Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old August 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Marmaris, Turkey

We will stop at this port on an October cruise. Does anyone have experience with this port?

Old August 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have been there some 17 years ago. Took a ferry over from Rhodes and stayed just long enough to catch a bus to Kusadasi. Hear it is quaint and pretty.

What ship stops there? We did a cruise 4 years ago in Greece and Turkey and stopped in Fethiye, which was our favorite port, then to Bodrum, onto Kusadasi and up to Istanbul. We have been to Turkey many times and have always had a great time. The people are very friendly, if you can dodge the carpet salesmen, and the food is delicious.

Old August 13th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be on the Silversea, in October. I originally thought this one Turkey port was Kusadasi, but either I was mistaken or they have changed it. The excursion choices are gullet tours (may be rough water), or Dalyan and Caunus. Should we just stay in town at Marmaris?

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Love it, love it, love it

I spent 4 days there in 2002 (Aqua Hotel, I believe?) and absolutely loved it! Great shopping but the vendors are very VERY pushy, so you must be firm if really not interested. The other folks were extremely friendly people. Loads of natural beauty, but the city itself does appear a bit run down. I HIGHLY recommend a Turkish bath. Keep your suit on if you, like me, are on the modest side. I have never been as relaxed as I was after a 2 hour treatment! Steamed, loofahed, exfoliated, sponged, massaged, oiled... aaaaahhhhhh

Try the apple tea (Chai?), either warm or cold. It tastes like an apple Jolly Rancher candy. Coffee is delish, as are the tomatoes. Don't know what they do to them, but they are fantastic! I hope you enjoy Marmaris as much as I did!
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) 2000
~~Fair Winds and Following Seas~~

Old August 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Think it's too far to run up to Kusadasi for the day, and would probably stay off the Gullet ship, although they are beautiful, but if you've been on the ship, you might want to go sailing.

Do the Turkish Bath thing. I have been in them all over Turkey and you won't get the experience anywhere else. They are very accommodating to tourists. They literally scrub the dirt off of you and you feel so relaxed when they are finished.