Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
5,000+ Club

You guys have been a great help in deciphering my London transit options. Many thanks. I have decided to go with the Oyster card. It seems like the best idea.

I do have what I think is the final question and also a suggestion for anyone who is reading this post.

Both my wife and I will be traveling in London. Do we have to get one Oyster card for each of us or can we share a card? The reason I ask is that when we buy a prepaid card for travel in the New York subways, we share a card. I am not sure if it is the same in London.

Now for my suggestion to anyone who is reading this exchange. I was planning to buy the 3 Three Palace Pass from the VisitBritain shop in the US for $56 each which would have saved me some money. Turns out that I can join the Historic Royal Palaces group (www.hrp.org.uk for 56 pounds for 2 people which is cheaper than the US cost. I get 5 palaces instead of 3, a 10% discount at shops and restaurants, a book, a subscription to a magazine, and some more goodies. This is a much better deal.

Again, thanks for the help.

DON

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

One Oyster card each.

Norwegian Jewel (28 Jul 2008 - 10 Aug 2008 - Baltic Capitals)
Norwegian Jade (24 May 2009 - 29 May 2009 - Ireland)
Norwegian Jade (30 May 2010 - 06 Jun 2010 - Western Med.)
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/member...?EntryID=70844
Crown Princess (29 Jul 2010 - 10 Aug 2010 - Iceland & Norway)
Norwegian Jade (30 Jul 2011 - 13 Aug 2011 - Eastern Med.)
Norwegian Jade (22 Dec 2012 - 02 Jan 2013 - Med. + Holy Land)
Independence of the Seas (29 Oct 2013 - 02 Nov 2013 - Europe)
Norwegian Spirit (26 Dec 2013 - 04 Jan 2014 - Canary Islands +)
Norwegian Getaway (14-15 Jan 2014 - Southampton CTN)
Norwegian Jade (12 Jul 2014 - 26 Jul 2014 - Grand Med. from Venice)
Norwegian Jade (23 Dec 2014 - 03 Jan 2015 - Med. from Rome)

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post

Now for my suggestion to anyone who is reading this exchange. I was planning to buy the 3 Three Palace Pass from the VisitBritain shop in the US for $56 each which would have saved me some money. Turns out that I can join the Historic Royal Palaces group (www.hrp.org.uk for 56 pounds for 2 people which is cheaper than the US cost. I get 5 palaces instead of 3, a 10% discount at shops and restaurants, a book, a subscription to a magazine, and some more goodies. This is a much better deal.

Again, thanks for the help.

DON
I see they also have a tax efficient US arm for the Royal Palaces Group, which is also good to know. You have done a great job researching your options and with the various passes you have, I think the Oyster is probably best for you

One of your 'extra' buildings is the Banqueting House, right on Whitehall in central London (near 'Big Ben' and Horseguards). Do pop in there to see the extraordinary Rubens ceiling - but be aware it often closes in the afternoon (it is used a lot for official and private functions).

Last edited by Cotswold Eagle; March 25th, 2013 at 07:20 PM.