Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel?

Any information on this hotel will be helpful.. thanks

Patty

And you are wondering what I want to know.... how far is it to the cruise port? and is breakfast available? won't be there until Nov. but like to have my ducks in a row.. thanks...

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel?

Any information on this hotel will be helpful.. thanks

Patty

We have stayed there. At the time, it was the only hotel directly on the beach. It was the setting for the movie "Where The Boys Are".

It was the Yankee Clipper when we stayed there and it has been over 5 years I know.

And you are wondering what I want to know.... how far is it to the cruise port? and is breakfast available? won't be there until Nov. but like to have my ducks in a row.. thanks...

Much better, LOL! It is about 1.5 miles from the port entrance. Breakfast is served in the Mexican restaurant and internet cafe at the Sheraton and at the Bahia Cabana across the street. Some of the rooms are on the beach side of the street and some are across the street. It is about a mile or so to Beach Place, and there are lots of bars and restaurants along the way.

Double check your port of departure. You seem to think that you are leaving from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) but if you are booked on NCL (Norweigan Cruise Line) I bet you are departing from Port of Miami, which is about 40 miles south of Port Everglades!

Double check your port of departure. You seem to think that you are leaving from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) but if you are booked on NCL (Norweigan Cruise Line) I bet you are departing from Port of Miami, which is about 40 miles south of Port Everglades!

Disregard, I just saw your corrected post of 11 am.

We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on July 1 and returning July 8th.

Can anyone tell us what the best means of transportation from the cruise ship to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport for 7 ppl would be. We are two families, one set of 4 and one set of 3. Would it be better to book two separate sets of transportation or is there a more economical way for 7?

Please help.

Thank you.

Tigers2425

Lori

We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on July 1 and returning July 8th.

Can anyone tell us what the best means of transportation from the cruise ship to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport for 7 ppl would be. We are two families, one set of 4 and one set of 3. Would it be better to book two separate sets of transportation or is there a more economical way for 7?

Please help.

Thank you.

Tigers2425

Lori

It's only a couple of miles. Taxis are usually the most economical way to go. It you don't see any taxi vans (there aren't many) just take 2 or 3 taxis for about $15/each. Shuttles are less convenient and there is a charge per person.

Tonight we had a late-afternoon dinner at Bahia Cabana. We had fattening fish & chips but it was so tasty. We decided to get a little exercise and visit the hotels down that end. I've never been inside the Sheraton, so we went there and saw the famous bar with the view of the inside of the pool. The rest of the lobby is very updated. I've heard that the Mexican restaurant is very good. They had a choice of about 6 different tacos...impressive! Unfortunately it doesn't have a water view so I'm not tempted to go there. We walked over to the new infinity pool. It's very pretty and overlooks the beach. Then we walked over to the Marriott Harbor Beach. I love the hotel and the pool area...IMO it is the nicest pool deck in Fort Lauderdale (I also love the pool area at the W but the pool itself isn't that big). We watched the last ship of the day go out to sea (Allure). This Marriott is my favorite hotel in the area. If I was visiting during nice pool/beach weather, this hotel would be high on my list. It's not good for people who want to spend a lot of time around Beach Place but cannot walk 1.5 miles easily.

Royalcruz, thank you so much for all your shared knowledge. Now my question (sorry if this is a repeat :o) I am traveling in a party of 6. We want a hotel on the beach, but closer to the port. We already know that we will be taking a taxi, so the hotel doesn't need to supply shuttle service. BUT, we def want to be within walking distance of a place to buy last minute supplies. Thanks for any:o help!

Royalcruz, thank you so much for all your shared knowledge. Now my question (sorry if this is a repeat :o) I am traveling in a party of 6. We want a hotel on the beach, but closer to the port. We already know that we will be taking a taxi, so the hotel doesn't need to supply shuttle service. BUT, we def want to be within walking distance of a place to buy last minute supplies. Thanks for any:o help!

I think you want to be near CVS for toiletries, snacks, and basic wines...you can go to the liquor store a couple blocks west of the beach on Las Olas for liquor. Next to CVS is Marriott Beach Place and Ritz Carlton. The next closest hotels are Westin, Marriott Courtyard, W Hotel, Hilton, and Bahia Mar, in that approximate order. Sheraton, Marriott Harbor Beach, Atlantic and Best Western Oceanside are a much longer walk but are walkable by most able people. You'll be carrying stuff though. The Sun Trolley does the whole route and also goes to Publix and Total Wine at Harbor Shops.

We are a group of 12, with 7 children, going on the Allure in July. When we get back, we have a late flight. Does anyone have any suggestions what we can do all day with all these kids? Is there a tour that keeps your luggage for you, or maybe a hotel where we can get a day room? I really don't want to spend the day at the airport! Thanks, Jeanie

PS I'm sorry if this has been discussed already in the thread, but it overwhelms me to try to read the whole thing!

We are a group of 12, with 7 children, going on the Allure in July. When we get back, we have a late flight. Does anyone have any suggestions what we can do all day with all these kids? Is there a tour that keeps your luggage for you, or maybe a hotel where we can get a day room? I really don't want to spend the day at the airport! Thanks, Jeanie

PS I'm sorry if this has been discussed already in the thread, but it overwhelms me to try to read the whole thing!

Check out your ship's shore excursions for Fort Lauderdale. We have taken post cruise tours in the past which will keep your luggage for you under the bus in a locked baggage compartment. You won't see it again until you are dropped off at the airport at the tour's end. we have done this on several cruises and it is a nice way to end the vacation. RCI has several tours from which to choose. We will probably take an airboat excursion into the Everglades.:)

There are usually tours to everglades and Hollywood beach offered.

Has any one stayed at the Westin Hotel? If so what are your thoughts. And how much does it cost to take a cab from the airport and then a cab to the cruise Allure?

There are 2 Westins in Fort Lauderdale. One is at the beach a few miles from the port and airport ($15-20 cab rides). It is about a 40 yr old renovated Sheraton that was closed and completed done over about 5 yrs ago. It's nice and in a great location. The other is near I-95 about 10 miles north of the airport, about $35 cab rides. It is about 23 yrs old and is very nice but isn't near anything.

Edited by royalcruz

Would love advice on the best way to get to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando. We are staying at Pop Century and then staying at Gallery One in Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights before our Celebrity Cruise.

I know you are probably going to tell us (there is 2 of us) to rent a car. I'm from New Zealand and nervous about driving on the opposite side of the road to what I am used to. Is it an easy drive from Pop Century to Gallery One?

I would so appreciate any advice to tips.

Would love advice on the best way to get to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando. We are staying at Pop Century and then staying at Gallery One in Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights before our Celebrity Cruise.

I know you are probably going to tell us (there is 2 of us) to rent a car. I'm from New Zealand and nervous about driving on the opposite side of the road to what I am used to. Is it an easy drive from Pop Century to Gallery One?

I would so appreciate any advice to tips.

I understand your concern. I would be terrified to drive on the OTHER side of the road and don't think I ever will. I've driven this route before. It takes a little over 3.5 hours. Most of the traffic is local, getting from Lake Bueno Vista/Pop Century to the highway, then it's a breeze. I think there are Amtrak, Greyhound, and flight options too. There is also this service that will pick you up from your hotel and take you to Ft Lauderdale http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com/orlando-to-fort-lauderdale-transportation.html