validating train tickets

mafiadon

I purchased my train tickets on line and printed them at home, so they are just on computer paper. Do these tickets need to be put in those yellow boxes and to be stamped like regular train thickets or can I just bring them on board and show the conductor. I don't want to get a fine. Another question I purchased all 4 tickets together so I assuming that all for tickets are on one ticket each way. There is a sheet of paper I printed out with our names on it and seat location but it is not the train ticket, should I bring this also with me. Sorry for all the train ticket questions I just never used the train system in Italy and don't want to screw it up. Thanks for any help Linda

Good question. It would be helpful if you gave more info about those tickets (like which country, reserved seat, etc). But as a general rule, if your printed ticket is for a specific train and time (which is clearly printed on the ticket) you would not need to validate. The primary purpose of the validation procedure is to simply put a time/date stamp on an open ticket so that it cannot be reused (it also starts the clock running on the validity of certain tickets that are valid for X number of hours).

Hank

Tickets that have no seat reservation on them need to be validated before travel, as they could be used over and over again if not validated. If you have a paper ticket that does not go in machine ask Trenitalia staff .

Travel tickets that have seat reservations on them will be date and train

specific and do not need to be validated .,, as they are only valid the specific date and train .

Seat reservation tickets are not travel tickets, but are required in addition to a rail travel ticket to travel on a train where seat reservations are compulsory ..

You do not need to validate if you bought a specific timed ticket. You do need to provide the ticket collector the PNR code which will be on the confirmation you received.

The confirmation will detail the train number, date, departure and arrival stations and times, carriage (which car), place (which seats).

The PNR code is the essential item which proves you paid for the ticket.

You will need to check the board to find out which track the train is leaving from. Look for the train number vs your destination as trains are listed by final destination (ie Pisa Centrale which stops at Civitavecchia).

And don't miss your train as timed tickets cannot be used on another train except for the one you specifically purchased.

It's really quite easy. Just give yourself lots of time as Termini is quite large and bustling and your platform could be a little bit of a walk.

And mind your personal belongings as pickpockets frequent stations and trains.

Edited by TravelBugM

My tickets are for a specific train and time with coach # and seat assignment. So I guess I just need to bring all that on the train with the printed ticket and not worry about trying to get it validated before I get on the train. I will be traveling from Rome to Naples. Thanks for all the help Linda

My tickets are for a specific train and time with coach # and seat assignment. So I guess I just need to bring all that on the train with the printed ticket and not worry about trying to get it validated before I get on the train. I will be traveling from Rome to Naples. Thanks for all the help Linda

Correct. Just enjoy your trip.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums