Machu Pichu

Hawaiidan

I am interested in doing a tour of Machu Pichu on a cruise next year as the ship stops in the area for 3 days

From those of you who have done it, would you stick with the ships tours or would or have you booked a private tour that you liked.

Do you remember the costs of the ship and vs the doing your own arrangement and how it worked out?

Thanks for any advice

I am interested in doing a tour of Machu Pichu on a cruise next year as the ship stops in the area for 3 days

From those of you who have done it, would you stick with the ships tours or would or have you booked a private tour that you liked.

Do you remember the costs of the ship and vs the doing your own arrangement and how it worked out?

Thanks for any advice

There are two options for Machu Picchu, the standard priced at $3199 and the Deluxe Priced at $4299. The second gets you a ride on the Hiram Bingham luxury train and two nights at the Monasterio Hotel in Cuzco.

Terri

I REALLY wanted to do this but HAL charges a stupid price for this $3200 for the cheap seats. I've also hear that transportation is not reliable so it's pretty hard to do on your own. It's much cheaper if you do it on your own from what I've heard. I found Lima to be an amazing place I don't regret my decision not to go to Machu one bit. I did a few things while I was there but one shorex I did through HAL was a dinner at a mansion. That was SO amazing!

There are plenty of good private tours available for Machu Pichu. look for tours that will stay in Cusco at the Monestario hotel, ride the train to M/P and then be sure to stay overnight at M/P so you can enjoy the ancient city when the crowds are gone. It is a unique experience that you need to savor. don't rush through it. Take your time and enjoy!

We've decided not to do Machu Picchu as part of a cruise. The time of year that the cruises are near there is the rainy season. We've instead planned a trip to Peru on our own. It is 17 days and will cost both of us about what HAL wants for their 2-night tour for one of us. Our plans even have us at the Santuary Lodge (right next to the ruins) for three nights. We'll be able to see it without as many crowds and visit more of Peru too. If you really want to see Machu Picchu, consider doing it on a separate trip. On the cruise do as Lorekauf suggests and spend the time in Lima.

We've decided not to do Machu Picchu as part of a cruise. The time of year that the cruises are near there is the rainy season. We've instead planned a trip to Peru on our own. It is 17 days and will cost both of us about what HAL wants for their 2-night tour for one of us. Our plans even have us at the Santuary Lodge (right next to the ruins) for three nights. We'll be able to see it without as many crowds and visit more of Peru too. If you really want to see Machu Picchu, consider doing it on a separate trip. On the cruise do as Lorekauf suggests and spend the time in Lima.

Agree 100% with you. I'd originally looked into both Machu Picchu and Angkor Wat as part of a cruise, then realized that a) the price of the excursion is sky-high, and b) I wouldn't really have enough time at the site to get my fill, as it were. In both cases, land tours of considerably longer length, including airfare to and from the US, costs about the same as the short, cruise-offered tour.

We did not do the Hal trip, but our TA researched a trip for us at half the price. We decided it was all too strenuous for us, so did museums and tours of Lima. I second the dinner at the Mansion. It was a lovely experience and a good tour of the city as well. It's lovely in the square at night.

Some people did tours of their own, and were back in time for boarding.

Be aware you are docked in a container port and have to take shuttles to the gate if not on a tour. Some taxis left the passengers a couple of blocks from the gates, and they were robbed. If you take a taxi on your own, don't get out until you're at the gates!

Not a lot was available to do on the ship for those days and evenings.

People who boarded in Lima had done a week or so on their own, and cruised back to San Diego. They were all happy with their time there and had a broader experience.

Thanks for any advice

Just as an FYI, Last week it was on the news that several hundred tourists had been turned away at Machu Pichu because they came on their own without pre purchased tickets. I remember the news stated that their was near rioting as people were yelling and screaming that they were told by TA's (not sure of nationality(s) that they did not need to pre purchase:(

Might be one heck of an expensive cruise if you do not get to go where you really want to because you went cheap (NOT calling any one cheap, just trying to make a point)

Joanie

We went to MP in May after disembarking from the Rotterdam in Lima. I would probably be nervous doing it on our own if we had a ship to catch! All our travel worked out as per plan but one never knows., apart from being bused back from Ollaytaytambo as the tracks were closed to Cusco by a slide. Doing it on our own was probably half the cost of the ships tour.

We had a great time and can definitely recommend a trip to MP if possible. It was amazing.

We went to MP in May after disembarking from the Rotterdam in Lima. I would probably be nervous doing it on our own if we had a ship to catch! All our travel worked out as per plan but one never knows., apart from being bused back from Ollaytaytambo as the tracks were closed to Cusco by a slide. Doing it on our own was probably half the cost of the ships tour.

