Aquarium

BellaBaci4

Yes, adults would enjoy. Very close, but too far to walk. Taxi would be best and won't cost too much and would be 10 mins or less to get there. If there is a shuttle to the Quincy Market area you could take that and then walk, but that would take longer. Legal Seafood has a restaurant right across from the aquarium that you could grab a bite to eat at.

We are good walkers, have walked from Bruins stadium to the Barking Crab, is it further than that? We are on the Glory and will be walking to catch the Beantown shuttle bus and taking the harbor boat tour.

Every map we have stops just short of the dock [:rolleyes:] so it is hard to tell how many miles or blocks it is.

Taxi from the cruise pier to Long Wharf(Aquarium) would be about $13. The distance is 2.3 miles and it would be 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Clairescurtains - Some folks have commented that the "free" harbor tour that comes with the trolley pass can be time consuming. They run once an hour and are about 45 minutes, so if your timing is not good, you can spend well over an hour doing this. What I suggest if you really want to ride around the harbor a bit is to use Old Town Trolley, which has a stop at the cruise pier. Don't do Quincy Market first. Get off at stop 2 if you want to see the North End, then continue on to the Constitution (Stop 3). Then take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution back to Long Wharf for $1.70/pp. Walk back through Quincy Market and then on up to Stop 5 at State St and pick up the trolley there for the rest of the tour. The area between stops 3 and 5 on the trolley route is not that interesting. You will be able to see the Boston Garden from the trolley on your way to Charlestown.

Taxi from the cruise pier to Long Wharf(Aquarium) would be about $13. The distance is 2.3 miles and it would be 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Clairescurtains - Some folks have commented that the "free" harbor tour that comes with the trolley pass can be time consuming. They run once an hour and are about 45 minutes, so if your timing is not good, you can spend well over an hour doing this. What I suggest if you really want to ride around the harbor a bit is to use Old Town Trolley, which has a stop at the cruise pier. Don't do Quincy Market first. Get off at stop 2 if you want to see the North End, then continue on to the Constitution (Stop 3). Then take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution back to Long Wharf for $1.70/pp. Walk back through Quincy Market and then on up to Stop 5 at State St and pick up the trolley there for the rest of the tour. The area between stops 3 and 5 on the trolley route is not that interesting. You will be able to see the Boston Garden from the trolley on your way to Charlestown.

Thanks, but we have already booked Beantown trolley, we were there for two days last year and did Old Town so giving the other one a try.:) We were planning on being on the first boat but that might not happen if we decide to walk it.:o Since it is a little further than I want to walk right off the bat we may just do the cab as we are going to have the whole day exploring on foot and trolley.

Sounds like a plan. I'd contact Beantown Trolley - it looks like they have a shuttle that picks up at the Seaport Hotel, which would be a short walk from the pier. That would be another option to taking a cab to Faneuil Hall.

• 1 year later...

We are thinking of doing the whale watch from the aquarium.In port from 8-5.Whale watch starts at noon and lasts 3 hours.Enough time to get back to the port after the whale watch?

Laura

We are thinking of doing the whale watch from the aquarium.In port from 8-5.Whale watch starts at noon and lasts 3 hours.Enough time to get back to the port after the whale watch?

Laura

Three hours is only an estimate. They can be out there up to 4 hours sometimes. Then there is the potential of traffic getting back into the harbor. Whale watching boats would definitely be pushed farther down the list if, say, a cargo boat needed to get out of the harbor. You don't want to be watching your ship leaving from the whale watching boat, and believe me you'd have a pretty good view. Is there a 10 or 10:30 whale watch, and would it be possible for you to do it at that time? If one isn't offered through the Aquarium, also check Boston Harbor Cruises (I just did one through BHC and it was excellent, and I think it was about 3.5 hours.)

Archived