Pros &Cons: Amstrak versus Megabolt/PeterPan

camly

• 2 years later...
Peter Pan, MegaBus, BoltBus or the Asian bus lines are all reliable and "safe" transport for Manhattan to DC. If you book your tickets in advance of your cruise, you can get a one-way or roundtrip ticket for dirt cheap. If I decide to take Mega or Bolt from Philly for a June cruise, one-way is $0.50=fifty cents:eek:

I would stay away from the "Asian" unbranded street corner pick up and drop off (apologies to the Tappet Brothers) buses. No guarantee of a safe vehicle or driver and getting luggage on and off at a street corner will be a hassle.

Go to Penn Station and get a train. Trains run back and forth all day. They may not be Amtrac but will still get you there. They are commuter trains.

Not exactly correct. The only way to go from NYP to DC without changing trains is on Amtrak. Can you go NJT to SEPTA to MARC to Union Station? Yes. But you will change trains several times at stations without porters.

Those Van Hool double deckers Megabus operates have low headroom, and don't ride nearly as well as the Prevosts that Bolt operates with the same low fare opportunity, yet Bolt boards from a comfortable terminal, instead of waiting out in the elements on some street corner.

This. I will add that one should take a close look at Mega's safety record before considering them.