HELP on Carnival Fun Pass/Sign and Sail registration!

Cheenee

Need all you pros your advice! I am treating my office staff to a cruise this December. It's actually a surprise. They know we are going someplace but have no clue it's a cruise. So here's the dilemma. Being my first time, I booked it through our local TA. After I've done my research, I know it's a closed-loop cruise. I am fully aware that a passport is preferable but with this type of cruise, a BC & DL will do. I just can't seem to impose my staff to pay $100+ for a passport since I really don't want them to spend something that I know they'll probably not use. I am certain that cost wise, it's a little prohibitive for them now. Maybe I can convince at least a passport card, but still give them the choice. Anyway, my real question is this. Since this is a surprise, how can I check them in for the fun pass without asking for their credit card? Can I use mine first and have it changed when we are on board? Is it not worth the hassle and probably just face the longer check-in process on the day itself so that they can use their own credit card? I really, really want this to be a surprise for them! Telling them about the passport is almost giving away some clues and I don't want to ruin it. Suggestions please? My TA seems to be pushing on the passport like there's no other way (of course I understand his concern) and he says we will HAVE to ask their CC to register. So, is there really no other way? If we do the fun pass, what's the earliest recommended time and the latest time to register? Help please!

Cheene, I know you want this to be a surprise but when do you plan to tell them about this. Please keep in mind that some of them might not have a birth certificate and will have to order it which can take time.

I guess I'm thinking at some point you'll need to tell them about this and wouldn't it be better sooner rather than later and that way they will have the option to get a passport if they would like to and also you can then get them all signed in with their respective CC numbers.

Keith

I too think they will be better off learning about the fact it is a cruise sooner rather than later - even though you want to keep it a secret, it sounds like they know they are going someplace & I would hope they will be very happy & grateful no matter what.

The cost of a passport is not that much considering it will last 10 years, and these days it is getting to be more & more a necessity. Many may already have one.

I have checked my son in for the fun pass without putting a credit card number in, I just left the CC part blank because I had bought onboard credit vouchers for him to use. I was told I could set up a cash account for him at check in for the cruise, right before boarding. The bigger problem is you can't do the funpass without listing what sort of ID will be used - be it passport or whatever. You will need specifics on the ID to be used as well, for example if a passport then the passport number, year issued, expiration date etc. If someone you checked in turns up at the pier with different ID than specified on the fun pass, it will be big trouble. I think you should involve your lucky employees & let them handle the fun pass check in.

Have you thought of telling them they will be going out of the country OR just they will need a passport, if they have one, or certified birth certificate-NOT a hospital one. If they don't have a BC they can get one from the town in which they were born like I did. But, this takes time to get as does a passport.

Do you have everyone's cabin number? You need that to get the fun pass and luggage tags.

You do not have to get the fun pass way ahead. They could get it themselves even a few days berore sailing.

Just a couple of questions:

1. How are you handling the hotel service charge? Are you picking that up, or is it the employee's responsibility? If its up to the employee, your free vacation is now going to cost them around $100 for tips.

2. Are you paying for drinks, spa trips, etc? My guess is no, seeing how you want to bind their credit cards to their Fun Pass. I know if it were me, I'd like a heads up to save up for these expenses.

3. Where is the cruise going? Are you sure that none of your employees will have an issue leaving the country, or for that matter, entering the country during port stops?

As much as you'd like to keep it a surprise, I think you better tell them. You also don't want to show up at the dock, and have one of your employees freak out because they are scared to death of ships, and would never be able to step foot onboard.

I know you want this to be a great surprise, but there are a few things to consider that may take time for your staff to adjust to. Documentation is one. Since you want them to use their credit cards onboard, that means they might have to plan ahead for saving that spending money. And what if someone is prone to motion sickness? Has a fear of being on the open water in a boat? Perhaps someone cannot travel outside the US? How will they know what to pack? Will they need trip insurance, perhaps they have family at home with issues.

You are wonderful for trying to make this a surprise, but unless you know them all well enough to pack for them, take the right meds, get the right documents, and allay all fears upfront, it would be a kindness to give them the surprise far enough in advance to allow them to make individual accommodations for their unique situations.

While this is a wonderful idea, you absolutely cannot keep it a secret. Unless you know about the personal lives of every employee, an international travel vacation is not something you can keep until the last minute. There are so many what ifs, such as: Are they allowed to bring their kids, and if not, will they have time to make arrangements? If they have responsibilities at home, such as an elderly parent they take care of, they will need time to handle that. Will you be paying for their travel insurance, and if not, does your company's health plan cover out of country emergencies? Do you know if every person has a birth certificate? If not, depending on where a person was born, it could take weeks to get one. How do you know every person has enough disposable cash to pay for the extras? What about packing? You can't spring a last minute trip on them and not allow the the time for packing and preparation.

