Best Places To Stay Pre and Post Cruise

Len3

We're flying into Athens 4 days pre-cruise and staying for 4 days post cruise in Instanbul - any suggestions on where to stay in both locations?

Are we giving ourselves more time than needed in either place?

Of course, some will disagree, but I think you can see everything in both cities in three days, unless you want to spend an entire day in some museums.

When I am choosing a place to stay, I always go to tripadvisor.com and read the hotel reviews for the appropriate cities.

I wouldn't spend more than two days in Athens. We stayed at Hotel Plaka, and wished we would have splurged for the Grande Bretagne.

In Istanbul, we loved the Hotel Nena. We spent four nights there, which was about right.

• 3 months later...
I wouldn't spend more than two days in Athens. We stayed at Hotel Plaka, and wished we would have splurged for the Grande Bretagne.

In Istanbul, we loved the Hotel Nena. We spent four nights there, which was about right.

Hello kimiata:

We're sailing out of Athens on the Wind Spirit July 10th and I'm thinking of booking the Grande Bretagne. Anyone have other suggestions - Piraeus is awful but any hotels there that one would stay in - pre cruise?

However, wondering if there could be disruption to transportation links to the harbour if we stay at the G. Bretagne? Anyone know a good Athens taxi firm? Or has been to Athens lately to let us know what's happening? I've been all over the web and I find very little current info.

Thanks Cruise Critics,

Hi Librarygirl,

Take a look at the tripadvisor forums and hotel reviews for Athens and Istanbul in terms of searching for a hotel pre and post cruise.

We are sailing on July 31st from Athens and staying 2 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. We selected the Grande Bertagne in Athens and a small boutique hotel in Istanbul, Hotel Djem (actually the majority of hotels in Istanbul are boutique hotels).

I suggest you book an Istanbul hotel ASAP as the good ones fill up during the summer. There are a few large luxury chains - but their rates are crazy (check the four seasons - I think it starts at $700/night).

Deciding on a hotel in Istanbul was the hardest thing I have done... there are so many and they all look so much the same with none of them offering everything. I was recommended to stay in Sultanahmet (the old city) as the majority of the major attractions are within walking distance.

As for strife in Athens, check the tripadvisor forums. From what I have read it is pretty much a non-event and it certainly hasn't scared me off staying right in the thick of things!

Archived