The Omnipresent Dress Code Thread

abefroman329

Hopefully I won't start a flame war, and I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but here goes...

If at all possible, my wife and I would like to take one or two evenings off from dressing up, but also don't want to be confined to the buffet and our stateroom if we do. Cunard's website says the following:

"All Cunard ships have a dress code on board in order to create an ambience throughout the ship and set the tone for the evening.

During the day, you’ll probably find yourself most comfortable in stylish casual wear, including shorts and smart jeans and during the evening one of two dress codes will apply, formal and informal.

The dress code changes each evening and applies in the main areas of the ship after 6.00pm. You will be notified of the evening’s dress code in your Daily Programme and you can also find out how many of each dress code you can expect on your Voyage Personaliser.

If you wish to dress more casually, you are welcome to dine in the buffet restaurants and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden, Garden Lounge, Yacht Club, G32 or on the open decks."

but then goes on to say:

"Please note that after 6:00pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.

On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido restaurants and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden, Garden Lounge, Yacht Club, G32 or on the open decks. Please do not use other areas within the ship, including The Verandah restaurant, out of respect for our fellow guests."

Does the dress code apply in the Golden Lion Pub and Illuminations?

And more broadly, assuming I'm not clad in shorts, denim, sandals, and/or a tank top, where CAN I go and what CAN I do after 6 pm?

The dress code does apply to the Golden Lion I'm afraid, and according to the blurb to Illuminations too.

You may dine in the buffet, and then either sit in the Carinthia Lounge on QM2, or the Winter Garden/Garden Lounge on QE/QV. The Yacht Club on QE/QV and G32 on QM2 are the night club type venues. Or of course out on deck should the weather be suitable.

Not complying with the dress code really does restrict you a lot. Can you not bear to dress in a suit and your wife in a smart outfit - it doesn't have to be a long dress - and then the whole of the lovely ship, whichever one it s, with all the various entertainment, is available to you.

Not complying with the dress code really does restrict you a lot. Can you not bear to dress in a suit and your wife in a smart outfit - it doesn't have to be a long dress - and then the whole of the lovely ship, whichever one it s, with all the various entertainment, is available to you.

I don't mind, especially now that I've worked out in an Excel spreadsheet that I can get away with bringing two suits and three dress shirts without having to pay an arm and a leg for dry cleaning. My wife seems fairly convinced that she's going to need to bring 7 different outfits for dinner, though, and is loath to do that.

I don't mind, especially now that I've worked out in an Excel spreadsheet that I can get away with bringing two suits and three dress shirts without having to pay an arm and a leg for dry cleaning. My wife seems fairly convinced that she's going to need to bring 7 different outfits for dinner, though, and is loath to do that.

We're taking our first Cunard cruise in October and are looking forward to dressing nicely each night. Some ships have gotten very lax in enforcing any type of dress code and people look like they are at the beach even at dinner. Wouldn't dress that casually to go the diner! But to each his own. Need to know what you are comfortable with and then plan on a vacation that works for you.

No she doesn't need to. Accessorising with wraps/scarves/jewellery etc can make the same dress look entirely different. A couple of dresses and a skirt or evening trousers with a few different tops would do just as well.

No she doesn't need to. Accessorising with wraps/scarves/jewellery etc can make the same dress look entirely different. A couple of dresses and a skirt or evening trousers with a few different tops would do just as well.

Well, you know that and I know that...

I'm very good at giving advice, unfortunately I seem unable to practise what I preach!

I take a different outfit for each night - and then a few more so I have a choice!

:o:o:o

And I would do that if we were doing a back-to-back or flying home immediately after the cruise, trust me. But we're spending a week in England before flying home and I doubt we'll use our dinner wear while we're there.

Hello AbeFroman329!

First of all, best alter ego name ever, with an excellent nod to FBDO. Thumbs up!

Now on to the topic: I bet your wife and I are very similar beings. I, too, have agonized over fitting the appropriate attire into a portable bag. In fact, I do not even own anything larger than a carry-on. However, please do not think I am a frumpy old lady. For instance, our neighborhood holds a weekly meeting and I never have worn the same outfit twice. I dress up to buy groceries. Truly, it all boils down to not wanting to let anyone down by not appearing up to the task at hand; plus, I never want anyone to worry about me. I believe your wife may feel the same way?

On Thursday, I fly to NY, then board the QM2 TA on Friday, 7/28. All my neighbors have offered their giant suitcases; yet I am traveling solo this time and I have to make my way to Brooklyn and then to a friend's home outside London. I do not want to be burdened by unwieldy valises.

Tonight I rolled 7 formals/cocktail dresses into tight tube-like configurations, securing them with many rubber bands. Then I found 7 outfits to wear during the day and rolled them as well. Some of these outfits required tank tops under them and scarves, etc. All in all, I can mix them &, if something becomes irreversibly stained, create at least 12 ensembles. Throwing caution to the wind, I also rolled two swimsuits and added them to the mix. IT ALL FIT! I still have room for at least 4 pairs of shoes and make up and a curling iron! As long as your wife thinks of this packing job as a game of Tetris, she can do it.

