ATV Tours with Terry - kids?

eh24fan

I have a question for anyone that has done the ATV tour with Tour Samana with Terry.

My parents took my 12 year old last year and we are trying to make our decisions for this year. My husband would like to take our 7 year old on this tour with him in April and I'm just really not sure it's a good idea. My mom says the tour requires driving fairly fast on the main roads and is concerned about my 7 yr old being able to hold on, as well as the fact that the helmets are just skid helmets, not full coverage.

Initially, I was of the mindset that she is being overprotective as usual, but the more I think about it, the more I am starting to have reservations about this. My husband, being Mr. Macho, says our son can handle it, he will be fine, etc. Me, being Mom...well I'm questioning this plan.

Has ANYONE on here taken a child on this tour??? I need advice.

I have a question for anyone that has done the ATV tour with Tour Samana with Terry.

My parents took my 12 year old last year and we are trying to make our decisions for this year. My husband would like to take our 7 year old on this tour with him in April and I'm just really not sure it's a good idea. My mom says the tour requires driving fairly fast on the main roads and is concerned about my 7 yr old being able to hold on, as well as the fact that the helmets are just skid helmets, not full coverage.

Initially, I was of the mindset that she is being overprotective as usual, but the more I think about it, the more I am starting to have reservations about this. My husband, being Mr. Macho, says our son can handle it, he will be fine, etc. Me, being Mom...well I'm questioning this plan.

Has ANYONE on here taken a child on this tour??? I need advice.

I just returned from Terry's ATV tour. It was absolutely fantastic, a once in a lifetime experience. If you think your 7 year old will be responsible enough to hold on; then you should bring him. If you are not sure, I would not chance it. I was a rider with my husband and

I held on with one hand and filmed with the other at times. When it was bumpy I would hold on with two hands. There was a couple holding a toddler on the tour. The mother held him for dear life! That I would not recommend. We saw whole families go by on scooters, two kids and the parents. It was pretty wild.

So the answer is, it depends on the child if you can trust him to hold on.

I just returned from Terry's ATV tour. It was absolutely fantastic, a once in a lifetime experience. If you think your 7 year old will be responsible enough to hold on; then you should bring him. If you are not sure, I would not chance it. I was a rider with my husband and

I held on with one hand and filmed with the other at times. When it was bumpy I would hold on with two hands. There was a couple holding a toddler on the tour. The mother held him for dear life! That I would not recommend. We saw whole families go by on scooters, two kids and the parents. It was pretty wild.

So the answer is, it depends on the child if you can trust him to hold on.

Yeah, my parents and older son said the same thing. I think we are going to let my husband and stepdad do the ATV's and we'll take the 7yr old on the low impact tour with the rest of us. I think my husband would have more fun not having to worry about him holding on! My husband is a big guy and I'm just not sure about our 7yr old hanging on for 4-5hrs of off and on riding. He hasn't ridden anything like that before and I think it might be a bit much for him. I'm such a mom. But like I told my husband, there may be other opportunities for this in the future when he is older.

A toddler? Yikes! That would have NEVER flown with this mama! LOL Thank you so much for your input. It's nice to have input from someone other than an overprotective Mommom and Mom. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe someone might know if there is a weight limit on Terry's ATV tour? There is on the ship excursion and it's also $70 more expensive!:eek:

Thanks in advance!:)

I doubt there is a weight or age limit. As I mentioned prior, they let two parents go with a 2 year old. My husband and myself who are no lightweights shared the ATVs, unless both of you are over 250+ each; I doubt it would be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

We did this (combined with the zip line) about six months ago; my 11 year old rode with me and our then 8 year old rode with DH. They both did absolutely fine & had a BLAST. With that said, only you can decide on the right choice for your family. There was no weight limit on the tour, but there is a minimum age to drive ATVs. Enjoy!

• 7 months later...

I realized today that I NEVER came back and posted our decisions! My 7yr old rode the ATV with my hubby and had a BLAST!!! Terry and his entire operation were so helpful and kind. If we ever get to go back to Samana, we will book another tour with Tour Samana with Terry in a heartbeat.