Excursion help please

Lois R

Hi, going on Spirit in August and we are 90 days from sailing:D.....out of all the days showing on line there are only 2 ports that show "available excursions"........do any of you experienced folks know about how long it will take for them to put the others on there for purchase? That 90 day area is not working for all of them.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.:D

Lois - CHILL!!

I think we're all going to be very happy once you're cruising, you really are so totally overthinking everything.

The excursions will show up in their own good time. You don't have to book them on Day 1. Relax and wait for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lois - CHILL!!

I think we're all going to be very happy once you're cruising, you really are so totally overthinking everything.

The excursions will show up in their own good time. You don't have to book them on Day 1. Relax and wait for them.

WOW:eek:......I AM CHILLED.......I was just asking a question........I KNOW they will eventually show up.

I am not overthinking anything........I have cruised many times over the years and was asking a simple question how SILVERSEAS

works.:eek:....sorry to have bothered you..........

Thanks Randy:).....I always thought the boards were for information.......since I have been chatting on them for many,

many years I guess I should know better that there are always folks who call people out for asking things.........

I appreciate all YOUR help since I decided to book this trip.:) Oh, another thing, there is a gal on our roll call who has

never cruised before and to be honest, she was asking about this.......so I was trying to be kind and ask about it for her.

Thanks Randy:).....I always thought the boards were for information.......since I have been chatting on them for many,

many years I guess I should know better that there are always folks who call people out for asking things.........

I appreciate all YOUR help since I decided to book this trip.:) Oh, another thing, there is a gal on our roll call who has

never cruised before and to be honest, she was asking about this.......so I was trying to be kind and ask about it for her.

For sure Cruise Critic, at least for me, is the best single source for cruise information sharing. It's been that way as far back as I have participated here from its roots in AOL until today.

As for your question.....over six Silversea cruises we've seen kind of an ebb and flow of excursion/tour availability and information starting at the 90-day point. Some ports never change, some add excursions/tours, and some excursions/tours disappear. I can't remember each and every cruise and every port so I can't definitely say there's a date where it all is firm one way or the other. Personally we do a mixture of ship, privately arranged, and self-guided tours. Those decisions are based on several factors like cost, our interest, familiarity with the port, etc.

Lois R - You are wise to ask as many questions as you want to. Do not be intimidated by someone who doesn't appreciate your questions. We have learned many, many things from participation on this website from how to save money, to which tours to take.

I don't believe you mentioned which ports you will be going to. It might be helpful to list them and then others can chime in with their do and don't ideas.

Bon voyage!

Our cruise leaves in August too, and although there had been some excursions listed on the main website when we booked, we are also coming up to the 90 day window with many port days having zero excursions to preview. I sent an email to Silverseas and got a response that the excursions are still being finalized.

I know for myself that part of the pleasure I get from cruising is the planning, and getting the most from the experience. This certainly may not be the case for the more spontaneous amongst us.

So, I know where you're coming from, Lois. Hang in there!

Thank you all who have been kind:)......I do appreciate it.

Itinerary...... we sail from Barcelona with stops in:

PALMA DE MALLORCA, BALEARIC IS, SPAIN

IBIZA, BALEARIC ISLANDS, SPAIN

PORTO MAHON, SPAIN

ALGHERO, SARDINIA, ITALY

PORTOFERRAIO, ELBA, ITALY

LIVORNO, ITALY

I have my choices for IBIZA and PORT MAHON already picked out:)........doing 1/2 day tours with the cruiseline and will wait to see what

they offer in the other ports:)

Lois R - You are wise to ask as many questions as you want to. Do not be intimidated by someone who doesn't appreciate your questions. We have learned many, many things from participation on this website from how to save money, to which tours to take.

I don't believe you mentioned which ports you will be going to. It might be helpful to list them and then others can chime in with their do and don't ideas.

Bon voyage!

Thank you. You know I don't care if they don't appreciate my questions....what is so rude about it is to say "we'll all be

happy when you are cruising"....it is reading to me like I am not supposed to be posting.:mad:.......I remember years

ago when I first started using this site I was criticized quite often......then I realized it is the net and folks say all kinds

of things.......thankfully there are kind and helpful people who are on here too:D

Lois,

May I suggest that if you give as much information as possible about what your passions and boredoms are for both yourself and your travel companions then many of us Europeans who know many of these places well can offer you targetted suggestions that will sate you personally rather than all tourists generally.

There is more to bore in many of these places but also a lot to interest those with quirky interests.

Lois,

May I suggest that if you give as much information as possible about what your passions and boredoms are for both yourself and your travel companions then many of us Europeans who know many of these places well can offer you targetted suggestions that will sate you personally rather than all tourists generally.

There is more to bore in many of these places but also a lot to interest those with quirky interests.

Hi Jeff:)........I travel on my own......no companions.....we have a small roll call but I don't know any of those folks except

from on here;).

What do I like? Oh wow.....I enjoying walking tours of gardens/buildings/ and good food:D.....I did a culinary excursion

in Amsterdam last year that was alot of fun:D I love to cruise LOL......visiting places I have never been to before which

is this trip. I know you are asking about more specific things.......I enjoy alot of stuff:)

Well, that really depends on the tour company. It is more pleasurable to be with others but I have done private tours....just

me and a tour guide before. That was in Rome a few years ago.....it was pre-cruise while I was staying in Rome.....it was

awesome.:)

I have 2 tours booked with Silverseas so I am quite sure I will meet others from the ship on those:)

Lois,

I wish you well and an extremely enjoyable cruise, but unless you are prepared to be a bit more thoughtful and give a few hints and some help so personal help can he provided - then I am afraid you will simply end up with suggestions from many lovely people who have been on previous cruises listing things that they enjoyed and which you may or may not enjoy.

