Seavis Saona Island question

klhage89

Was wondering how rough the trip is with Seavis to Saona Island. Our family would like to book this trip, however, our 82 yr old lady friend who will be traveling with us would like to join us. She is in pretty good shape and did the walk with the stingrays 2 years ago, however, I don't want to worry about her. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

The areas to be concerned about are these:

1) Entry into and exit from the boat from shore in Bayahibe and at Saona - This is extremely ease as you are just stepping into the rear of the boat from the shore so no worries.

2) The fast ride between the stops -

The boats ride low to the water and are pretty stable and flat-riding, There can be some bumps however, Nothing to jostle you around on a typical day, but with rougher weather that could be more "adventurous". But we would also consider this a "no worries" deal.

3) Exit and entry back into the boat at the Natural Pool -

You're in waist-deep water and getting back in isn't really that hard but it is harder than from the shore. But the staff is excellent and will help anyone needing that.

I think if she's in decent shape she will really enjoy this excursion with the rest of you.

Have fun - great day! ;)

And she doesn't have to get out of the boat at the Natural Pool if she doesn't feel comfortable with that, it's still a great day with a ride through the mangroves and along the rocks with a nice beach and an excellent lunch and love the rum & cokes!

We just did the tour last week. It was great! The boat ride is bumpy and it may slam down a few times. Also the seating is very tight. After a half hour or so we were all done and just wanted to GTHO of the thing. However, the island was fun, food was good and the sandbar starfish time was fantastic.

I agree the boat loading & unloaded may be tough for someone her age, but the 3 man crew is right there to assist anyone. My dad went. He is 74 next month, but is pretty active and had a boat for many years.

P1060485_exposure-1.jpg

P1060507_exposure.jpg

P1060512_exposure.jpg

P1060491_exposure.jpg

The only time it would be harder to get back in the boat is at the natural pool, and we weren't slammin' much but really depends on the seas that day.

Great day!

We also took the Pro Excursions luxury catamaran "Quetzal" to Catalina Island and cruised the River Chavon and Casa De Campo and that was a very, very, very nice and relaxing day. ;)

Yes, they will give you gear. I had my own but dad got his from the tour people (no charge). They pier had a bunch of fish but mostly they were all sargent majors by the deep pilings. Closer to the rocks near the shore had more diversity. I saw a skate & a sharptail eel near there and some various other smaller fish.

• 1 month later...

This site shows the details for the Saona Island excursion, I had posted their home page link so wentworth and others could see that they offer more than that for cruise pax.

Here's the link showing all of the options -

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm

Another excellent outfit, as mentioned earlier, is Pro Excursions. Check them both to see what interests you. But the Saona excursion with Seavis is a great day! ;)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 months later...

For those that have done the Saona Carnival Special Tour...

Our ship is in port 9-4. In your opinion is there enough time to do The Saona Carnival Special Tour. It looks like if everything goes according to schedule you get back around 15:15. Seems a little close.

Thanks

Edited by l2f

I was concerned also some time ago and got this reply from Ingrid at Seavis

For the ships with other arrival/departure times: we'll fit the excursion within the port times of the ship!!!

So no worries. if the ship leaves at 4:00pm, we will be back in Bayahibe at 2:15pm.