Afternoon in London???

We are arriving pre-cruise at Heathrow at 12:00 pm on a Friday. We have transfers to our hotel, The Tower Guoman Hotel from the airport. After reading post after post, I am totally overwhelmed with information. What would be the most sensible sites to see in this very short time. I know we will be close to some, but are they within "walking distance" to our hotel? Also I have read about travel cards. Is this "The London Pass"? These are 10% off until January 12. If it would be beneficial, would save a dollar, I might would order this. Not informed enough to make an educated decision, but not enough time for me to fully research this before the 12th.. With our time restraints, not sure if the transportation part could even be used. Any advice for first time London travelers?

How long are you staying in London? We enjoyed taking the HOHO bus around London. We rode all the routes. The tickets were good for 24 hours period. They give you earphone (you keep) to listen to their talks about the different places.

Welcome to cruise critic, comancherose.

Easy answer first: You do not want the London Pass. The London Pass is overpriced and ill-suited to a visitor with only a few hours available. A one day travelcard for zones 1 & 2 will take care of your public transportation needs for arrival day.

As for sight-seeing, the obvious choice is the Tower of London. I am guessing you would arrive at your hotel about 2 PM. You could fit in a couple of hours at the Tower of London before 4:30 closing if you do not dawdle at your hotel.

After dinner you could try the Along the Thames Pub Walk: http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Fridays_Walks/default.aspx#12894 from London Walks: http://www.walks.com/Homepage/default.aspx . You will get a bit of history, great views from the south bank and an introduction to pubs and an opportunity to buy a few pints of real ale. £7 each, ask for senior discount if applicable.

The Tower of London and the Pub Walk are just suggestions. Almost anything else is possible, limited only by your interests, energy level, and time. Will you have time for anything on Saturday?

Thank you phabric and whogo for your reply. Unfortunatly we only have Friday afternoon for any sight-seeing. We leave somewhere around 10 - 11:00 for the ship on Saturday morning. I had wondered if we would have time to ride the HOHO bus. I would like to see as much as I can in this short time. Is this possible in an afternoon? Can we get on the HoHo near our hotel? I want to go to the Tower of London also, especiallly since it is so close, but would like to see more than just that if possible. May not be possible. But the pub walk sounds good. And thanks for the heads up on the London Pass. These boards are great to get information you need. With us being first time travelers to London, we don't have a clue as to how long it takes to get from here to there, what we will need, etc. We really appreciate your suggestions.

Your best bet to just see a few things are any of the two HoHo buses that travel around London. They are the Original London Sightseeing tour and the Big Bus sightseeing tour. If you buy a ticket for either, and they are just a matter of choice, you can ride the full loop in about 2 1/2 hours and see most of the major sights of London. You might even ahve a few minutes to get off at several, spend a few minutes walking around, getting a better view and then catching the next bus and moving on. To be honest, I really don't think you would have time to go into the Tower of London, pay that money, and not be able to see much. It's not as if you can do it in 1/2 an hour. You wouldn't even get a feel of it in that time. If you wanted to pick ONE thing, like the Tower of London and do that, that would be great, but I really doubt if you would have time to do anything else.

I would suggest the hoho bus tour. that way you get a glimpse of London, to whet your appetite to hopefully return.

I had wondered if we would have time to ride the HOHO bus. I would like to see as much as I can in this short time. Is this possible in an afternoon? Can we get on the HoHo near our hotel?
There is a stop close by. But all that the HOHO bus does is drive you past the outside of a number of buildings. As you are staying right next to the Tower, it's an ideal opportunity to do some real sightseeing.

You can also go to the Tower Bridge Exhibition, which you are also right next door to.

We are arriving pre-cruise at Heathrow at 12:00 pm on a Friday. We have transfers to our hotel, The Tower Guoman Hotel from the airport. After reading post after post, I am totally overwhelmed with information. What would be the most sensible sites to see in this very short time. I know we will be close to some, but are they within "walking distance" to our hotel? Also I have read about travel cards. Is this "The London Pass"? These are 10% off until January 12. If it would be beneficial, would save a dollar, I might would order this. Not informed enough to make an educated decision, but not enough time for me to fully research this before the 12th.. With our time restraints, not sure if the transportation part could even be used. Any advice for first time London travelers?

