Pre-Cruise Hotel In NY--Doubletree/Hampton Inn or Marquis?

Have been working with the hubby forever it seems like....picky thing that he is(lol). Anyways, he would like to stay at a Hilton hotel preferably in Times Square to do the touristy thing. I have narrowed down some of his choices and all look good on the websites but wanted a second opinion. We are going on Carnival Glory 9/15 for Canada/New England cruise. We've never been to NY so as I've said in previous posts, feeling very overwhelmed.

Much different planning this vacation than a Florida or California one!

Anyways his choices were Doubletree by Hilton on 36th st (312), the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th ave (339), Hilton New York on ave of the Americas (349) or possibly the Hampton Inn Times Square North (271)/Times Square South (314). My one fave was the Marquis which I found for 382 a night but I'm definetly not holding my breath for that one.

We are planning on having the dial7 pick us up from the airport and the hotel.

They are all of similar quality. The New York Hilton gets a lot more business travelers than tourists and the location on 6th ave (don't say ave of the americas while in the city unless you want to be immediately marked as a tourist :) ) is a lot less hectic than 8th ave

I've stayed at the Hilton New York (6th Avenue) and the Marriott Marquis. The Hilton is very convenient to Central Park, but it's not a long walk to Times Square or Rockefeller Center as well. Definitely more business-oriented than tourist-oriented. The Marquis is impressive, but IMHO not $382 impressive. Instead, go there for a drink at The View. The View is a revolving restaurant/lounge at the top of the Marquis. The restaurant food is okay (it's better than the regular hotel restaurant food, but it's still Marriott food), but you can get your Marquis fix by having a cocktail in the lounge, enjoying the panorama of the city, then heading out to one of the many great restaurants in New York.

Stuck,

Just curious, did you try to get the Algonquin Hotel for $236? Did that not work out?

No I did not. The lowest rate I could get for the Algonquin was $382, I believe it was. Prices are dramatically higher that particular week, Fashion week and all.

I have gotten a price at one the Hiltons for $319. Which is the one I think we are going to go with. It is a bit closer to the things we want then the Doubletree although it's not the Marqui or the Algonquin.

I've stayed at the Hilton New York (6th Avenue) and the Marriott Marquis. The Hilton is very convenient to Central Park, but it's not a long walk to Times Square or Rockefeller Center as well. Definitely more business-oriented than tourist-oriented. The Marquis is impressive, but IMHO not $382 impressive. Instead, go there for a drink at The View. The View is a revolving restaurant/lounge at the top of the Marquis. The restaurant food is okay (it's better than the regular hotel restaurant food, but it's still Marriott food), but you can get your Marquis fix by having a cocktail in the lounge, enjoying the panorama of the city, then heading out to one of the many great restaurants in New York.

Kathy, thanks so much for the info. The room views we saw over looked Central Park, so pretty. And yes, I agree....looking at the map it did not seem too far from Times Square. We love to try the revolving restaurants in the cities we visit, so this info was especially fabulous! Thanks for the info. I think hubby will like that the Hilton is more business than touristy.

No I did not. The lowest rate I could get for the Algonquin was $382.

No, you can get it for $236 using Marriott's low price guarantee that is explained on your other threads.

1) Go to the marriott.com website, search for the Algonquin Hotel, and make a reservation at the "best available rate" (fully cancellable, not prepaid), currently $402 for 9/14. Be sure to book the standard rate, not the AAA, or senior discount or prepaid rate.

http://www.marriott.com/reservation/availability.mi?isSearch=true&propertyCode=NYCAK

2) Go the American airlines aa.com website and find the link to where the Algonquin hotel is available for $315 for 9/14 and bookmark that page.

https://hotelplanner.aavacations.com/travel/arc_process.cfm?hotelKey=app26862298600171

3) Use Marriotts "Look No Further Best Rate Guarantee" and follow the procedure:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/travel.mi

Since you originally booked the room for $402, they should honor the guarantee. In your case, they will change your rate to $315 - 25% = $236/night

It's the easiest thing in the world, we've already done all the research for you. Since this is just a reservation, you pay nothing upfront, you have nothing to lose. If you do any other option, you will be getting a worse hotel at a higher price.

You have the opportunity to get the 4* Algonquin, in the heart of Time Square for an unheard of price of $236. Why would you do anything else?

No, you can get it for $236 using Marriott's low price guarantee that is explained on your other threads.

1) Go to the marriott.com website, search for the Algonquin Hotel, and make a reservation at the "best available rate" (fully cancellable, not prepaid), currently $402 for 9/14. Be sure to book the standard rate, not the AAA, or senior discount or prepaid rate.

http://www.marriott.com/reservation/availability.mi?isSearch=true&propertyCode=NYCAK

2) Go the American airlines aa.com website and find the link to where the Algonquin hotel is available for $315 for 9/14 and bookmark that page.

https://hotelplanner.aavacations.com/travel/arc_process.cfm?hotelKey=app26862298600171

3) Use Marriotts "Look No Further Best Rate Guarantee" and follow the procedure:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices/travel.mi

Since you originally booked the room for $402, they should honor the guarantee. In your case, they will change your rate to $315 - 25% = $236/night

It's the easiest thing in the world, we've already done all the research for you. Since this is just a reservation, you pay nothing upfront, you have nothing to lose. If you do any other option, you will be getting a worse hotel at a higher price.

You have the opportunity to get the 4* Algonquin, in the heart of Time Square for an unheard of price of $236. Why would you do anything else?

Lou-

Not sure what hubby was doing before but I went home the very night I read this and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much! I must admit I was leary but I have learned so much from everyone on this sight! Thanks again...I have been in seventh heaven ever since. I am booking the dial 7 this evening!

Lou-

Not sure what hubby was doing before but I went home the very night I read this and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much! I must admit I was leary but I have learned so much from everyone on this sight! Thanks again...I have been in seventh heaven ever since. I am booking the dial 7 this evening!

I'm glad it worked out. Enjoy your trip. Maybe you can see a nice broadway show with the money that you are saving. There are many Broadway theaters that are just a 3 minute walk from your hotel. If you are not sure which show you would like to see, and you would like to get discounted tickets, you can try getting same day tickets at the TKTS booth.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Archived