Cruise around Spain-questions and reviews help

NOLAGAL2511

several of us booked on Silver Spirit on cruise around ports of Spain over to Lisbon and back to Barcelona-we can't seem to find reviews on this cruise and looking for help with reviews on the excursions at the ports-we've heard that you can book other companies for excursions at far less expensive rates, but not sure whether that's a good idea or what companies those are. also would love reviews of restaurants on the ship. Are dinner reservations required each night? or just if you prefer a specific time? do they really have "formal" night? I read somewhere that Mediterranean cruises didn't have those-sorry for all the questions-clearly a first time cruiser!!

The first thing you should do is ask many of these questions of the TA you used to book the cruise. Hopefully, you used an experienced luxury cruise TA who has all the knowledge to provide you with answers. If not the first question you should ask yourself is why not?

Next, I would go on to the roll call board and see if there is a thread for your particular cruise. Your fellow passengers can provide you with lots of help since you will all be in the same boat, so to speak.

As for excursions I personally am a big fan of private excursions as opposed to ships' tours. Why would I want to sit on a bus with forty other people when I can have my own car and driver and set my own agenda? And if you share with another couple (which you might be able to find on the roll call thread) it can wind up far cheaper than ships' tours.

There will be a formal night but formal today means something very different from ten years ago, A tie and jacket is more than enough and there are usually venues where even that is not required.

...we've heard that you can book other companies for excursions at far less expensive rates...

I wouldn't say "far less expensive." I live in San Diego, so I recently checked on the standard "excursions" we have here in SD - Seal Tour, Old Town Trolly Tour, etc, to see how less expensive it would be compared to what Silversea would charge for the same tour. It turns out that the Seal Tour is $42 each if you book it yourself, and $59 if you book it through a cruise line. But, if you book with the cruise line, then the amphibious vehicle will pick you up and drop you off right at the cruise ship, whereas if you booked it yourself you'd have to make your way to Seaport Village to start the tour and then to make your way back to the ship afterwords.

I also priced a few pricier helicopter and float-plane excursions in Alaska. It looks like there, you can save about $100 on a $500 excursion. But still, that doesn't seem like saving enough money to me to make up for the fact that if you book through the ship, it is very difficult to go wrong - if you come back late, the ship waits, all transfers are handled, etc.

Personally, I think external excursions are for ports that you're already familiar with. For instance, I could easily set up private excursions in San Diego.

As far as get a private car instead? I did that in Hakodate and it was great, but without question it is the far most expensive excursion you can take. Whereas your 8-hour bus-tour costs $250, the private car cost me $1,300. Even shared with another couple, that's a lot of money, so if you're looking for "far less expensive," private cars are right out.

Are dinner reservations required each night? or just if you prefer a specific time? do they really have "formal" night? I read somewhere that Mediterranean cruises didn't have those...

Dinner reservations are never required in The Restaurant. Have you discovered my.silverseas.com yet?

Yes, there are formal nights. Here are the times when formal nights are optional: SEVEN NIGHT CRUISES IN THE MED, ALASKA AND THE BALTIC. Does your cruise meet these criteria?

Formal night is never required in The Grill and La Terraza, so if you cannot dress up, get yourself to my.silversea.com and make reservations in The Grill or LT on the formal nights. Oh, you can also have dinner served in your suite on formal nights. You can do that in your pajamas, if you wish.

I wouldn't say "far less expensive." I live in San Diego, so I recently checked on the standard "excursions" we have here in SD - Seal Tour, Old Town Trolly Tour, etc, to see how less expensive it would be compared to what Silversea would charge for the same tour. It turns out that the Seal Tour is $42 each if you book it yourself, and $59 if you book it through a cruise line. But, if you book with the cruise line, then the amphibious vehicle will pick you up and drop you off right at the cruise ship, whereas if you booked it yourself you'd have to make your way to Seaport Village to start the tour and then to make your way back to the ship afterwords.

I also priced a few pricier helicopter and float-plane excursions in Alaska. It looks like there, you can save about $100 on a $500 excursion. But still, that doesn't seem like saving enough money to me to make up for the fact that if you book through the ship, it is very difficult to go wrong - if you come back late, the ship waits, all transfers are handled, etc.

