Bringing our 18 month old on carnival magic! Any advice?????

rosarodriguez

Yes, this model fully reclines and has a reasonably sized basket for carrying baby's things. We just got back from a Disney cruise and this stroller was compact and fully reclined. We got ours at Buy Buy Baby with 20% off coupon.

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

Wow. Are you serious??? Go take your squabble elsewhere!

I am amazed at folks bringing small kids on cruises? Why are they included? I remember when I was 2, the greatest vacation...that doesn't sounds logical. Maybe no one to watch your kid? It's probably just me but I don't get it. Wait till 5 or 6 then they can appreciate it.

It's logical if you'd stop to think about it.

People take their children, their loved family members, on cruises much as they do any family vacation.

It's no different than doing anything with your child.

Why do parents sing to babies, why to they read to toddlers, why do art projects with a 4 year old, why show an infant a ladybug walking on a leaf...

The experiences you share with your children, beginning the second they are born, shape them into the well-rounded adults we want them to be.

They may not remember it, but they will appreciate all the love and time you spent with them. Young children may not remember specific things or events, but they will always remember the feelings of being included, loved and cared for.

This is why we all do things with young children and not just lock them in cages until they turn 5 or 6. When they can "appreciate things".

OP: have a wonderful cruise and take a lot of photos. Your son will thank you when he's older. And please check out the family board for more advice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

However it is an opinion. Well liked or not. Is this board for open discussions?? If the OP comes back with we love our cherub and Mom can't bear to be away, I can accept that. BUT I asked a question. Chillax.

You did not ask a question in your first response in this thread, other than "Maybe no one to watch your kid?" Clearly the OP is already planning on taking her child and your "question" did nothing to answer her question. Rude. You go chillax.

OP your baby will have accredit time. Bring more diapers than you think you need, a few toys, and just go with the flow. Have fun!

Thanks for answering the Op's question. My daughter wants to bring her child on a cruise in February 2015. Her child will be 20 months old at that time. Will she able to take her child to Camp Carnival?

No, they must be two years old for CC.

No, they must be two years old for CC.

Which again sucks. Carnival needs to get with the times.

Carnival attracts lots of families but does not provide child care for kids less than 2 yrs old. Why?

Royal Caribbean and Disney do

We have a 20 months old. We wont have to worry about this much longer but up until now Carnival has not been our first choice because of their policies.

First time we went on Disney and did not consider Carnival even though it was much much cheaper.

This time we are going on Carnival just because RCCL and Disney is not sailing from Galveston at the moment.

Don't worry about bringing food, or even ordering off the kids menu. Let your kid try everything and anything!!! I would pick an assigned dining time (rather than the "any time" dining) so that the wait staff gets to know you and your child's preferences... if there's something they love, the wait staff will make sure they have it, sometimes it will be waiting for them when you enter the dining room (bread or fruit or even shrimp cocktail).

It's that hideous monster again. Very simple question and the masses go crazy. A. we have grown children and grandchildren. B. I'm retired now and watch one of my granddaughters during the week and take her to school. C. I take my grandson to karate practice and have for 3 years. D. We take everyone on an ocean vacation to NC in the summer. Both families and all the grandkids. I see a cruise as a more intimate time away for parents, who in today's fast pace world need time together. 50% divorce rate. So it was a real question. Our first cruise was in 92 and left kids behind and well cared for. The wife did not enjoy the trip because our son was 8. It was a legit question. I don't mind being flamed....

If you're old enough to be a grandparent, you should've expected your "simple question" would make the "masses fo crazy" or maybe that was your intention?

We've taken our kids to Scotland, Cuba 3x, 2 cruises starting at 6months. And we included them on our family vacations because they are a part of our family. Some people think of cruises as a family vacation. You think of them as time away for parents. People cruise for different reasons. Some people cruise solo or with a group of friends, maybe they should ask you the simple question why you would bring your wife on a cruise? In their opinion a cruise is for a group of buddies, not spouses. ;)

It's logical if you'd stop to think about it.

