Seavis vs. Pro Excursions - cost difference?

Rlynng

I'm researching the Saona excursions from both Seavis and Pro Excursions. If I'm looking at their websites correctly Seavis is charging $65 and Pro X is $99.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Most of the reviews I have read say they are very similar so I'm trying to figure out why Pro X is more expensive and what we would get for the additional $$

Thanks!

I'm researching the Saona excursions from both Seavis and Pro Excursions. If I'm looking at their websites correctly Seavis is charging $65 and Pro X is $99.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Most of the reviews I have read say they are very similar so I'm trying to figure out why Pro X is more expensive and what we would get for the additional $$

Thanks!

We have only taken the Seavis excursion to Saona and that was via motorboats. The ProE excursion is via a newer 45' motorized cat instead, similar itinerary. So not sure why their prices is so much higher. They probably have a higher overhead than Seavis but both outfits are top-notch. We did take the ProE luxury cat Quetzal on the Catalina Island excursion which was also excellent.

We highly recommend the Seavis Saona excursion, great staff and a fun day

Seavis has multi speed boats. They will allow up to 180 people total on this tour. Who knows if they ever get that many guests but that is what I was told.

Edited by l2f

Seavis has multi speed boats. They will allow up to 180 people total on this tour. Who knows if they ever get that many guests but that is what I was told.

They told us they take 4 max on extremely busy days and usually 2 - 3 but I'm not sure now. We never saw more than 3 leaving Bayahibe each day during our 2 weeks at Dreams.

Felt sorry for those that took the Carnival excursion when we took the Seavis tour. We had 2 boats, very comfy.

I have to recommend the Pro E Catalina Island/River Chavon/CasaDeCampo excursion on their new luxury cat the Quetzal. Wonderful day!

Edited by blue_water

Felt sorry for those that took the Carnival excursion when we took the Seavis tour. We had 2 boats, very comfy.

Do all the tours go to the same beach and if so how crowded is the beach?

I have to recommend the Pro E Catalina Island/River Chavon/CasaDeCampo excursion on their new luxury cat the Quetzal. Wonderful day!

I have seen several people mention the Catalina Island Quetzal excursion but just don't seem to find it on their website. It is the with with snorkeling? Or perhaps it is too long for a cruise ship stop.

Thanks

These tours for cruisers go from Bayahibe to the Piñon Rocks to see the wildlife & mangroves, then onto Catuano Beach on Saona. There's a snorkel spot at the pier, they have an excellent lunch, and the beach is gorgeous. Only your group that day will be there. The Carnival tour beached at the north end of the beach where they have their spot set-up. After relaxing there you head for the Natural Pool, a shallow sandbar with a variety of starfish. Enjoy rum drinks there then an exhilerating ride back to Bayahibe. Folks we met who took the Carnival excursion said they missed the Natural Pool due to the lack of time.

There are other beaches (Mano Juan, Canto de la Playa) but they are only offered to hotel guests due to the length of time involved. You can see the beaches mapped on their site and by googling.

Great day!

I have seen several people mention the Catalina Island Quetzal excursion but just don't seem to find it on their website. It is the with with snorkeling? Or perhaps it is too long for a cruise ship stop.

Thanks

I think our day would have been too long for a cruise stop, but I know I've read reviews from other cruisers who did take it. I remember one reviewer was disappointed that the lunch wasn't a hot dish. But e-mail them, it's worth the effort to see if it is an option.

Yes, you have 2 snorkel stops (or a beach, if you prefer). The Aquariom is off the quieter beach, and the Wall is off the beach called "Casa De Campo" because there are chair rentals and other amenities for resort guests from the mainland. But gorgeous beach, and the rest of the day is very nice.

Hope it's an option for you - let me know what you find out!

These tours for cruisers go from Bayahibe to the Piñon Rocks to see the wildlife & mangroves, then onto Catuano Beach on Saona. There's a snorkel spot at the pier, they have an excellent lunch, and the beach is gorgeous. Only your group that day will be there. The Carnival tour beached at the north end of the beach where they have their spot set-up. After relaxing there you head for the Natural Pool, a shallow sandbar with a variety of starfish. Enjoy rum drinks there then an exhilerating ride back to Bayahibe. Folks we met who took the Carnival excursion said they missed the Natural Pool due to the lack of time.

There are other beaches (Mano Juan, Canto de la Playa) but they are only offered to hotel guests due to the length of time involved. You can see the beaches mapped on their site and by googling.

Great day!

I was on the Seavis tour last week. As for the difference in price, the Seavis tour also requires a $15 (round trip) taxi, so maybe the other vendor includes the transportation in their fee.

Anyway, we left Bayahibe and went straight to Saona. We only had two boats (and boat #2 didn't appear to be full, but it probably was). I thought the beach was just OK. Maybe I should've gone to the other side of the pier. There WERE others there (boats pulled right up onto the beach right in front of us; people got off and had some sort of really yummy-looking grilled lobster lunch). Our drinks were included; lunch was chicken, pork, salad, potatoes, rice (maybe something else).

I wasn't all that impressed at first but liked it more as the day went on. The drinks may have had something to do with that! Some loungers would've been nice to soak up the sun rather than chairs. After lunch, we left and passed the mangroves, then on to the sandbar and the starfish. Must say it was pretty neat to be standing there, surrounded by turquoise water, looking at starfish, drinking rum punch and eating cake. :D

I had hoped to do the River/Nature Center tour and couldn't get ANY interest so switched to this and had a very enjoyable day.

Yes good point, the taxi fare is on top of the excursion price but they coordinate that for you, very easy.

There may be other tours on Catuano Beach depending on when tours with land visitors arrive and the Pro E option. There are other beaches to hit as I noted but these require more time and are for land visitors. But we enjoyed Catuano, gorgeous, clean beach and beautiful water!

I checked this out for my upcoming cruise and my cruise ship charges $101 adults/$90 kids and the tour company charges $65 adult/$40kids plus a $15 transportaion fee. even so for just 2 adults that would be $202 vs $160. They are using the same company, Seavis!

It's always more expensive to book through the ship. Actually the Carnival excursions were not through Seavis when we were there, and they started closer to La Romana than Bayahibe where Seavis and Pro E are located. The Carnival excursion also goes to a different part of the beach that is rockier and doesn't go through the mangroves and by the rocks. Catuano Beach where Seavis goes is a beautiful beach and a great spot to relax.

Note that if you contact Seavis, they'll give you a group code. If you can get 12 or maybe 14 people total (recruit on your Roll Call), you'll get a 10% discount.

So, we each paid $59 for the excursion plus the $15 taxi fare.

I hope to upload my photos and start my review soon (must do some laundry!). I always include lots of details about my excursions and my thoughts on the vendors.

• 1 month later...
Note that if you contact Seavis, they'll give you a group code. If you can get 12 or maybe 14 people total (recruit on your Roll Call), you'll get a 10% discount.

So, we each paid $59 for the excursion plus the $15 taxi fare.

I hope to upload my photos and start my review soon (must do some laundry!). I always include lots of details about my excursions and my thoughts on the vendors.

It sounds like you had a good time on this tour. I had a quick question for you about the taxi fare. Was it $15 total for your group or is it $15 per person?

The taxi fare is per person. We paid less but that was a couple years ago. You will pay the driver after being returned to the dock. Be sure to tip your guides well if you enjoy your day, they do an excellent job for you.

They now offer a promo code for a 10% discount for 14 or more ppl, but their regular price is very reasonable.

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/freeexcursions_e.htm

Edited by blue_water