I'm more than happy to suggest but (for example) knowing Majorca extremely well, I'm obviously unable to to post everything I know about the place in the hope that one line is just right for you. You could spend a week in Palma alone wandering around if you knew what you were looking for. If you are unable to say what you want, it is impossible for anyone else to help you.

When you've had a chance to list some more specifics ..... I'm really happy to try and provide thoughtful suggestions for future memories, but if that isn't possible for you then if I were you I'd simply be patient and choose from the published excursions and join one of those.

Enjoy.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Jeff:)....I appreciate it.... I will see what SIlversea offers. I haven't researched the places one by one yet.

I know Florence is known for it's art and Tuscany has all kinds of vineyards.;)

That's probably the best approach. If however you hanker after a remembered passion then a trip to bits and pieces of Europe might offer you an opportunity not to be repeated if you can focus a bit more on what those bits and pieces are. Some people are main road people and happy in a crowd, and others are back street people who wish to be more quieter.

You'll have a great time. :)

Hmmm

Having just been in Ibiza, I suggest walking about on ones own. Silversea will have a shuttle to town which will drop you in the marina area.

Livorno does have some things to see, but if you have never been to Florence then I would take the bus tour to Florence. You can of course take the train from Livorno, depending upon how much time you have. The bus tour to Florence takes you just outside the old city and one must walk. But then Florence is a walking city, and the buildings living art. I probably would suggest a guided tour for the first time visitor.

Edited by spinnaker2

Thank you all who have been kind......I do appreciate it. Itinerary...... we sail from Barcelona with stops in: PALMA DE MALLORCA, IBIZA, PORTO MAHON/SPAIN, ALGHERO/SARDINIA, PORTOFERRAIO/ELBA and LIVORNO/ITALY.

Great ports and stops, Lois, that you have scheduled. Sounds like a wonderful cruise. As I have mentioned previously, we have super loved Barcelona. It is only in and around Florence and Tuscany that we have previously visited. As Spins noted, you have many, many great potentials in that historic and charming part of Italy. Even four or five days in this region is not enough to do it "all". As noted in my live/blog below, we did from this Livorno port a trip that included Pisa, Lucca and San Gimignano. Florence is super great, including its wonderful museums, architecture and history. But a couple of those key museums can be super busy where just walking up to get tickets is not that quick or easy.

In a little over three weeks, we will be on the Silver Spirit for the first time and I will share many details, visuals and tips for enjoying that ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 224,432 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The cruiseline does have an all day excursion to Florence........it is 9.5 hours...it says the bus ride is 1.5 hours so that

would be 3 hours total drive time and 6.5 hours to "do Florence on your own".........

Spinnaker, is this the tour you are referring to?

Lois,

I have been to Tuscany three times both on land vacation and two cruise stops.

Last time at Liverno, I hired Guido Bandelini, a great tour giude. He took four of us to Pisa, Luca, and then a private vineyard for wine and olive oli tasting and a lovely lunch on the terrace of the owner's house. It was a day I will never forget, it was like being in a movie. It was mid Sept and the grapes were being harvested.

Lucca is a walled city that is easily walkable. Pisa with the catherdral and leaning tower is beautiful but always full of tourists.

Going to Florence is by divided highway that takes at least 1 and 1/2 hour by bus if traffic is ok. If you do go to Florence, I would hire a guide for a walking tour to take you to the Academia to see the real statue of David, and a tour of the Uffizi Art Museum. Our guide had the tickets ahead of time , she was an art historian. We did both in about 3 hours. We then wandered by the cathedral and stopped at the outdoor market, and of course walked the Ponte Vecchio covered bridge.

Remember it will be really hot in August.

Does the SS offer tours to San Gimmignio walled town with high towers, or Volterra?Both smaller walled towns with lots of shops, artists in Volterra and Etruscan museum. Ask on the Port of Call or Trip advisor for more information on these town. What ever you do that day, you will have a great time exploring the cobblestone streets, eating at an outdoor cafe, drinking a wonderful glass of Italian wine and a cone of gelato.

I am on a small roll call on Viking Ocean. Smaller ships roll call are nothing like the ones for Celebrity!

posters with snide comments seem to be more prevalent on these luxury ship threads , don;t let it derail your great questions and your planning.

Thanks for your post. We have a small roll call and I think one couple is going to stay overnight in Tuscany.......so that

would be out......

There is another single gal going too......I could ask her if she wants to share in a private tour.....your tour with Guido sounds

LOVELY..........:).......does he work for a larger company or he has his own?

As for being hot in August? I live in Florida......I am used to August heat;)

I'd suggest you take a ship tour to Florence from Livorno. It's about 1.5 hours one way, and though the train is less expensive, I prefer knowing I will be back to the ship on time. I don't know the price of the SS excursions, but private tours to Florence from Livorno are not inexpensive. Florence is pedestrianized, and quite easy to do on your own, so we prefer a "Florence on your own" type excursion. The art in Florence at the Uffizi and Accademia is simply too much for a single day, and would leave little time to see all the stunning churches and the town itself. And the churches themselves are works of art full of art. You wouldn't want to miss the Duomo and Baptistry or Santa Croce, and when you tire of crowds Santa Maria Novella and the Boboli Gardens are much quieter.

Good morning, Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's, Grandmas, etc....(if you are a stepmom, replacing a mom, all of you)

Hope you have a wonderful day:D

Thanks for all the help. I decided to book a full day tour with the cruiseline to Florence with a ticket to the Accademia Museum.........this excursion is "Florence on Your Own". And I know DAVID is inside this museum.

Thank you again for the suggestions and help. I appreciate it:)