Best Way From Livorno to Florence?

Netty

If there are six of you, you might find that the mini-van with private driver will actually be very economical, especially with the convenience. We use a private driver and manage to get to the sites we are most interested in ahead of the crowd too. There were five of us and we found we were able to do a private guide and keep the expense very reasonable.

• 1 month later...

my mom and i are first time cruisers and trying to figure out what time we should buy our tickets for to see david

we are planning on taking the train to florence also but are wondering how long it takes to get to the train station from the port and how long it takes to get to the museum once we get into florence.

our ship gets into livorno at 8am

thanks!!

• 2 months later...

Beth

just back from Florence - i took a train from Rome and got in around 850am.

I jumped into a taxi at the train station and was first in line (November 1st) and bought our tickets for the Accadamia with NO wait. We went right in and saw David.

The only disappointment was we were not allowed to take a photo of David.

Not sure about the trains from Livorno. Sorry

Talent

• 7 months later...
If there are six of you, you might find that the mini-van with private driver will actually be very economical, especially with the convenience. We use a private driver and manage to get to the sites we are most interested in ahead of the crowd too. There were five of us and we found we were able to do a private guide and keep the expense very reasonable.

Can you suggest a way to find a private driver to make a reservation ahead? we will be there October 5, 2014

Thanks for any advice.

We would just remind folks that there are frequent trains from Livorno to Florence that are pretty cheap and often faster then land transportation.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our ship is scheduled to be in port starting at 8:00AM. How likely would we be to make the 9:12AM train?

Thank you Hank for your always-helpful comments!

Livorno is a somewhat unique port in that it is nearly impossible to get out of the port without being on a tour, having a rental car that is delivered to the pier, or by a taxi. The cruise line shuttle buses often do not even start until around 9 and do not go anywhere near the train station.

So, your ability to make the 9:12 is totally dependent on your ability to persuade a taxi to take you to the train station (for which you will be charged 20-25 Euros for the entire taxi). Many drivers will refuse the short haul. We have usually had good success by being among the first off our ship and then assertively asking drivers if they will take us to the station or find us a taxi that will take us to the station. The time to drive to the station will be no more then 15 min (a little faster if traffic is light).

Hank