Sojoun stop in GOZO-Question

marypatrick

We will be on a Mediterranean Isle cruise this fall. The stop in Gozo says Xlendi/Victoria as the port call. Does anyone who may hae takn this cruise know whether the ship docks in Xlendi harbor or Mgaar? if in Xlendi, are there any transportation options to get to Vitoria. They do list this stop as using a tender. Does the ship offer a shuttle to Victoria .We really don't like any of the excursion options listed.

Thanks

The main reaso for the stop in Gozo is to occupy guests until ealy afternoon, when the ship can sail to Valetta and then enter the Grand Harbour as the sun is setting. It is one of the most magnificent sail ins that I have experienced - even though I know Malta well from land visits.

When we visited, we were at Xlendi. A local music group were on the dock. There were taxis available at a good price, and we did a DIY trip to Ggantija, which I think is the greatest of all of Malta's wonderful prehistoric sites. I do not recall a ship's shuttle.

There were no shuttles. Our ship was scheduled for Xlendi, but actually tendered in Mgaar.

We enjoyed the "Victoria's secrets" excursion offered. It goes to Ggantija as well as Victoria.

Edited by marazul

Gozo is a pretty little place, but you do need a car, although they have a hop on hop off bus. If you do end up in Victoria there is a market square and quite a few interesting shops in the backstreets there behind it , which lead to St Georges Sq where you can get a drink at a cafe. The quaint streets down the side of St George's Basilica are worth a wander and in my book, more interesting than the Citadel. There is not much to see at the latter and its quite a climb.

Edited by marama

I'm thinking of taking a cruise that does the same thing (Xlendi the first day and then 6 PM into Valletta with an overnight) and was wondering if it was possible to get off the ship in Gozo/Xlendi and make my own way over to Valletta and meet up with the ship (of course letting the ships crew know of my plans)?

My thinking was spend the morning on Gozo and then taking the Mgarr ferry over to Cirkewwa and then tour the northern part of the island, stop for dinner in Mdina, and then meet the ship in Valletta at night. Just seems a better use of time...

Yes that would be possible and as you say better use of the time but it will be your responsibility to get back to the ship in good time before it sails out of Valletta

Edited by Mr Luxury