Some more questions for the list:

Cancellation and Medical Insurance >any pre-existing medical conditions

Visas and entry to foreign countries >any previous criminal convictions (problem seen recently on this site)

Anyone prone to seasickness might want to get advice from their doctor.

Otherwise it sounds like a fantastic reward for your employees. Good luck.

I think you should tell them too. There are too many scenarios you could run in to. Plus unless you are paying for excursions, tips etc they will definitely need to have some money. That said I did take my husband on a surprise cruise long before we were married. I gave him an idea of how much money he'd need. I told him he would need a passport. I think I even told him we'd be going out of the country. I brought seasickness medication with me just in case he got sick I'd have some(even though most cruises sell it onboard these days). If you insist on keeping it a secret you can but I don't think there is any way to avoid giving them more information than you have. If it were me I'd probably gather my staff for a meeting and play a game of charades or win lose, or draw, give each employee a "cruise clue" in the room. Let them figure it out. You can still creatively surprise them with it even if you tell them in advance.

Thanks for all your reply. I guess I didn't give enough details. Well, it's a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas from Port Canaveral. We went to a dinner cruise before and they loved it so that answers how they feel about being in a boat.

These are four ladies that I know well and they know we are traveling out of state (as in flying) and as a side trip, we'll be crossing the border. Two got BC which they got from City Hall (went with them during lunch break), one has a passport and the other is getting a passport (she's planning to go to Mexico). I am trying to convince the other 2 to get a passport card instead ( if they still think the $100+++ is steep).

Yes, their flight and hotel are all paid for. The only thing they need is pocket money for the trip (which of course they know) so that's why this is an issue because I don't want to be asking their CC for the fun pass registration.

On the last day of the cruise, we're going to DisneyWorld (yes, a surprise too)

and that's all arranged through Disney Vacations. Then, we head home a day

later.

That's the whole itinerary of our Christmas/office trip. Most Christmas, I plan

a surprise for them such as dinner with broadway shows (the dinner cruise was

one of them and Vegas-which I told them a week before) Some have never

been to Disney and others were there since they were children (they're age

ranges from late 30's to 50's). They even said "Take me with you!" when one

acquaintance said they were going to WDW recently. Now, WDW was just an afterthought but why not? We're already in Orlando so might as well check it out! Anyway, these ladies truly deserve this treat specially this year (some going through personal issues- separation/divorce and one just had a vacation from hell with her hubby and swear never to take a vacation with him!) and that's why I really don't want to give away this surprise! Thanks for being patient!

A passport CARD is only good for driving across the border.

Don't worry about anything but the BCs and DLs...thats ALL they need.

And, by NOT telling them, you're depriving them of the fun of planning! Tell them so they can enjoy the anticipation!!!!

Thanks for all your reply. I guess I didn't give enough details. Well, it's a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas from Port Canaveral. We went to a dinner cruise before and they loved it so that answers how they feel about being in a boat.

These are four ladies that I know well and they know we are traveling out of state (as in flying) and as a side trip, we'll be crossing the border. Two got BC which they got from City Hall (went with them during lunch break), one has a passport and the other is getting a passport (she's planning to go to Mexico). I am trying to convince the other 2 to get a passport card instead ( if they still think the $100+++ is steep).

Yes, their flight and hotel are all paid for. The only thing they need is pocket money for the trip (which of course they know) so that's why this is an issue because I don't want to be asking their CC for the fun pass registration.

On the last day of the cruise, we're going to DisneyWorld (yes, a surprise too)

and that's all arranged through Disney Vacations. Then, we head home a day

later.

That's the whole itinerary of our Christmas/office trip. Most Christmas, I plan

a surprise for them such as dinner with broadway shows (the dinner cruise was

one of them and Vegas-which I told them a week before) Some have never

been to Disney and others were there since they were children (they're age

ranges from late 30's to 50's). They even said "Take me with you!" when one

acquaintance said they were going to WDW recently. Now, WDW was just an afterthought but why not? We're already in Orlando so might as well check it out! Anyway, these ladies truly deserve this treat specially this year (some going through personal issues- separation/divorce and one just had a vacation from hell with her hubby and swear never to take a vacation with him!) and that's why I really don't want to give away this surprise! Thanks for being patient!

WOW! Can I work for you? Are you hiring?:p:D

Archived