When traveling solo, I normally take a pretty flat purse, which I place inside my allowed-inside-the-plane-cabin "personal item", which resembles a small, pliable, gym-like bag. Often my make up ends up in here, too, after shoes take over the carry-on suitcase; but that makes everything easy to reach spur of the moment in the smaller bag. This way I never have to check any of my luggage.

Please tell your wife not to worry. I'm just going with cocktail dresses each night, since no ball gowns understandably would fit (well, I actually added one long black dress, just in case). She can wash everything casual before disembarkation and now she possesses all the clothing she will need for the rest of your adventure.

Have a great time!

Sphynxie

Exactly what my wife practises to good effect Cruiseluvva.

Keeping, of course, with the Cunard ambiance. :evilsmile:

I'm very good at giving advice, unfortunately I seem unable to practise what I preach!

I take a different outfit for each night - and then a few more so I have a choice!

:o:o:o

Well done Sir.

And didn't I say exactly the same two days ago for trans Atlantic crossings.

On formal nights the only items of clothing that get worn more than once are the cummerbund, patent shoes and bow tie.

And I would do that if we were doing a back-to-back or flying home immediately after the cruise, trust me. But we're spending a week in England before flying home and I doubt we'll use our dinner wear while we're there.

Good morning Abe.

In December just gone we did a westbound crossing followed by 5 days in New York, which included over Christmas, and we managed perfectly well.

We even loaded additional 'seasonal' accessories to enter into the spirit of the occasion...

30940110683_06f68e0d02_z.jpg

Hello AbeFroman329!

First of all, best alter ego name ever, with an excellent nod to FBDO. Thumbs up!

Now on to the topic: I bet your wife and I are very similar beings. I, too, have agonized over fitting the appropriate attire into a portable bag. In fact, I do not even own anything larger than a carry-on. However, please do not think I am a frumpy old lady. For instance, our neighborhood holds a weekly meeting and I never have worn the same outfit twice. I dress up to buy groceries. Truly, it all boils down to not wanting to let anyone down by not appearing up to the task at hand; plus, I never want anyone to worry about me. I believe your wife may feel the same way?

On Thursday, I fly to NY, then board the QM2 TA on Friday, 7/28. All my neighbors have offered their giant suitcases; yet I am traveling solo this time and I have to make my way to Brooklyn and then to a friend's home outside London. I do not want to be burdened by unwieldy valises.

Tonight I rolled 7 formals/cocktail dresses into tight tube-like configurations, securing them with many rubber bands. Then I found 7 outfits to wear during the day and rolled them as well. Some of these outfits required tank tops under them and scarves, etc. All in all, I can mix them &, if something becomes irreversibly stained, create at least 12 ensembles. Throwing caution to the wind, I also rolled two swimsuits and added them to the mix. IT ALL FIT! I still have room for at least 4 pairs of shoes and make up and a curling iron! As long as your wife thinks of this packing job as a game of Tetris, she can do it.

When traveling solo, I normally take a pretty flat purse, which I place inside my allowed-inside-the-plane-cabin "personal item", which resembles a small, pliable, gym-like bag. Often my make up ends up in here, too, after shoes take over the carry-on suitcase; but that makes everything easy to reach spur of the moment in the smaller bag. This way I never have to check any of my luggage.

Please tell your wife not to worry. I'm just going with cocktail dresses each night, since no ball gowns understandably would fit (well, I actually added one long black dress, just in case). She can wash everything casual before disembarkation and now she possesses all the clothing she will need for the rest of your adventure.

Have a great time!

Sphynxie

Brilliant. Any chance of a photo so that we (me really :D) can see how it all fits.

Good morning Abe.

In December just gone we did a westbound crossing followed by 5 days in New York, which included over Christmas, and we managed perfectly well.

We even loaded additional 'seasonal' accessories to enter into the spirit of the occasion...

Can't see your pic, most media sharing sites (i.e. Flickr) are blocked at my work, sorry for not acknowledging it.

Yes, we managed to go to England for a week in November and only brought two medium-sized suitcases and two backpacks, and only needed to go to the laundrette once. Winter is so much easier since (IMO) sweaters and such can be worn more than once since I wear an undershirt or long-sleeve thermal underneath it.

For the cruise we're trying very hard to keep it to one large suitcase, one garment bag, and two backpacks, since we need to pay to check the suitcase and garment bag when flying from Chicago to New York (and both AA and BA only give one free bag on transatlantic flights to passengers in coach, which is a travesty), and our travel from Southampton to the town where we're staying (and from there to Heathrow) will be on public transit.

Hello AbeFroman329!

Have a great time!

Sphynxie

Thanks, and thanks for the advice. I should also note that my wife owns some of those travel bags where you can pack clothing into them and then vacuum out the air to save space, and we will almost definitely be putting them to use for this trip.

Brilliant. Any chance of a photo so that we (me really :D) can see how it all fits.

Good morning (at least here in the Pacific NW) & thank you babs135!