London is a great and diverse city!!! That's the good news. You can't do that much in only part of an afternoon and evening, especially if you are arriving at Heathrow after a long flight with your body clock needing adjustment, the time getting through the airport and checked-in to your hotel, etc. Tell us more on your budget and personal interests, where you are from??? What do you most want to see and sample in London? If you are more flexible on your budget, you could have a listing of sights and sites to see and have a cab driver "tour" you around to see these highlights. I would get a good visual book (maybe from your library) such as Eyewitness to better consider your options. Their books have a nice mix of visuals, text, building cut-away diagrams, etc. You can't do it "ALL" in such a short time period, but you can still get a good sampling in a few areas. Below are a few visuals previews for what you can experience in London. It's an exciting, interesting place to visit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From the London "Eye" wheel, it offers great views of the key sights and sites:

LondonEyeView.jpg

The new Churchill Museum and underground War Rooms offer interesting history:

ChurchillMus2.jpg

People shopping at Portobello Road Market:

PortobelloRdMk.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

At Sloane Square, people dining and the double-decker bus:

SloaneSqDining.jpg

Covent Garden Market and its activities:

CoventGarden.jpg

You have chosen one of the best hotels for sight seeing and one of the easiest areas to access. Many, many sights are on your doorstep and only a few minutes walk away. You will be right on the spot to see and visit Tower Bridge and St. Katharine's Dock - both extremely interesting. Katharine's Dock is well worth a visit and is literally outside the door of the hotel. There are some lovely shops and restaurants. You can also walk across Tower Bridge to the south of the river and explore the opposite side. The Tower of London is also only a few minutes away so that is a possibility too but will take up most of your afternoon!

The brasserie in the hotel offers lovely meals or if you would like a traditional British and very comfortable pub experience then a pub called The Town of Ramsgate is a short walk away down Wapping High Street and offers tasty food.

This is an area we know extremely well so feel free to ask any more questions. You have made an excellent choice and I believe it won't be necessary to do a HOHO bus trip unless of course you wish to, as there is enough on your doorstep to keep you busy. If you wish to do a real London bus journey then you could take the Number 15 bus from outside the Tower of London to St. Pauls (only a few minutes) and then back again - very easy!

Hi Morgans,

We are currently booked at the Park Plaza County Hall on Addington Street. Are you able to tell me if you feel that this is also an ideal location? When I orginally booked this room I was having trouble locating a hotel that could accomodate the three of us. I just got off the Tower Gouman Hotel web-site and found that they can accomodate three. We will have an afternoon plus two full days before we head to Southampton. We would prefer to be able to walk or short ride to sites. We just purchased a London tour book but I am really having trouble getting my bearings. Thanks in advance!

Cheryl

P.S. Thanks TLCOhio for the pics. I saved the London Eye pic as my screen saver when you posted it a couple weeks ago. My co-workers have all commented what an awesome picture it is!

Hi there,

This hotel (Park plaza) should be fine - very convenient for the London Eye, Aquarium, and Westminster etc.It's very central so I wouldn't necessarily change it if you are already booked. It has a very good reputation. The Tower Guoman is also excellent and is equally well placed for sights, although is further to the east of the city. Sights around it are very close to hand and easily walkable and there are some recommended restaurants nearby. If you are happy with the price you have paid for the Plaza then stick with it but if the Tower is coming out as a lot cheaper then it may be worth considering changing.

From Cheryl: Thanks TLCOhio for the pics. I saved the London Eye pic as my screen saver when you posted it a couple weeks ago. My co-workers have all commented what an awesome picture it is!

THANKS, Cheryl, for the nice comment! Just be to be fair to the beautiful countryside and history outside of London, here are a few more pictures if you get tired of that one London shop on your screen. The first picture is also proof that there can sunshine and beautiful blue skies in England. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Southern England’s Bodiam Castle before departing from Dover:

1A-Eng-CastleMoatWater.jpg

At the Great Dixter House & Garden, looking out the leaded-glass window:

1A-Eng-LeadedWindow.jpg

Harrods Exterior view:

HarrodsExt.jpg

Chartwell’s gardens and another view of Churhill's country house, part of which dates to 1600’s:

ChartwellGardens.jpg

Hi there,

This hotel (Park plaza) should be fine - very convenient for the London Eye, Aquarium, and Westminster etc.It's very central so I wouldn't necessarily change it if you are already booked. It has a very good reputation. The Tower Guoman is also excellent and is equally well placed for sights, although is further to the east of the city. Sights around it are very close to hand and easily walkable and there are some recommended restaurants nearby. If you are happy with the price you have paid for the Plaza then stick with it but if the Tower is coming out as a lot cheaper then it may be worth considering changing.

