Flying out of Ft Lauderdale but cruising out of Miami in August

beckymomof2

I'm looking for a hotel for the night after the cruise. We will debark off of the Liberty in Miami but fly out of Ft. Lauderdale the next morning. I think it would be best if we caught a cab to Ft. Lauderdale and stayed in a hotel there with a shuttle to the airport.

Or should we stay in Miami and take a cab the following day to Ft. Lauderdale.

I’m not looking for a luxurious hotel because we will have already had our vacation fun but I would like the price to be reasonable. Also in the past I’ve made the mistake of finding a hotel with hookers on the grounds, so I’m also trying to avoid that.

Any suggestions on a decent hotel and should we stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

After our cruise this past March and in November, 2010 we stayed at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood. Loved this hotel. Got a great rate off of Hotwire both times!! After our stay, it was only a $25.00 cab ride to the airport in FLL. We booked SAS Transportation to get us from the POM to the Westin in March. $15.00 per person (plus tip). A taxi ride in November, 2010 from the POM to the Westin was $80.00 and we were taken for a ride literally!!:eek: Beware of that!

After our cruise this past March and in November, 2010 we stayed at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood. Loved this hotel. Got a great rate off of Hotwire both times!! After our stay, it was only a $25.00 cab ride to the airport in FLL. We booked SAS Transportation to get us from the POM to the Westin in March. $15.00 per person (plus tip). A taxi ride in November, 2010 from the POM to the Westin was $80.00 and we were taken for a ride literally!!:eek: Beware of that!

I just looked that up and it is $259 best rate. Do you mind if I ask what you paid through hotwire and if you know what district area you listed to get it?

August is a great month to get low rates. SE 17th is very popular because there are lots of restaurants and a cab to the airport is no more than $15. Hyatt Place north in that area has free airport shuttle and the best rates for there are on valuetrips. Transport to the beach and Galleria Mall from that area is very inexpensive on one direct bus or Suntrolley. Sleep Inn in Dania has free shuttle, a couple of restaurants next door and is only a mile from the beach. There are lots of hotels off Stirling Rd that have free shuttles, including Hampton Inn FLL south and Hyatt Place south. There is a big shopping center with chain restaurants across the street. All of the hotels I have mentioned also include breakfast and are away from prostitutes. (Avoid US 1 in Hollywood and Broward Blvd in Fort Lauderdale). There are prostitutes near Crowne Plaza in Fort Lauderdale but I would not expect to find them in that hotel. Some of the inexpensive hotels on SR84 could be an issue.

I just looked that up and it is $259 best rate. Do you mind if I ask what you paid through hotwire and if you know what district area you listed to get it?

Look under Hollywood. Four star hotel. The list of amenities will include "Resort, Spa and Near Golf course". Also says 95% viewer recommended!! You could end up with the golf location as opposed to the beach location, but I would bet that you would get the beach location. Let me know a specific date and I will help you out further! A mock booking for August 18 shows it in the $80.00 price range right now!!

Look under Hollywood. Four star hotel. The list of amenities will include "Resort, Spa and Near Golf course". Also says 95% viewer recommended!! You could end up with the golf location as opposed to the beach location, but I would bet that you would get the beach location. Let me know a specific date and I will help you out further! A mock booking for August 18 shows it in the $80.00 price range right now!!

Ok one more question if you are still following this thread. I looked it up and I'm coming up with $86 on August 19 for either the Hollywood Beach area hotel and $86 for the Fort Lauderdale Beach area hotel. They are both four star. I think the one you are talking about is the one that specifically says Hollywood. How far is it from the FLL airport?

I guess probably either of these hotels would be nice since they are both rated as resort and both 4 star as well.

I'm not sure about the Westin in Fort Lauderdale. But the 4 star showing up under Hollywood is definitely the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. It will say "95% viewer approved". It is approximately a 20 minute cab ride from the hotel to the airport. Don't know your ages, but we are 50 and loved this place. While the Westin can be a bit more expensive to eat at, as long as you are able to walk 30 minutes or so there are nice options as to places to eat at outside of the hotel. We had a simple breakfast at the cafe in the restaurant in the a.m. which had coffees, teas, bagels, muffins, yogurts, cold cerals, etc. We ate at the restaurant near the pool for a quick lunch and in 2010 ate at the Sports Restaurant across the street, which is associated with the hotel. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially at the rate of $86.00 plus taxes.

I'm not sure about the Westin in Fort Lauderdale. But the 4 star showing up under Hollywood is definitely the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. It will say "95% viewer approved". It is approximately a 20 minute cab ride from the hotel to the airport. Don't know your ages, but we are 50 and loved this place. While the Westin can be a bit more expensive to eat at, as long as you are able to walk 30 minutes or so there are nice options as to places to eat at outside of the hotel. We had a simple breakfast at the cafe in the restaurant in the a.m. which had coffees, teas, bagels, muffins, yogurts, cold cerals, etc. We ate at the restaurant near the pool for a quick lunch and in 2010 ate at the Sports Restaurant across the street, which is associated with the hotel. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially at the rate of $86.00 plus taxes.

So I got the hotel booked and now I'm wondering if I looked at it too long and accidentally picked the wrong one. We got the Westin but I don't think it is titled "Diplomat" but it is a resort and spa. Either way it is nice enough and will be fine. Thanks for all your help.

What address does your confirmation state? The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa is located on Ocean Drive in Hollywood.

I messed up. The address is 321 N. Ft. Lauderdale Beach Blvd. (Route A1A). It's okay though. It is the day after the cruise so I think we will be exhausted and only eat and sleep to catch the plane early the next day.

Don't take a taxi from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale. The taxi fare will be quite expensive. To the Ft. Lauderdale beach area the taxi fare will be in the $80-$90 range. There are less expensive options to get from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale.

How did you mess up. On Hotwire, the 4 star in Hollywood, which has a 95% approval rating has always been known to be the Westin. Are you staying at the Westin in Fort Lauderdale?

The OP is staying at the Westin on Fort Lauderdale beach. She selected the wrong area. At least she got the beach area, and it is very close to the FLL airport (about $20-25 taxi). Although it can't compare to the Westin Diplomat, it is a nice hotel and it's an easy walk to lots of places. It has a full service Starbucks too! I hope that the OP will spend some time enjoying the neighborhood instead of just looking at the hotel as a place to sleep before flying out, because you will have an entire day to enjoy!

Archived