Aircraft seats? I think we'll be on mailbags!

When I booked our cruise last week the flights from Glasgow to Majorca were shown as British Airways!. I thought that was unusual for Thomsons. The next day they were "to be advised". Now they are showing as Europe Air Post!

They are apparently a French company whose main business is mail and parcel freight! They do have some passenger planes too thank goodness.

On top of all that according to their website the baggage allowance is only 15kg?!:eek:

Has anyone had experience of this company?

Hi. I work in the industry and I'm very familiar with French Airpost. They're French airline and operate under exactly the same exacting regulations as all other airlines in Europe and have been flying for over 20 years.

Just like Jet2 they operate a combination of 737-300s and 737-300QC (quick change) so they can convert easily from cargo to passenger flights and because of the way the cabin is, and they cargo door is concealed, you'll never know the difference! Many Jet2 planes fly passengers during the day, then post at night.

They usually operate a buy on board service just like Thomson Airways. If you go europeairpost.com you can see a menu and even a virtual tour of their aircraft. If you're at all concerned, don't be. They've been flying this year transatlantic on the 737 from GLA without any problems and have a great safety record.

Air Contractors are their parent company, and Aer Lingus use them for a lot of their US/Canada flights now so they must be good if a national carrier is using them.

My advice is take Euro as I am not totally sure if they take £ for the onboard catering. If your ticketing says 20KG then that should be what you're entitled to. The 15KG may just be a standard for passengers who buy flights with Europe Airpost. However as you're on a charter, those chartering state what the allowance is. If there's any doubt, get it In writing from Thomson.

And have a great flight and holiday.

Edited by FOD1984

Thank you so much FOD 1984, that has put my mind at rest! I'm sure they'll be fine and if Thomsons charter the plane then the baggage should be ok too.

Last year we were with JetAirFly from Edinburgh whom we had never heard of either at the time but they were very good, the plane looked almost new. We did have a slightly smaller hand baggage allowance with them which wasn't a problem.

Thanks again,

Sheila

Thank you so much FOD 1984, that has put my mind at rest! I'm sure they'll be fine and if Thomsons charter the plane then the baggage should be ok too.

Last year we were with JetAirFly from Edinburgh whom we had never heard of either at the time but they were very good, the plane looked almost new. We did have a slightly smaller hand baggage allowance with them which wasn't a problem.

Thanks again,

Sheila

JetAirFly is Tui's own Belgian airline.

As FOD1984 mentioned, Europe Air Post have Quick Change (QC) aircraft, just like Jet 2. It's absolutely incredible to watch. There is a cargo door on the side of the aircraft, and all the seats and flooring is removed in about half an hour to turn it into a cargo plane. I guess this is how Jet2 maximise their fleet by flying passengers during the day and Royal Mail cargo through the night.

This video shows how they convert a QC 737 easily

When I booked our cruise last week the flights from Glasgow to Majorca were shown as British Airways!. I thought that was unusual for Thomsons. The next day they were "to be advised". Now they are showing as Europe Air Post!

They are apparently a French company whose main business is mail and parcel freight! They do have some passenger planes too thank goodness.

On top of all that according to their website the baggage allowance is only 15kg?!:eek:

Has anyone had experience of this company?

Hi Sheila

Have just been looking at holidays from Glasgow to Palma for next summer and notice that Dream and Island Escape are scheduled for Europe Air Post for the whole season.:eek: With Europe Air Post there appear to be no flight extras whatsoever (seats together, extra leg room, extra luggage) which would make think that along with less hold baggage the hand baggage will also be reduced.:eek:

So... checked the same holidays from Edinburgh and all flights are with Thomson Airways. Might be worth changing your airport if feasible.:)

Hi skioncruises. Yes, Edinburgh is slightly closer for us but I was put off by the 05.40 departure!:eek: I presume I would have to pay £50 to change but it might not be any dearer than paying for extra baggage. Will have to look into doing that.

Then again they could still change the Edinburgh one as well!

Edited by Sheila49

Hi skioncruises. Yes, Edinburgh is slightly closer for us but I was put off by the 05.40 departure. I presume I would have to pay £50 to change but it might not be any dearer than paying for extra baggage. Will have to look into doing that.

Then again they could still change the Edinburgh one as well!

Hi Sheila

Edinburgh is closer for us but we prefer Glasgow as we usually go through the night before and stay at the Holiday Inn Express. However, to get the Thomson flights we would definitely opt for Edinburgh if luggage allowance was restricted. One week - 15 kg maybe yes, but two weeks no way. Don't think they will change the flights and if they did I would think there would be ructions especially if the holiday was sold with the extras. Their site is rather sneaky in not mentioning the lack of extras on the Europe Air Post.:eek:

The positive of Edinburgh is that if the flight is 5.40 it means in Palma and on the ship by 11am. You could get your head down for a snooze and then be ready to party later.;):)

Edited by skioncruises