Cruising on the same cruiseline's ships - repetitiveness?

tbmrt

Although we had a wonderful time on the Oasis last year, I wouldn't want to do the Allure or other RC ship this year due to many similar restaurants, performances, activities like rock climbing, zip line, etc. this year.

We were on the Equinox 2 years in a row and decided on the Reflection this year. I recently saw a recent video and was disappointed to see that they have the same performance by their dancers on the Reflection that we saw on the Equinox.

Wondering if frequent cruisers find it a bit repetitive if they cruise the same cruiselines' ships within a few years.

We try to have something "new" to us on every cruise. That "new" could be the embarkation port, destination port, ship, or cruise line. We have sailed NCL Jewel 2x, CCL Freedom 2x, and CCL Destiny/Sunshine 2x but the cruises were years (5, 4, and 6 years respectively) apart with different embarkation ports and itineraries. Some of the show were the same but that was ok since it they were years apart from each other. We seem to sail CCL most often as they meet most of our wants the at a price we want to pay the most often...but we do find if we sail CCL 2-3x in a row, one of our search criteria becomes anything but CCL so we can get out of the rut we start to feel with the same food, layouts, and style of shows. We like to switch things up once in a while.

...Wondering if frequent cruisers find it a bit repetitive if they cruise the same cruiselines' ships....

On the contrary. You'll see from my signature that I have a preferred cruise line.

I very much enjoy knowing where to find the 24-hr 'pub-style' O'Sheehans, knowing the various policies on drinks packages etc inside out, knowing when and where are the best times to get the best theatre seats, restaurant tables etc... I would feel quite lost on another line.

But that's just me... I don't like change very much.

There are simply some ships which I prefer to most others - so of course I will repeat on them. I will also acknowledge a strong disinterest in any ship carrying much more than 2,000 passengers - or which emphasizes robot bar-tenders, amusement park rides, etc. So, since new builds tend to fall into that area, I am increasingly likely to continue sailing older ships --- which I hope will last as long as I do.

Production shows cost the cruise lines a lot of money so they will use them throughout the fleet if possible and for as long as possible. We kind of had the same concerns when we went on Sky two years in a row and while there were certainly similarities there were also enough differences to keep it entertaining (not sure if I'd feel the same way had we gone twice in the same year). There is usually enough to do that you can find something new to do.

There are simply some ships which I prefer to most others - so of course I will repeat on them. I will also acknowledge a strong disinterest in any ship carrying much more than 2,000 passengers - or which emphasizes robot bar-tenders, amusement park rides, etc. So, since new builds tend to fall into that area, I am increasingly likely to continue sailing older ships --- which I hope will last as long as I do.

I feel much the same way and our upcoming trip on Glory will test this preference. I expect that with the Thanksgiving holiday we'll have over 3500 passengers aboard. It will certainly be the acid test. (DW has expressed an interest in sailing on one of the behemoths but then she saw Getaway in port in Warnemunde and has sense lost interest.)

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011

NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012

NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012

NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012

NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013

NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013

NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013

NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014

NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014

NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014

NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015

NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017

Yes, A bit repetitive. ;p

No, we would never consider cruising on only one cruise line, let alone the same ship over and over.

The closest we come to that is Celebrity's Solstice class ships. Having said that, our last two four cruises have been on Princess and RCI ships-different ships on each line of course.

We do pay far more attention to the cruise ship than we do to the cruise line.

A lot depends on the itinerary. In the Med, for example, you are off the ship from early morning until 5 or 6 pm, so cruising the same ship is not really an issue - in fact I've been on NCL Jade twice in the Med for a totally of 23 days and still have not seen much of the ship or ever gone to a show on that ship. On the other hand for ships in the Caribbean, I prefer to try new ships and different lines since I actually use the amenities and see the shows on those ships.

We have done a b2b2b on Sun, totally 33 days, didn't find it repetitious.

B2b on star for 28 days.

B2b on Jade for 28 days.

Another cruise on Sun, 16 days.

Another cruise on Jade, 14 days.

7 days on Jewel and then a different year 14 days on Jewel.

We enjoy being familiar with ship, especially on ta crossings with lots of sea days.

We cruise for the itinerary and/or sea day relaxation so if entertainment is duplicated we choose a different entertainment option, maybe a pianist in a lounge instead of main production.

Our cruise line of choice is Royal Caribbean, although we have spread the love around and sailed several different lines. My husband and I both say that when we step foot on a Royal ship, it feels like "home". We are comfortable. We are relaxed. We are content.

You'll see we have sailed a few ships more than once - we enjoy that and it is never boring or repetitive. We just love cruising! We hope to do so again one day. :)

Wondering if frequent cruisers find it a bit repetitive if they cruise the same cruiselines' ships within a few years.

Yes. I have my favorites but there's no way I could only cruise 1 or 2 lines. I was pretty loyal for a while but have come to learn that I like new experiences better.

biker@sea - Holy crap! All the power to ya man. There's no way I could do that.....especially on the Dawn!

Primary choice is the cruise line: NCL. It's familiar and Free Style.

Then we choose the itinerary: T/A, E/B or W/B.

Finally the ship. The selection in very limited, so whichever has a good aft-facing B1 cabin. Shows, etc? We don't go anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. I have my favorites but there's no way I could only cruise 1 or 2 lines. I was pretty loyal for a while but have come to learn that I like new experiences better.

biker@sea - Holy crap! All the power to ya man. There's no way I could do that.....especially on the Dawn!

I Know :o Dawn must is the worst designed ship in NCL Fleet. :(

But it's in our backyard + Cheap last minute deal's . :cool:

Although we had a wonderful time on the Oasis last year, I wouldn't want to do the Allure or other RC ship this year due to many similar restaurants, performances, activities like rock climbing, zip line, etc. this year.

We were on the Equinox 2 years in a row and decided on the Reflection this year. I recently saw a recent video and was disappointed to see that they have the same performance by their dancers on the Reflection that we saw on the Equinox.

We cruise every December on the RCI Grandeur of The Sea,same cabin ,same itinerary.

We're open to almost any line, any ship. Yes, we have favorites, but itinerary, weather and price are more important to us. We've actually only sailed the exact same ship a couple of times. We are not that picky and have managed to enjoy every cruise, even when not perfect.

I could never limit us to just one line or ship.

I Know :o Dawn must is the worst designed ship in NCL Fleet. :(

But it's in our backyard + Cheap last minute deal's . :cool:

I guess there is something tempting about having a neighborhood cruise ship - and Bermuda is a great destination. But, I think I would suffer from serious NCL OD symptoms.

At some point they all very similar... we have well over 60 cruises on 9 different lines over the past 30 years or so. we have repeated a few ships, mostly booked new ships... but the shows don't change that much, what changes are the performers some are really great, some less so. So learn when on any ship, pick and choose what you enjoy and then it really doesn't matter that much, if you really enjoy the cruise experience.

I guess there is something tempting about having a neighborhood cruise ship - and Bermuda is a great destination. But, I think I would suffer from serious NCL OD symptoms.

Oasis is a great backyard ship. Especially if you are a frequent floater with RCL

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app