Opinion on taxis

rkkunk

Like I said earlier, we used the hotel shuttle to the port and it was fine. When we disembarked we took a taxi to the airport. We had no problems. He took us straight to the airport and drove safely. The fare was $14 and some change. We got off of the ship at around 8:30.

Serious question here, not trying to be a pain. How is Uber "safer" than a taxi?

Sorry for coming into this late, but the digital record of which driver is assigned to you makes Uber much safer than the anonymous cab picking you up - unless you take a photo of the cab & driver and post them online while riding no one knows what cab you got into.

My travel for work is slowing down (thankfully), but I am generally very happy using Uber or Lyft where available - good service and less money and the cars are almost always nicer or equal to the cabs I see. That said, with one exception :mad:, I was generally happy with taxis I used in both FLL and Miami - maybe I am lucky. ;) I cannot say that about taxis in Philadelphia! :mad:

When taking a taxi from FLL hotels to Port Everglades, do you continue to watch the meter tick up as you wait in line to get into the port dropoff area? We will be sailing out on the Harmony of the Seas which will involve 6000 passengers so I expect some wait to get to the dropoff spot.

We try to get to the pier early - leave the hotel before 10 am. Traffic can still be slow, but alot better than an hour or two later.

Yes, we have to wait at the pier, but we would be waiting at the hotel anyway and this way we can check-in before the lines start forming plus we get to board the ship a bit earlier (lower number or seating area).

Just take some reading material with you, or be like me and interview your fellow passengers while you wait!

When taking a taxi from FLL hotels to Port Everglades, do you continue to watch the meter tick up as you wait in line to get into the port dropoff area? We will be sailing out on the Harmony of the Seas which will involve 6000 passengers so I expect some wait to get to the dropoff spot.

Yes, you do. There was some mess up with how traffic was being directed when we were leaving out of the port. Our driver was complaining up a storm about what they were doing wrong. We were stuck sitting there and literally watched the cab fare double before we were able to get to a place we could get out. I'll be using Uber from now on. Plus, my niece says the fare is inclusive of the tip. Anyone know if that is correct?

Edited by momof3cruisers

Plus, my niece says the fare is inclusive of the tip. Anyone know if that is correct?

Currently that is correct. There are proposals out there to allow customers to add a tip to Uber fares like you have the option to do with Lyft.

Where others with cars are picking up family and friends. The driver will contact you (phone call or text) to verify your exact location/door#.

Uber will give you the make of the car, color of the car, license of the car and a photo of the driver along with his name.

We're coming in on Delta relatively late. I think Delta uses Terminal 2.

Where does an Uber driver pick you up after you come out of the baggage pickup area?

As I understand it Uber must use commercial lanes and can only pick you at the commercial pickup area (same area as other transportation) - meaning to your right as you exit Terminal 2.