Personally, I think external excursions are for ports that you're already familiar with. For instance, I could easily set up private excursions in San Diego.

As far as get a private car instead? I did that in Hakodate and it was great, but without question it is the far most expensive excursion you can take. Whereas your 8-hour bus-tour costs $250, the private car cost me $1,300. Even shared with another couple, that's a lot of money, so if you're looking for "far less expensive," private cars are right out.

Dinner reservations are never required in The Restaurant. Have you discovered my.silverseas.com yet?

Yes, there are formal nights. Here are the times when formal nights are optional: SEVEN NIGHT CRUISES IN THE MED, ALASKA AND THE BALTIC. Does your cruise meet these criteria?

Formal night is never required in The Grill and La Terraza, so if you cannot dress up, get yourself to my.silversea.com and make reservations in The Grill or LT on the formal nights. Oh, you can also have dinner served in your suite on formal nights. You can do that in your pajamas, if you wish.

I called the concierge at Silversea and got this info-which is spot on! We are waitlisted for Le Champagne one or two nights (not formal nights)and are told that our butler should be able to get us a reservation-we didn't realize, unfortunately, how quickly things would book up. Any experience with the butler being able to assist with getting us at least one night at Le Champagne??

Any experience with the butler being able to assist with getting us at least one night at Le Champagne??

The trick there is to talk to the maitre'd the instant you get on the ship. There are only ~10 tables in Le Champagne and they only book about half of them prior to embarkation. So there will be tables available. So you can ask your butler to angle for the night you'd like, or just talk to the maitre'd.

Mallorca, Cartagena, Malaga, Cadiz, Portimoa, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Valencia

NOLAGAL, I would advise you to research these ports in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. There is very helpful information as CC members answer specific questions about the ports. In Trip Advisor travel forum for each city you can also find out the highlights not to be missed for each port. I have been to all but Mallorca, and have enjoyed them, mostly on my own...I speak Spanish and it helps... My least favorite is Gibraltar, where I took a tour of the Rock and St. Michael's cave. I saw the monkeys. However, many people like this port. I am sure you will have a great cruise!

In Mallorca, assume you're docking at Palma. Take the ship shuttle or a cab, which will leave you near the cathedral (a very recognizable landmark). You can easily tour Palma on your own; the cathedral is spectacular, and the royal residence across the plaza is very interesting. Lots of nice shopping too.

In Gibraltar, again take shuttle or cab into town and walk around on your own to the tram - takes you to the top of the rock with monkeys etc.

Valencia has a nice HOHO bus, which will take you to the old town as well as past the modern aquarium etc. Easily doable on your own.

ln Lisbon, you will either dock near the Jeronimos Monastery (lovely sight) or at the foot of old town. There are two HOHO bus lines in Lisbon, but the traffic can be so horrendous they're not really enjoyable. There are also tours you can easily book on Trip Advisor to Queluz and Pena Palaces outside Lisbon (I took a Viator tour). But if you've never been to Lisbon, Jeronimos and the old town are more interesting and easily done on your own.

... My least favorite is Gibraltar, where I took a tour of the Rock and St. Michael's cave. I saw the monkeys. However, many people like this port. I am sure you will have a great cruise!

I had to laugh Camillus... at my house a stop in Gibralter is known as a "sea/spa" day. :cool:

I had to laugh Camillus... at my house a stop in Gibralter is known as a "sea/spa" day. :cool:

Although I think taking a tour is overrated, maybe staying in town and taking advantage of sales is not. Some people (Brits, mostly) did just that and were happy. However I agree with you, a sea day is my preference.

Camillus 112,

I live in Manlius and bicycle sometimes on Tuesday nights in Camillus (with the Onondaga Cycling club). This past Tuesday I was almost out of gas when I arrived at the Costco gas station (15 cents/gallon less than in Manlius)

Manlius, the Land of Stickley! We became converts when we moved, did not miss a sale, and have some treasured pieces. If first time in Barcelona, you will be awed. These boards are so helpful, feel free to shoot questions.