Euro currency exchange

I need about $750 of Euro cash for a cruise in September. The alternatives are: 1. getting all the Euro in the U.S. from a bank prior to departure, or 2. getting all the Euro in Europe from bank ATM's when I get there, or 3. combination of above.

I will be visiting Italy (Rome, then Florence), France (Cannes) and Spain (Barcelona). Does anyone have any updated advice on this topic? What is the normal daily withdrawal limit of Europe ATM's these days? Is safety an issue when taking this amount of cash from ATM's in Rome's Airport? Service fee of ATM vs. U.S. banks etc.

Thanks in advance.

This topic is discussed extensively on the European boards. The "best", in terms of less expensive, best exchange rates, lowest fees, is ATMs in Europe. Have done this every year for the last 6 years.

Edited by CruiserBruce

This topic is discussed extensively on the European boards. The "best", in terms of less expensive, best exchange rates, lowest fees, is ATMs in Europe. Have done this every year for the last 6 years.

Okay, thanks for the lead. I looked it up and found the thread (I think that's the one). Looks like ATM is the way to go.

As you have done it many times before, would you know if there are Citibank ATM's at the Rome FCO Airport?

Okay, thanks for the lead. I looked it up and found the thread (I think that's the one). Looks like ATM is the way to go.

As you have done it many times before, would you know if there are Citibank ATM's at the Rome FCO Airport?

I have never seen any US bank ATMs in Europe. Paribus is something of an exception, as they are a French bank that bought our bank (Bank of the West).

More commonly, one looks for the system affiliated with your bank, like Plus, or Cirrus.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You can check with your bank to find out what banks in a given country are affiliated with them. If you are lucky enough to find one, your home bank may not charge you any withdrawal fee. This info can often be found on your bank's website.

(Also, FYI, bank ATMs in Europe do not charge a withdrawal fee -- that is something your own US bank does. ;))

The lowest will be at an in country ATM.

Bes sure to let your bank know your travel plans so they don't think there is fraud on your account and be sure to know how much money you can you can withdraw each day.

Keith

ATM is the best ..

@we're sailing away

Yes, ATM is the way to go. By the way, I look at your sailing schedule for 2015 as listed. Did I calculate it correctly? You are going to spend 1/3 of your time on various cruises!

What do you do? Take different cruises to go around the world, or take similar cruises just to enjoy on-board living?

• 2 weeks later...
@we're sailing away

Yes, ATM is the way to go. By the way, I look at your sailing schedule for 2015 as listed. Did I calculate it correctly? You are going to spend 1/3 of your time on various cruises!

What do you do? Take different cruises to go around the world, or take similar cruises just to enjoy on-board living?

Hi We treat it like having a 2nd home but we spend more time on ships than most people spend in a 2nd home We have seen about 33% of the world from ships ..

Edited by we're sailing away....