Tell me about New England/Canadian Cruises!

WMQueenie

DH and I (young 60's) and my sister, are taking our first cruise north in October. We have cruised 10 times - all to the Bahamas, Caribbean and Bermuda. I'm not sure what to expect on a northern cruise! Cooler weather! No shorts, sandals and bathing suits around the Lido deck! Are the pools closed? What kind of outdoor activities do they have?! Tell me about your experiences! Thanks in advance!!

Last October I was on the Carnival Sunshine we left the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and did Nova Scotia and then Halifax the next day. I am not a swimmer but there were plenty of people in the pool and hot tub. I didn't need a jacket at all in Nova Scotia. I did have a sweater in Halifax as it was chillier. Everything outdoors seemed to be shipwise the same as the other cruise I've taken to Bahamas. I had the best time walking around Nova Scotia. We just relaxed and shopped and did our own thing and it was fun for me. I'm not a big partier. My friend did a pub crawl excursion and made it back to the shop almost too drunk to get back on board. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Grew up in New England and have October birthday, Could be 70's or you could have snow. Pack layers just in case because it literally can change in a few hours. Great cruise, beautiful part if the world.

We went the second week of October several years ago. The weather started out in the 70's and ended with a snow storm that kept the cruise after us from leaving on time. Several ports were cold, but some were warm. We did see normal swimming activities etc. at least at first. As the previous poster said, pack for a range of temps. and use layers. When we embarked, the leaves hadn't changed yet. When we arrived in Canada, we just missed peak color.

I was also in Novs Scotia and New Brunswick last October. New Brunswick was very windy and rainy. Nova Scotia was beautiful and we actually put the suits on and enjoyed the Serenity Deck before leaving port. I recommend being prepared for anything. No matter what I'm sure you will enjoy those ports. We sure did, especially leaving out of Manhattan. 344e7ef82504313f53c886bbdc5017d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello from Halifax. Hard to say what weather to expect, it really varies, even on the same day it can be hot and cold. It's said that if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes.

Wearing layers is probably your best advice.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather temps in Northeast unpredictable to say the least. Today in NYC it was high 60's breezy and overcast. Not what you would expect in July. October could be anywhere from high 70's and sunny to low 50's and rainy. Best is to get a 7 day forecast before you leave and pack accordingly.

Last October I was on the Carnival Sunshine we left the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and did Nova Scotia and then Halifax the next day. I am not a swimmer but there were plenty of people in the pool and hot tub. I didn't need a jacket at all in Nova Scotia. I did have a sweater in Halifax as it was chillier. Everything outdoors seemed to be shipwise the same as the other cruise I've taken to Bahamas. I had the best time walking around Nova Scotia. We just relaxed and shopped and did our own thing and it was fun for me. I'm not a big partier. My friend did a pub crawl excursion and made it back to the shop almost too drunk to get back on board. Lol.

Halifax is in Nova Scotia.

We were on the NE/Canada cruise last October. The weather was no different from ours here on the northeast. We had casual wear with light sweater or jacket at times. We wore shorts most of the time on the ship. We are not fond of the pool on that route.

Hello from Nova Scotia! I just wanted to correct a slight error....Halifax is the capital city of Nova Scotia, much like Austin is the capital of Texas. Perhaps you are thinking of St John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia? That's two different provinces [which are comparable to American states]. Thank you for visiting our country....I am glad you enjoyed your time with us! Please come again!

The weather in October is usually still very mild. Evenings can be cool....bring a sweater or light jacket. Days, you can usually still wear tshirts and shorts.

I have been wondering this too, as you can see I hail from the land of lake effect snow, and yes, as we say in Erie, 'wait ten minutes, the weather will change'. So we are going on the Sept 2 sail, my hubby wants to bring snow boots and gloves (just kidding) but I say the weather will be warm 70's-80 (swimsuits and shorts). My question, what is the typical weather the first week of September?

Thank you for all your responses! We are from Western Massachusetts...so we're used to warm one minute and cold the next. I'm surprised with people wearing shorts in October though! I think I am more curious about activities onboard in cooler weather. We won't be getting off the ship in Boston, our son lives near there and we have been there a million times. I enjoy an empty ship! Thanks again!

A few years ago we invested in very lightweight wind and water resistant jackets from LL Bean. Unless we're headed to the Caribbean in the warm months I stick them in the suitcase ""just in case". :D Depending on the weather they're light enough to wear on a warm rainy day or resistant enough to wear with layers for the cool or windy ones.