Seasickness concerns...

taffy12

Hello all. This is not a cruise question, but I felt you all would be great people to ask. I'll be going on a 9-hour lighthouse tour out of Bar Harbor at the end of July, weaving up to see the lights along the northern Maine coast and the very southern bits of Canada. I'm very worried about getting seasick, and I look to you all for advice. I don't usually get seasick. I've been on something like fifteen cruises, plus some long and choppy tender rides (we got caught in a storm coming back to the ship in Belize once!) and several dolphin tours out of the southern US. I've been seasick exactly twice: on a glass-bottom boat tour in the Bahamas...and on a whale-watching trip out of Gloucester, Massachusetts last October. It's this last trip that has me worried; I was ok when we were sailing, but became quite ill and miserable as we bobbed around in the open water watching whales. I don't think trying to take pictures with a zoom lens on my DSLR did me any favors.

So I ask...do you think I should be concerned about my lighthouse tour, and what can I do to prevent seasickness? This boat will be a double-hulled catamaran, which I've heard will help - hopefully. And a friend recommended taking Bonine every twelve hours, starting 24 hours before my trip. What do you all recommend?

I agree with the Bonine suggestion. You aren't prone to traveling motion, it seems, but random bobbing bothers you....so take the Bonine...it won't hurt most folks at all unless you have some condition or take medications than contraindicate bonine.....

I agree with your friend. Get some Bonine. Talk to the pharmacist if you have any health concerns or are taking any prescription medications, to make sure there are no contraindications for you.

Thank you, all!

Taffy...You don't have to buy the brand name Bonine. The generic is meclazine (usually 25 mg.) and it works just as well as Bonine. I know from personal experience. Most chain drugstores (i.e.. CVS, Walgreens, etc.) have their own brand which is most always right next to the Bonine on the shelf, and it is cheaper sometimes by a good bit. Hope you enjoy your lighthouse tour! :D

My husband has had issues with a whale watching boat, but not a larger ship. He has had great success with sea-bands (so I'd assume any knock offs too). Also don't tell him I told you! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sea bands, and hydration. Drink plenty of water or yellow/original Gatoraid for the potassium and electrolites. My daughter and I swear by the bands -- we feel better within a few minutes of putting them on. She carries hers in her purse, and puts them on as soon as her ship card goes 'Bong!'

If your a fan of myth busters they did a show on sea sickness. Ginger won out head and shoulders above the rest. Since watching that show my wife always takes ginger pills on cruises with her. It comes in little capsules. An additional benefit is it doesn't make her sleepy.