People take their children, their loved family members, on cruises much as they do any family vacation.

It's no different than doing anything with your child.

Why do parents sing to babies, why to they read to toddlers, why do art projects with a 4 year old, why show an infant a ladybug walking on a leaf...

The experiences you share with your children, beginning the second they are born, shape them into the well-rounded adults we want them to be.

They may not remember it, but they will appreciate all the love and time you spent with them. Young children may not remember specific things or events, but they will always remember the feelings of being included, loved and cared for.

This is why we all do things with young children and not just lock them in cages until they turn 5 or 6. When they can "appreciate things".

OP: have a wonderful cruise and take a lot of photos. Your son will thank you when he's older. And please check out the family board for more advice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Great response!

OP, feed the baby while takeoff and landing to relieve ear pressure. Split up baby itmes in your carry-ons incase a bag gets lost. Plan on the husband carrying the baby and stroller while you carry a beach bag (or use backpack as carry on so it's easier to carry), umbrella stoller is good for naps but doesn't work in sand.

I would take a crying baby out of Dining room or buffet until they calm down, but don't worry about what other people think.

My wife would never travel without our kids, it's not about them remembering it - it's about spending time with family. You will have the memories.

Which again sucks. Carnival needs to get with the times.

Carnival attracts lots of families but does not provide child care for kids less than 2 yrs old. Why?

Royal Caribbean and Disney do

We have a 20 months old. We wont have to worry about this much longer but up until now Carnival has not been our first choice because of their policies.

First time we went on Disney and did not consider Carnival even though it was much much cheaper.

This time we are going on Carnival just because RCCL and Disney is not sailing from Galveston at the moment.

RC does not take children under 3. I don't know what disney's policy is.

RC does not take children under 3. I don't know what disney's policy is.

RC does take children under 3. In fact they take under 2 to infants.

Google Royal Babies and Tots

Disney takes infants too but that's expected of Disney.

The fountain and the train at the mall do the same thing as a cruise.:)

Just do early seating.:D

Yes.

Just because some of us can't quite grasp why people take small children, doesn't mean we are cold people. It's we don't see how full enjoyment from a cruise is complete when all the time is spent revolving around a child who isn't going to remember it anyway.

RC does take children under 3. In fact they take under 2 to infants.

Google Royal Babies and Tots

Disney takes infants too but that's expected of Disney.

But at a charge, correct? Carnival does as well, with limited hours, and about an hour daily but parents must accompany.

You are right, you just don't "get it". You just don't get that watching the joy, excitement, and awe on your child's face is priceless, whether they remember it or not. It doesn't matter because the parents will remember it.

And, maybe they don't have anyone to watch their child. Maybe they wouldn't dream of leaving the child at home and cruise without them. Or maybe, just maybe the parents would like to create some memories with their child while they are young. Whatever the reason, it is their choice! Why judge?

Edited by Lucille Bluth

Don't worry about bringing food, or even ordering off the kids menu. Let your kid try everything and anything!!! I would pick an assigned dining time (rather than the "any time" dining) so that the wait staff gets to know you and your child's preferences... if there's something they love, the wait staff will make sure they have it, sometimes it will be waiting for them when you enter the dining room (bread or fruit or even shrimp cocktail).

This is absolutely true! My son was 16 months on his first cruise and besides tippy cups, extra diapers/wipes, and meds he didn't need anything extra. He was spoiled by all the staff and he soaked up every second. As far as eating in the dining room, only you know the patience of your kiddo. We ate in the dining room every night with both kids (daughter was 5 1/2) and we enjoyed ourselves very much. Never had a single melt down, but our kids are used to going out and dressing up so it wasn't an issue. Enjoy your trip and I hope you have a blast making memories with your little one!

