drop off for terminal question

tinkandpan

we were thinking of having a friend drop us off- looking at the port fees, it seems as though there is a 30 drop off fee? What is that a fee for? If they are just dropping us and going- is there a fee?

That's a parking fee, not a drop off fee. No one (or at least almost no one) parks their car at the cruise terminal when dropping off passengers. They pull up to the terminal door (or alternatively pull over to the curb on the opposite (uptown) side of 12th Ave., drop off their passengers and leave.

We were dropped off last week and there was no fee. There was no place for pick up except across the street.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

.....you don't have to be picked up across the street from the terminal, you can be picked up at EITHER the upper or lower access road to the terminal.

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

:confused:

wasiii

.....you don't have to be picked up across the street from the terminal, you can be picked up at EITHER the upper or lower access road to the terminal.

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

:confused:

wasiii

We just arrived home on Sunday & at disembarkation you can only be picked up across the street from the terminal. First time we've ever seen this while cruising the Port of NY. All was normal at embarkation.

We just arrived home on Sunday & at disembarkation you can only be picked up across the street from the terminal. First time we've ever seen this while cruising the Port of NY. All was normal at embarkation.

.....I always had someone pick me up right outside the terminal, either upstairs or downstairs. This is completely foreign to me.

Hope they change it back to normal by September 1.

;)

wasiii

Ouch. That is good to know, as we normally take the elevator to the second floor and grab a cab. That changes things a bit for us.

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure why you had a problem. We got home Sunday as well, and the porter took us to the shuttle bus area, and even left his cart there for us to sit on. My husband pulled up to the curb in an empty shuttle bus slot, we loaded, and left. No problem at all. Wonder if using a porter makes a difference?

terry

Not sure why you had a problem. We got home Sunday as well, and the porter took us to the shuttle bus area, and even left his cart there for us to sit on. My husband pulled up to the curb in an empty shuttle bus slot, we loaded, and left. No problem at all. Wonder if using a porter makes a difference?

terry

terry

Unfortunately, there are some workers at the pier who will try to force you to go across the street. I guess it's their way of trying to cut down on traffic entering the cruise terminal. After Hurricane Sandy all pick ups were being made across the street until all the facilities at the pier including elevators and escalators were repaired. After repairs were completed, pickups at the pier resumed.

Unless orders are being given by a police officer, you should feel free to go upstairs if you want.

And yes, it does help to hire a porter. They'll take you where you want to go.

Unfortunately, there are some workers at the pier who will try to force you to go across the street. I guess it's their way of trying to cut down on traffic entering the cruise terminal. After Hurricane Sandy all pick ups were being made across the street until all the facilities at the pier including elevators and escalators were repaired. After repairs were completed, pickups at the pier resumed.

Unless orders are being given by a police officer, you should feel free to go upstairs if you want.

And yes, it does help to hire a porter. They'll take you where you want to go.

Maybe it depends on the time? Especially with passengers arriving for embarkation. We were off at 9:20 and used a porter as well. We did park at the pier but officers were also there directing anyone who was to be picked up to go across the street. Not sure what was going on.

Maybe it depends on the time? Especially with passengers arriving for embarkation. We were off at 9:20 and used a porter as well. We did park at the pier but officers were also there directing anyone who was to be picked up to go across the street. Not sure what was going on.

There usually aren't a large number of passengers arriving for embarkation at 9:20...that's typically an hour or more later.

I've given up trying to predict the directions they give departing passengers...it seems to change at whim. I'm willing to bet most of the port workes on the ground level insisting you have to cross the street to get picked up don't even know there's a taxi stand one level up.

I'll be traveling solo in October. If you need to go across the street to be pick up by the car service, will the porters bring your luggage across the street. I won't be able to manage my luggage by myself. Last time I sailed out of NY the porter brought me to a pick up location with numbers at each space. I called the car service, told them where I was, and it was so easy.

Archived