We had a great time and can definitely recommend a trip to MP if possible. It was amazing.

Thats the best way to do it as you don't have the issue of catching the ship again.

Kirk

We had a lot of people off our cruise do this three day holiday. First, get a good tour compay, check trip advisor, have them schedule your journey, companies like condor, a&f do first class journeys, best hotel, hb train and the like. It will be a short time unless, like some you join a the next port and extend you journey to the great sites in the valley. Check the South American board, lots of info there.

Hi check out this web site machupicch-inca.com and perurail site.

We are thinking about going on the 27 day panama canal and chile cruise Oct. 24,2012

This itineary arrives in Callao (Lima) at 10am and departs the next day at 5pm. Looking at taking the vista dome there and return trip on the expedtion because of the time.

What cruise are you taking?

Thanks for the super good information....I did research some ot the companies and found their prices and schedules to be half of the Ships.

As a fail safe If I miss the ship, I even figured in air fare and hotel to the nest ship port... and its still way less than the ships.. $6500 !!! for 2 like thousands less !!!

Going with a top notch company, that knows the ship schedule and till having a reserve to fly to the next port is the way I will go

Thank you all

We did it on our own this Feb....if you have time after MP, visit Lake Titicaca and La Paz Bolivia. A once in a lifetime experience and plan on a full day at MP as the clouds and mist can be a problem getting pictures. Enjoy

Thanks for the super good information....I did research some ot the companies and found their prices and schedules to be half of the Ships.

As a fail safe If I miss the ship, I even figured in air fare and hotel to the nest ship port... and its still way less than the ships.. $6500 !!! for 2 like thousands less !!!

Going with a top notch company, that knows the ship schedule and till having a reserve to fly to the next port is the way I will go

Thank you all

Can anyone recommend a tour company to start the search?? We are going in March 2012 on the Veendam..?

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a tour company to start the search?? We are going in March 2012 on the Veendam..?

Thanks

I have gotten a quote but cannot post it here. It is much cheaper than HAL's tour.

However if you go to the roll call thread-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1365749

you will find my post about the tour company with whom I have been in touch.

Terri

We did Machu Picchu as a Princess post cruise tour. I would do the tour again in a minute! Our tour was around $4000.00. The tour included a transfer(guided tour) to the Santiago airport, plane tickets to Lima, 2 nights hotel in Lima, roundtrip air tickets to Cuzco from Lima, 3 nights hotel in Cuzco, rt Hiram Bingham to Machu Picchu and entrance fees to Machu Picchu. This was a once in a lifetime trip for us. The Hiram Bingham owned by the Orient Express is wonderful!!!

I just finished reading "Turn Right at Machu Picchu". It's a must read for anyone going to Machu Picchu. It was just published so the info is current. BTW the hotel at Machu Picchu can cost $800 a night. The author ordered his Machu Picchu tickets 3 months in advance. Certain dates have more demand than others. As said earlier you just can't "show up " at Machu Picchu anymore.

The hotel at Machu Picchu is $925 per night but that inclides 3 meals a day and it is right at the entrance ... no train or bus.

Best prices I can find for a professonal class trip ar2 about $2000 per person per day. Thats for 2 persons if there are more the price comes down !!!

VS thr ships 3200 to 4500 per person

I am on the 31 day 2013 Veendam in visiting April 17-18-19 Lima in Salavary out

The hotel at Machu Picchu is $925 per night but that inclides 3 meals a day and it is right at the entrance ... no train or bus.
Yes, that is the Santuary Lodge where we're staying. However, you still have to take the train and bus to get to it. Once at the Santuary Lodge you won't need the bus to get to the ruins. You'll still need to bus again back down the hill to the train station for the ride back to Cusco, where the closest airport is located.

Thanks for any advice

We're doing HALs 5-night Machu Picchu pre-cruise tour as part of our Incan Empires tour departing Lima on Feb 18, 2012. Here's the link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetailsPackages.action?destCode=S&portCode=CA2&shipCodeSearch=&durationCode=3&dateCode=2_2012&flexibleMonths=true&noOfFlexibleMonths=3&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=T211B. Cost is $2,000 per person.

We, too, have traveled in Peru on our own, and I believe that our three-week trip, which included a private guide: Lima (Miraflores), Cuzco, Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca cost less than the short tour offered by the cruise line.

Peru is an utterly fascinating and amazing country, and we hope to return, because we feel as if we barely scratched the surface. I can't imagine seeing Cuzco, and Machu Picchu in just two or three days.

Archived