuilps will still be blooming. If not it will be a big disappointment but I imagine we will still have a good trip. Keep you posted.

The Viking web site has a countdown till christening on March 21 for the first two ships. They'll be showing videos and photos. Can't wait for some real feedback.:)
Well, the 21st has been and gone and still nothing up about this on the Viking home page. Why are we waiting, why are we waiting.....??

the home page. It isn't as good as I thought, but it is there.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but all I can see on Viking's site are the artist's impressions which have been on the site for quite a long time. Do you have a link to photos or videos of the new boats please?

Hard to tell but the rooms go from 135, 150, 205, 275 and 445 sq ft. According to the video the cabin used is 201 which is a 205 ft veranda cabin. Also from their book it looks like the bathrooms have double door showers. Guess will just have to wait and hear from Viking cruisers.

Thanks jacksonnh. Your avidcruiser link is great. That's what Viking should have been putting up!:)

My only worry now is the size of the French balcony rooms. I can't believe they are actually smaller than our cruise out of Paris. That window had better be worth it.

Archived