Confused on Internet prices

Kudos2Fly

Looking at the prices for the internet. We will be going on a 11 day cruise. I have found two different prices.

$9.99 per hour (continuous only)

$34.99 per day (24 hours)

$149.99 Voyage Rate (7 days)

One-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

Basic time charge $0.75 per minute, pay as you go, or purchase a Discounted Time Plan

250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute

100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute

Time Plan minutes can be used anytime throughout the cruise

Not sure which one we will be using? Plus does this work in the cabin? There will be two of us using the internet. Mainly to keep up on our email and communication with business stuff. So probably will only be checking the email every couple of days.

So frankly the 100 minutes would work just fine for us. We would not be using the internet to "serf" only to check mail.

Edited by Kudos2Fly

Looking at the prices for the internet. We will be going on a 11 day cruise. I have found two different prices.

One-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

Basic time charge $0.75 per minute, pay as you go, or purchase a Discounted Time Plan

250 minutes for $100.00, $0.40 per minute

100 minutes for $55.00, $0.55 per minute

Time Plan minutes can be used anytime throughout the cruise

Not sure which one we will be using? Plus does this work in the cabin? There will be two of us using the internet. Mainly to keep up on our email and communication with business stuff. So probably will only be checking the email every couple of days.

So frankly the 100 minutes would work just fine for us. We would not be using the internet to "serf" only to check mail.

Our Westerdam cruise last week had two additional packages:

500 minutes for $175

1000 minutes for $250

With the new internet service provider, the speed is reduced so more minutes are used just going from url to url.

We connected from both our Deck 5 aft cabin the first week and an amidships cabin on Deck 6 the second week.

Our Westerdam cruise last week had two additional packages:

500 minutes for $175

1000 minutes for $250

With the new internet service provider, the speed is reduced so more minutes are used just going from url to url.

We connected from both our Deck 5 aft cabin the first week and an amidships cabin on Deck 6 the second week.

Was an unlimited option given? Who is the new internet service provider?

The unlimited time was a limited time ;) test on the Zuiderdam in the early part of the Alaska season. All they other ships still have the by the minute pricing.

Was an unlimited option given? Who is the new internet service provider?

Harris Corporation is the provider for HAL and it seems like all of the Carnival Corporation ships (from reading other threads).

I don't recall seeing "unlimited" but there is a $0.75 pay as you go plan that you could turn into unlimited by just keep paying the same rate.

Harris Corporation is the provider for HAL and it seems like all of the Carnival Corporation ships (from reading other threads).

I don't recall seeing "unlimited" but there is a $0.75 pay as you go plan that you could turn into unlimited by just keep paying the same rate.

Thanks. I think Princess is still using MTN. I would be willing to pay for the unlimited version. I know RCCL has this on several of their ships and has for years. They use someone else.

It seems this short test pricing on the Zuiderdam was not well received, as we haven't heard of it anywhere else since.

Whether WiFi will work in your cabin is dependent on the actual ship and the location of your cabin. For example, last year we did a long cruise on the Westerdam and there was no usable WiFi signal in our cabin. I had to go out to a public area whenever I wanted to use the internet or get our e-mails. HAL continues to offer some of the worst internet service in the industry. A friend of ours likes to say that HAL is an old cruise line run by old folks with old ideas :(. The idea of improving their internet service will probably occur to the top executives by the next century.

Hank

Whether WiFi will work in your cabin is dependent on the actual ship and the location of your cabin. For example, last year we did a long cruise on the Westerdam and there was no usable WiFi signal in our cabin. I had to go out to a public area whenever I wanted to use the internet or get our e-mails. HAL continues to offer some of the worst internet service in the industry. A friend of ours likes to say that HAL is an old cruise line run by old folks with old ideas :(. The idea of improving their internet service will probably occur to the top executives by the next century.

Hank

They did have WIFI before Princess did. Sorry to hear they didn't keep up.

Thanks for clarifying. When on vacation we do cut back on the internet, but would like to keep up with some email.

The prices by minutes is what I'm use to. We have used the cruise ship internet before.

I'm not looking to browse the internet or upload big files. Just get online with Chaos Intellect to check our mail.

It seems this short test pricing on the Zuiderdam was not well received, as we haven't heard of it anywhere else since.

I can understand that, that pricing seems very expensive. I hope that was per cabin and not per person. :eek: $150 just to check mail for a week is expensive. It would have to wait for that much money.

I can understand that, that pricing seems very expensive. I hope that was per cabin and not per person. :eek: $150 just to check mail for a week is expensive. It would have to wait for that much money.
It was "per account" just like the pricing you are used to. As many people as you give your username and password to could share it, but only one at a time I think. DH does all his email writing and reading off-line and usually uses about 5 min per day connected, so none of the unlimited time options was a good deal for him. Edited by catl331

I'm pretty sure it was for 2 devices.

Thanks for letting me know. If I keep up with my email and just delete ALL the junk mail, I normally only have a couple of quick emails to respond to. So shouldn't take long for me to be online. This will be the first time I will be using the service. Hubby has used the internet on the ships more.

Hank

I've found the internet to be the same on both Princess and Hal. There are problems with both. I wonder why you've struggled so much with Hal's.