What classifies as the "Inside passage" exactly?

trident777

I am on the Sapphire princess leaving Whittier and arriving in Vancouver... the spots we will be hitting are Glacier Bay NP, Hubbard Glacier and an at sea day sailing between Ketchikan and Vancouver.

Which part of this cruise classifies as the "Inside passage"? Is it the area between Vancouver island and the BC mainland on the journey from Ketchikan to Vancouver?

With the exception of your first portion from Whittier across the Gulf, your entire cruise will most likely be in the inside passage. It extends from Seattle to Skagway. The portion east of Vancouver Island is also the inside passage although just a small portion of the entire passage. Cruising through Johnstone Strait is a treat if you are able to go through during the day.

Glaciers, thanks!

I calculated that Johnstone strait is about 200 miles by the passage from Vancouver. The ship arrives in Vancouver at 7:30am and at 20-25 knots speed i'm guessing it will be in Johnstone strait 10 hours or so prior or perhaps even earlier so should be during daylight hours.

Glaciers, thanks!

I calculated that Johnstone strait is about 200 miles by the passage from Vancouver. The ship arrives in Vancouver at 7:30am and at 20-25 knots speed i'm guessing it will be in Johnstone strait 10 hours or so prior or perhaps even earlier so should be during daylight hours.

Your assumption is faulty and too simplistic. Routes and times can and do vary significantly. What will dictate more than anything will be Seymour Narrows. It is far more complicated than just "figuring" out distance and knots.

My range of ship differences has been to have been all the way back seeing the lights of Vancouver in the distance during dinner to being dark passing Port Hardy.

I know many landmarks, which allows me good judgement on what I want to see, and I also, don't hesistate to send messages to the bridge. Especially important, get friendly with the ship naturalist, and tune into the multiple, well informed repeaters.

Archived