Your logic is faulty. Why do we buy kids toys, if they can't remember anything at 2 years old? We should just lock them in a dark room until they can appreciate life.

Your logic is faulty. Why do we buy kids toys, if they can't remember anything at 2 years old? We should just lock them in a dark room until they can appreciate life.

Who's logic is faulty? Right now, yours is. You cannot compare a 2 year old playing with a toy at home with a cruise that cost plenty to start with to watch your child play with a toy.

Who's logic is faulty? Right now, yours is. You cannot compare a 2 year old playing with a toy at home with a cruise that cost plenty to start with to watch your child play with a toy.

Just curious what's the over/under on how much is acceptable to spend on a 2-year old?

Edited by fuddrules

Sorry that you couldn't connect the dots! Apparently I can compare them, because I just did.

The point is, if bringing your child onto a cruise makes them happy at that moment, then who cares if they will "remember" it in 30 years or not? We don't apply that requirement to any other part of the child raising process. The child has the right to be happy and enjoy new experiences such as a cruise if that is what the parents can afford.

Sorry that you couldn't connect the dots! Apparently I can compare them, because I just did.

The point is, if bringing your child onto a cruise makes them happy at that moment, then who cares if they will "remember" it in 30 years or not? We don't apply that requirement to any other part of the child raising process. The child has the right to be happy and enjoy new experiences such as a cruise if that is what the parents can afford.

My dots are connected, but yours is still a bit off. What we are saying is why pay big bucks for a cruise, pay full price for the child, not relaxing, working the cruise experience into revolving around naps, feedings, etc.

But at a charge, correct? Carnival does as well, with limited hours, and about an hour daily but parents must accompany.

Technically yes. Carnival offers it at a very limited capacity.

After 10 PM on sea days.

Until 12 PM on port days.

That's nothing.

RCCL and Disney are all day, with activities, feeding, etc...

Fee yes but we happily paid it :)

My dots are connected, but yours is still a bit off. What we are saying is why pay big bucks for a cruise, pay full price for the child, not relaxing, working the cruise experience into revolving around naps, feedings, etc.

I'm sorry - is someone forcing you to do that?

Anyways, my cruise experience already revolves around naps and feedings! :D

Why are kids included? Because they're part of our family. I could not imagine getting on a ship for more than a few hours without my child, nor leaving the country, on a ship or a plane, nor would I request anyone watch my young child for more than a night or two. The memories we create with our children belong to us as parents just as much as to our children. Take your judgement elsewhere, grump.

Couldn't agree more. Our son LOVED his first cruise; he was about that age. We are now planning our 6th! Take a look at our first review in my signature, it has pictures and a timeline of activities we participated in on our first cruise. On the Conquest, but still relates.

Edited by EnTnSA

It's that hideous monster again. Very simple question and the masses go crazy. A. we have grown children and grandchildren. B. I'm retired now and watch one of my granddaughters during the week and take her to school. C. I take my grandson to karate practice and have for 3 years. D. We take everyone on an ocean vacation to NC in the summer. Both families and all the grandkids. I see a cruise as a more intimate time away for parents, who in today's fast pace world need time together. 50% divorce rate. So it was a real question. Our first cruise was in 92 and left kids behind and well cared for. The wife did not enjoy the trip because our son was 8. It was a legit question. I don't mind being flamed....

Try understanding that your way of seeing the world is not everyone else's way of seeing it. I find it comforting and enjoyable to have my wife and on with me together. While there are perks to being kid free on a vacation, if given the choice, we would chose to bring him 95% of the time.

If that is not for you, fine, but to say everyone should abide by your way of seeing things is just insulting.

I happen to feel that families don't spend ENOUGH time with their kids and should bring their kids more often than not. Perhaps if the parents could stop being so selfish, and look up from their phones occasionally, the kids wouldn't be so misbehaved on a cruise.

am I going to ridicule you for choosing to leave your children behind while you get away…no…but do you see how it could be a two way street?