Thanks for the "thumbs up" on Park Plaza. Quickly pricing, the Guoman is about 50GBS higher than what we got the Park Plaza for. I may check out our Auto Club pricing too, that way I can make an educated decision. I am overwhelmed by London, and all the books and online research mention Tube Stations which makes it sound like you must Tube to get anywhere. This is our first time abroad and I am overwhelmed!

Thanks Again!

The pictures are awesome! When I get to work tomorrow I am going to capture a new background and then maybe another later in the week. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to post photos and these are making me excited for our trip!

The pictures are awesome! When I get to work tomorrow I am going to capture a new background and then maybe another later in the week. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to post photos and these are making me excited for our trip!

THANKS, ellbelle! Enjoy your upcoming trip! Lots to get excited about with such travels in interesting places. Terry in Ohio

Thanks for the "thumbs up" on Park Plaza. Quickly pricing, the Guoman is about 50GBS higher than what we got the Park Plaza for. I may check out our Auto Club pricing too, that way I can make an educated decision. I am overwhelmed by London, and all the books and online research mention Tube Stations which makes it sound like you must Tube to get anywhere. This is our first time abroad and I am overwhelmed!

Thanks Again!

I actually prefer the Bus to the Tube unless I am going a fairly long distance. With the Bus, you see much more and the routes, especially 9 and 15 cover most of the major tourist areas. Here's a map of the major routes and sights to see. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/central_bus_map.pdf

With the Bus, you see much more and the routes, especially 9 and 15 cover most of the major tourist areas.
Also, these are the routes on part of which Routemasters (the "traditional" London bus) still run during the day alongside conventional modern buses: 9 between the Royal Albert Hall and Aldwych, and 15 between Tower Hill and Trafalgar Square.

Thank you all for all the suggestions and the outstanding pictures (I'm a Terry, TLC also but in South Carolina) you have given. Although brief, this trip will at least get us to London. We are already planning a trip for next year where we will definately have much more time. These boards will again will help us plan that trip also. On that note, is there an area more favorably located which would be easier to get to everything?

I wouldn't change to another area as you only have an afternoon for sightseeing and there are many attractions which are on the doorstep of the Tower hotel - perfect. The hotel also has some of the best views in London from its rooms - the views are truly stunning. The area and the hotel should provide an ideal introduction to London for you.

I actually prefer the Bus to the Tube unless I am going a fairly long distance. With the Bus, you see much more and the routes, especially 9 and 15 cover most of the major tourist areas. Here's a map of the major routes and sights to see. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/central_bus_map.pdf

What a great map, thank you! Looks very simple to navigate the system and I will definately bring a printed copy with us!

Cheryl

Add me to those recommending the HOHO bus. You're going to be tired from your overnight trip, and the HOHO bus (or busses) will give at least give you an overview of London.

If you have additional time just walk from Trafalgar Square down to Parliament and maybe across the bridge there or along the river. I don't know where your hotel is, but London taxis are a good way to get around, and some of the drivers are quite willing to share stories of the city.

Don't know where you are in South Carolina, but those of us in the mountains of North Carolina are ready for Spring!

What a great map, thank you! Looks very simple to navigate the system and I will definately bring a printed copy with us!

Cheryl

They are also available in most Tube Stations as well as other maps and freebies.

If you plan on using the Bus, be aware you need an Oyster Card as the buses in Central London do not take cash.

Cheers

I will be arriving on June 17-20. Haven't decided on a hotel yet. Don't know if I should purchase a London Pass for 2 days with travel or not. Most of the sights I want to see are on the pass and the idea of not having to wait in line or figure how much a ticket is for travel is quite appealing. We arrive on 6/17 and I thought about taking a walking tour in the evening. I would use the London Pass for 6/18 and 6/19. On 6/20 I plan to head to Dover and spend the day/night before beginning cruise the next day.

