Saint John, NB local tours

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:14 PM.
#1
Kansas
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Does anyone know of a local tour similar to the St. Martins/Bay of Fundy tour offered by cruise ships? What local tour companies have you used that you would recommend? Other tour recommendations at Saint John? We enjoy the local flavor versus the high-priced cruise ship tours.
#2
Saint John, NB
769 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Kansas Lady
Does anyone know of a local tour similar to the St. Martins/Bay of Fundy tour offered by cruise ships? What local tour companies have you used that you would recommend? Other tour recommendations at Saint John? We enjoy the local flavor versus the high-priced cruise ship tours.
If you are touring the historic neighborhood where the ship docks, you can do that on your own. The city provides walking maps for a few different routes. If you are thinking St. Martin's, the tour operators available are all being used by the ship, so I doubt anything is available for "walk up" tours. Alternatively, you can take a taxi tour to St. Martin's for a set hourly rate, but I would suggest you would have a better experience on a guided tour with others (which stops for chowder I hear).

Off the cruise ship there is a van the offers tours to St. Martin's, however it is not clear whether this person has commercial insurance to offer tours for compensation. In the unfortunate situation of an accident, you would have no coverage. Always ask to see proof of commercial insurance if you are doing it on your own with a local - its not they are being deceitful, they are actually genuinely interested in showing pax around - they are just not aware of the requirements to do this.

If you have a group of 10 people or more, Aquila tours could arrange something in advance - their number is 506.633.1224

I'm not a fan of cruise ship tours either because of the price. However, if it is for St. Martin's, I would buy the tour from the ship. Anything else you can certainly do on your own, for free.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess
Rhapsody of the Sea
Golden Princess
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Millenium (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Celebrity Millenium (Caribbean)
#3
Naples, FL
603 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Is this a place where it is convenient to rent a car and do this on your own
By that I mean, are the car rental places easily accessed?
#4
Saint John, NB
769 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by halbfl2
Is this a place where it is convenient to rent a car and do this on your own
By that I mean, are the car rental places easily accessed?
AVIS is across the street and 1 block over from cruise ship. Hertz and Budget are another block or two away. Enterprise is a 15 min walk from ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess
Rhapsody of the Sea
Golden Princess
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Millenium (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Celebrity Millenium (Caribbean)
#5
Arlington VA
27 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Acey,
I have a couple more questions: I asked you about going to Fundy National Park, but maybe it's called Irving Nature Park. RC offers a pricey tour ($68) for three hours to the falls and hike through the nature park. I'm thinking of taking a taxi there. Do you know how long it would take to get there?
Cheers,
Maggie in VA
#6
New Brunswick, Canada
9,588 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Arlington VA
Acey,
I have a couple more questions: I asked you about going to Fundy National Park, but maybe it's called Irving Nature Park. RC offers a pricey tour ($68) for three hours to the falls and hike through the nature park. I'm thinking of taking a taxi there. Do you know how long it would take to get there?
Cheers,
Maggie in VA
Fundy National Park is just that---it is a national park---just like the US has national parks---it would be over an hour's drive away and would be quite costly in a taxi. The Irving Nature Park is about ten minutes away from the port by taxi and offers a hiking trail with beautiful views of the Bay of Fundy. It takes a few hours to hike your way around the trail. You would probably need a cell phone to have a taxi pick you up when you are done as the last time I was there there were no phones. Also, take water and snacks as there is no place to buy them. There is a trail washroom at one of the picnic sites.
The Reversing Falls is about five minutes away by taxi and is on the way to the Irving Nature Park. If it is a nice day you could walk to the Reversing Falls along Harbour Passage---about half an hour. You would need a cell phone to have a taxi pick you up at the Falls Park and then take you to the Irving Park. To get to the falls------ When you are almost at the end of Harbour Passage (by the observation deck with the blue roof) climb up the stairs and cross the road at the traffic light. Go up the hill (Bentley Street) to the top and turn left (Douglas Avenue). Walk along until you come to the street that goes into the falls on the right. It is called Fallsview Terrace or something of that nature.
To find Harbour Passage------just leave the ship, turn left and walk up to the Hilton. Start walking on the boardwalk behind the Hilton. You can see the Hilton from the deck of the ship when it docks----just look off the bow, straight ahead.
#7
Saint John, NB
769 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Arlington VA
Acey,
I have a couple more questions: I asked you about going to Fundy National Park, but maybe it's called Irving Nature Park. RC offers a pricey tour ($68) for three hours to the falls and hike through the nature park. I'm thinking of taking a taxi there. Do you know how long it would take to get there?
Cheers,
Maggie in VA
Why would they charge $68 to walk through or observe nature??? I would recommend walking to the Reversing Falls, or cab it, then take a cab to Irving Nature Park http://www.ifdn.com/inp/
The park is for people that enjoy nature, quiet and hiking (and photo ops) as there is nothing else there. Its a place to get away fron the crowd.
As Sapper1 mentions, plan on 3 hours if you wish to do the whole trail that circles the park with nice view of the bay. There are several points along the trail you can exit onto a road that exits the park if you tire. A snack to enjoy at one of the picnic areas overlooking the water is also a great idea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess
Rhapsody of the Sea
Golden Princess
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Millenium (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Celebrity Millenium (Caribbean)
#8
St. Martins, NB
162 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Some people take cabs to St. Martins. I think they charge about $50 an hour. Freedom tours offers a tour from the cruise ship terminal for $65 with lunch or $55 without.
#9
New Brunswick, Canada
9,588 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Acey
Why would they charge $68 to walk through or observe nature??? I would recommend walking to the Reversing Falls, or cab it, then take a cab to Irving Nature Park http://www.ifdn.com/inp/
The park is for people that enjoy nature, quiet and hiking (and photo ops) as there is nothing else there. Its a place to get away fron the crowd.
As Sapper1 mentions, plan on 3 hours if you wish to do the whole trail that circles the park with nice view of the bay. There are several points along the trail you can exit onto a road that exits the park if you tire. A snack to enjoy at one of the picnic areas overlooking the water is also a great idea.
Until you pointed it out Acey, I wasn't struck by the outlandish "per person" price for the tour. Considering that neither park charges admission I don't know how the cruise line justifies the expense.

It is nice to see someone else from SJ who takes a big interest in helping visitors to the city. What part of SJ do you live in? We live in the Millidgeville area.
#10
Saint John, NB
769 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by sapper1
Until you pointed it out Acey, I wasn't struck by the outlandish "per person" price for the tour. Considering that neither park charges admission I don't know how the cruise line justifies the expense.

It is nice to see someone else from SJ who takes a big interest in helping visitors to the city. What part of SJ do you live in? We live in the Millidgeville area.
Hey there,
I'm on Orange St uptown
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess
Rhapsody of the Sea
Golden Princess
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Millenium (Mediterranean)
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Legend
Carnival Liberty
Celebrity Millenium (Caribbean)
#12
Arlington VA
27 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Thanks for the info. I agree that the ship tours are overpriced, which is why so many people go online to find out what to do independently. Thanks for making this work and let me know if you have questions about visiting Washington DC.
#13
New Brunswick, Canada
9,588 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Arlington VA
Thanks for the info. I agree that the ship tours are overpriced, which is why so many people go online to find out what to do independently. Thanks for making this work and let me know if you have questions about visiting Washington DC.
You are so welcome!!!!---I actually have visited DC and enjoyed it thoroughly!!!!