I'll attempt to attach the photos I took yesterday. Of course, CruiseCritic insists I crop & shrink them, so here goes. The first photo of clothing on the radiator shows how little space seven formal items can consume.

Still in need of laundering the undergarments, so they are not yet nestled inside shoes. I'm allowing myself one luxury item: a tea thermos. Please keep in mind no matter how hard I try to fold or roll, I always need an iron or a steam, unlike my more fastidious husband. Thus I just roll willy nilly, which will be apparent in these photos. :o

Abe: Yes, our neighbor recently enjoyed a 34-day Nordic cruise and she swears by the rubber bands to each item, then sealing it all in vacuum bags. I'll run to her door to borrow them if necessary. :D Hooray for neighbors!

There also is the trick of filling a suitcase, zipping it and sitting my on it (if it's not a rigid one), then opening it again to find more space revealed.

Tomorrow I fly to NYC and I'm looking forward to a solo trip on the QM2, where I don't have to run back to my hotel room at sunset in a dangerous city as a female traveling alone.

Sphynxie

IMG_674.jpg.a3bd1881a178046f6d8d9976c5d9015f.jpg

IMG_675.jpg.69ad6483860deab45c3b05ebf93636e1.jpg

IMG_676.jpg.77dec3907af6e8cc3042bcde2feb74e7.jpg

Great packing skills ! Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you Host Hattie! I need to pack as efficiently as possible, because I love to travel and intend never to let logistics stand in my way, especially if it's a solo venture.

Sphynxie

Okay, I'm am no good at this shrinking photos thing. Here's another try.

Might give this a go. We will be away for just under 5 weeks early next year and with a flight home from America I'm conscious of weight restrictions. DH doesn't mind paying for a cruise but objects vehemently to having to pay for excess baggage :D I have been told very firmly that it's a case each (+ carry on) and no leeway at all :eek:

Babs, I wish you luck! How fortunate to have 5 weeks to explore a portion of the globe. :D

Like your husband, I too am opposed to that checked luggage fee and just do not enjoy the encumbrance of luggage when moving from place to place. With carry-on, I know my bags will arrive when I do as well as I love that airlines normally do not weigh whatever I bring on the plane.

Our friends are taking the latter to the extreme, as they are toting gym bags full of very heavy antique books on board a flight to Barcelona. They have two toddlers, which means they technically can haul 8 duffels. How are they going to accomplish this feat?!? Yesterday they appeared at our doorstep to retrieve their belongings for their circuitous move from Istanbul to Barcelona. We've been storing all their furnishings and many boxes in our attic for four years and they decide 1.5 days before my trip to address this task. Well, at least I was able to see them, the house is clean, and now I can concentrate on laundry and packing completion today before tomorrow's very early flight to NYC.

Have a fantastic time on your travels and keep those bags small and light!

Just thought I'd post a quick update now that I am finished packing. I not only managed to keep it all within the carry-on luggage limit, but I also was able to add one more formal shawl, two extra pairs of shoes (total of 6 pairs inside), a masquerade mask, and an additional sweater. My small "personal item" bag still is 20% empty, just in case I find something along the way I cannot live without. Moreover, when I zipped the main case together, I discovered an unused large pocket ready to fill with whatever toiletries I collect from the ship and other goodies. I thought that zipper was the one to pull when converting the bag into something that must be checked; so I had steered clear of it. ;)

In other words, it is possible to travel lightly on a formal ship with numerous changes of clothing and plenty of shoes. So worry not about the stipulations of a crossing on a Cunard liner. Go with the flow and enjoy all the grandeur that still exists out on the open seas.

Sphynxie

I am in awe, Sphinxie! Between me and my daughter, we are bringing four large suitcases and two large carry on bags. BUT I am proud of my itty bitty traveling purse. ;p This is for a seven night crossing preceded by four nights in London. I have given up on packing light, regardless of the style of travel (luxury, adventure, etc.) or the itinerary. It simply is not in my genetic code.

Good morning Abe.

Strewth, is that your cabin and BYO Xmas Tree?:')

I am in awe, Sphinxie! Between me and my daughter, we are bringing four large suitcases and two large carry on bags. BUT I am proud of my itty bitty traveling purse. This is for a seven night crossing preceded by four nights in London. I have given up on packing light, regardless of the style of travel (luxury, adventure, etc.) or the itinerary. It simply is not in my genetic code.

Thank you Whirled Peas! I should note I was asked to remove a bulge in my suitcase when placing it in the overhead bin on the plane. It was a rain jacket and that extra sweater. No other issues and I believe/hope :o I have everything I will need onboard.

By the way, my itty bitty purse has been great. At first I thought I would miss all the extras I normally tote with me, but it works well so far. However I wish I had space for lipstick. You are on your way to lighter packing starting with that item!

Quite an exciting flight, though. Due to some malfunction, our 757 could not travel above 16,000 feet. The pilot told us we most likely would have to land somewhere along the way due to using so much fuel at the lower altitude. We made it to JFK, thankfully. Looking out the window, it felt like a helicopter tour of the entire northern USA border.

Safely in Brooklyn now, awaiting boarding!

Best of luck with your packing endeavor. :D