Do you still suggest taking a HOHO bus? There are so many options. I just want to get the most out of my visit and try to be as economical as possible.

Thank you for your help and suggestions; they are most appreciated.

To the OP: where did you see that you can get the London Pass for 10% off? All I find is free shipping till the end of January.

I will be arriving on June 17-20. Haven't decided on a hotel yet. Don't know if I should purchase a London Pass for 2 days with travel or not. Most of the sights I want to see are on the pass and the idea of not having to wait in line or figure how much a ticket is for travel is quite appealing. We arrive on 6/17 and I thought about taking a walking tour in the evening. I would use the London Pass for 6/18 and 6/19. On 6/20 I plan to head to Dover and spend the day/night before beginning cruise the next day.

Do you still suggest taking a HOHO bus? There are so many options. I just want to get the most out of my visit and try to be as economical as possible.

Thank you for your help and suggestions; they are most appreciated.

To the OP: where did you see that you can get the London Pass for 10% off? All I find is free shipping till the end of January.

The London Pass is 10% off with free standard shipping at http://www.visitlondon.com/ .

The discounted 2 day pass is £48.60 without travel.

The discounted 2 day pass is £62.60 with travel.

What attractions will you visit in 2 days that have admission fees that add up to £48.60? To help you with the math, here is a fairly up to date list of regular adult admission prices to attractions covered by the London Pass.

21.95 London Bridge Experience

19.00 London Bicycle Tour Company

18.50 London Zoo

17.00 Tower of London

15.00 British Music Experience

15.00 Chelsea FC Stadium Tour

14.80 Windsor Castle

14.50 Wimbledon Tour Experience

14.00 Hampton Court Palace

14.00 Lord's Tour

14.00 Twickenham World Rugby Museum & Stadium Tour

13.00 Kew Gardens

12.95 Churchill Museum & Cabinet War Rooms

12.50 Kensington Palace & The Orangery

11.50 City Cruises Day Pass

11.45 Winston Churchill's Britain at War

10.70 HMS Belfast

10.50 Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Tour & Exhibition

10.00 Curzon Mayfair Cinema

10.00 Curzon Soho Cinema (before 5 exc.Su-Th)

10.00 London Motor Museum

10.00 London Transport Museum

10.00 QUEENS Ice & Bowl

10.00 St Paul’s Cathedral

10.00 Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum

9.50 London Wetland Centre

9.00 Chelsea Cinema

9.00 Renoir Cinema

8.50 Queen’s Gallery

8.30 Eltham Palace

8.00 Royal Albert Hall Tours

7.50 Jason’s Canal Boat Trip

7.50 Royal Mews

7.00 Benjamin Franklin House

7.00 Chelsea Physic Garden

7.00 London Legends Walking Tour

7.00 Tower Bridge Exhibition

6.00 Household Cavalry Museum

5.90 National Theatre Backstage Tours (reserv. rec.)

5.80 Museum of Brands, Packaging & Advertising

5.70 Apsley House

5.70 Ranger's House - The Wernher Collection

5.50 Cartoon Museum

5.00 Chislehurst Caves

5.00 Courtauld Institute of Art Gallery

5.00 Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art

5.00 Eton College

5.00 Firepower Royal Artillery Museum

5.00 Foundling Museum

5.00 Handel House Museum

4.50 Banqueting House

4.00 Fan Museum

3.50 Wellington Arch

3.00 Guards Museum

3.00 Jewel Tower

3.00 London Canal Museum

3.00 Monument

3.00 Pollocks Toy Museum

ILoveScotland, I am almost to the NC line above Greenville. I too am ready for warmer weather. I am still interested in the HOHO bus. I think I would rather sit and see a little of a lot of different things than pick one thing and see it all. But I am concerned if we will have enough time to make a complete circle and get back to where we started before the buses stop. Just depends I guess on what time we get checked in to the hotel. I had also wondered if it is possible to do any sightseeing in the evening. Such as the London Eye. Do any buses run in this area at night? If so is it safe and easy to get around? I am still researching the transportation but it looks like we could go from London Bridge station to Waterloo. Is this possible? Any other suggestions? I know we will be exausted but can rest on the sea days during the cruise.

Archived