Cashew wine

calmpets

I'm interested in picking up a couple of bottles of cashew wine, but I don't see a good way to get them back to Connecticut. Are there any shops in Belize that are willing to ship it to the USA? I'm happy to pay shipping just to get it home, but I'd like to know a reputable place that offers that service.

Ummmm....ours was DIS-gusting!

I loved Belize...so excited to be going back there in Dec.....but I think we were totally duped into buying this stuff.....

Unless you have some great tip on how/when to drink it....

You did the right thing..lol It is not good at all.....last time I drank I had been drinking all day and we opened up a bottle we had....

Sorry to say, but i 100% agree. Cashew wine is undrinkable. Locals don't drink it and tourists that know better, don't either. For alcohol that is worth drinking that is from Belize, One Barrel Rum (amber rum) or Caribbean Rum (white) are definitely the way to go. And don't forget to grab at least one bottle of Marie Sharps hot sauce, it really is Belize's best!

Sorry to say, but i 100% agree. Cashew wine is undrinkable. Locals don't drink it and tourists that know better, don't either. For alcohol that is worth drinking that is from Belize, One Barrel Rum (amber rum) or Caribbean Rum (white) are definitely the way to go. And don't forget to grab at least one bottle of Marie Sharps hot sauce, it really is Belize's best!

Most people i know that drink rum prefer the Dark Caribbean Rum.

I'm interested in picking up a couple of bottles of cashew wine, but I don't see a good way to get them back to Connecticut. Are there any shops in Belize that are willing to ship it to the USA? I'm happy to pay shipping just to get it home, but I'd like to know a reputable place that offers that service.

Please,don't waste your money...as others have posted. There's an old story floating around in Belize that the reason the highways there are so crooked and curvy is because the surveyors drank too much cashew wine each night while laying out the roadway:D. Vey high alcohol content.

But if you insist on obtaining a bottle and seeing for your selves, bring some bubble wrap with you and when you get back to the ship, if they "hold" it for you util the last night, just wrap it well in the bubble wrap and pack it amongst the dirty clothing in your suitcase. if you're on an excursion, you might get the driver to stop at a local store and you can pick up a bottle. I'm sure the stuff in the Tourist Village where the tenders dock is over priced.

I also wanted to experience this cashew wine. I ignored all the comments I had read, I mean how bad could it be? I purchased a bottle and wrapped it up tightly in a couple of shirts and had it travel home in my baggage. A week after I got home I figured it was time to crack that baby open. Well I was only able to choke down 1 glass, the rest went right down the drain. Think of the worse medicine you had to take as a kid, well.. they did a fantastic job of capturing that taste in cashew wine. Later on that evening I had to spend over an hour in the bathroom, now I have never heard of wine doing that to a person, but lets just say this cashew wine went right through me, yech! never again!

Hmm. I was under the impression that most places that sold it allowed you to taste it first. Is this not the case?

Our tour guide stopped and purchased it from what appeared to be a hardware store:D and we only paid about a dollar per bottle. In the duty free shops it was more expensive. We put the bottles in our checked luggage and had no problems bringing it back home.

It has to be the worst drink I have ever tasted!! Must be an acquired taste:)

I too had plans on bringing back a few bottles to use as unique gift giving and worried how I would best get these home. Our guide passed around a bottle on the bus. We each got a medicine cup full and there was no way i could finish it. Seriously the cup was dripping this sticky stuff and I wanted it gone but couldn't bring myself to gulp the mouthful. It was really horrible. My husband drinks Southern Comfort and had trouble getting it down. Needless to say I didn't bring any back. Not a wine taste to me more like a sickly sweet intense cough syrup oddly with a cashew scent.

Oh wow. I'm kinda shocked to read this thread with everyone saying that the cashew wine is so bad.

Prior to our cruise a few weeks ago, I had read people talking about buying cashew wine and it was a must. I didn't think much about it because we are not really "wine" people (mostly beer and fruity drinks).

After our cave tubing trip, they took us to their place to have the most delicious food ever! (Yea, we had several plates). They had talked about the different things on the island that they made wine with...cashew being one and showed us the trees.

After everyone ate, they let us taste the wine...and we liked it! So did a lot of other people there too. A lot of us bought it. It was $12 a bottle.

The ship does confiscate it when you board and hold it until the last day of the cruise and you can pick it up (it's even chilled for you). :eek:

We put ours in tons of clothes and in the middle of the suitcase. Didn't have a problem with the airline breaking it or anything.

It's still sitting in our refrigerator (thinking about opening it for my hubbys birthday next month).

Now I'm starting to wonder. :eek: Is it possible different places make it different? Is it possible they let you taste one thing, but sell you something else? It has me wanting to pop open this bottle and see now. :p

after you open it, come back and tell us how it was.:D

I definitely will. :D

That sounds like a warning to me!

Wonder if it is really a machine lubricant?!? :rolleyes:

Oh gosh, don't say that...that's almost what it looks like sitting in the bottle. :eek:

definitely will pass on the cashew wine, after reading these posts, but, just wondering: can you get the nuts? same as what we know cashews to be in US? and, if so, where's best place to buy?

thanks.

I'm not sure if you can buy the nuts or not, but I have a whole new appreciation of cashews (and the outrageous price they charge for them). They told me how they get/make the cashews and showed us the trees they grow from. For each cashew, there is a fruit around the outside, 1 nut inside, and 1 seed. There are not a lot on each tree and it could take 4 or 5 trees to make just a bag of cashews. :eek: No wonder they cost so much. Yikes

• 1 year later...

my husband and i did a land vacation in belize. after snorkeling, we spent a day at caye caulker with another couple. we bought a bottle of cashew wine, found a bench in the shade on the beach, and passed the bottle around. good memory, good drink :)

we also looked for cashews on the island, asking all the locals and shop keepers we could find. the only cashews we found was a can of them in a grocery store, the same you can buy in the u.s.

we bought a 2nd bottle of cashew wine and took it home to share, everyone was a fan. if you get an opportunity to try it, i'd say go for it and take a sip.

Archived